Quantcast

Parole her for Crissake!

Originally posted by Damn True

TEAM FAT?

Yes, interesting little paradox there isn't it? I myself am not 100% comfortable with it.

Jesus will not condemn, God can forgive. But given the opportunity to do so I will lock killers up and melt the key. The worst of them, should recieve the death penalty.

I seriously don't buy Yeates's defense any more than I buy Dan Whites Twinkie defense.
OK, so you are telling me that everyone who kills should be locked up? Regardless of the motivation? Then you better build tons of more prisons for all of the people who have killed in war efforts as well as corporations that indirectly contribute to thousands of deaths a year...oh, but do those not count?

JesusFreak

Chimp
Oct 30, 2001
Boulder,CO
regarding the question "would jesus condone the death penalty?", i am convinced the bible (his word) shows that he does...

paul the apostle (romans 13): "....no authority except which God has established... God's servant to do good, but be afraid if you do wrong, for he (gov't) does not carry the sword for nothing. (gov't) is God's agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Jesus (revelation): "...i am the one who searches the hearts and minds, and i will repay each according to his/her deeds".

some biblical doctrine to help understand...

the law (old testament) will show you that you have broken the law and, therefore, are due punishment. actually, if you really do a thorough examination, you'll find you're (each one of us) worthy of the death penalty. the law shows us that we are law breakers and is supposed to make us flee to christ, via faith and repentance, for forgiveness and grace. christ died to take our (the believer's) place in punishment, thereby establishing a favorable relationship with God and delivering such a one from God's due wrath on his/her sin.

with that in mind, this country (believe it or not) was founded on Christian principles. biblical doctrine was very much a part of the formation of our judicial system. the bible talks about justice and mercy, and our system is designed to make use of both. justice, because it's necessary for society. mercy, because we would all be condemned without it and it makes room for renewal with repentance.

so, according to biblical doctrine, it would not be a crime for her to have received the death penalty (if she indeed intentionally murdered). it is considered mercy to let her live. it would be consdered an abomination to God to acquit the guilty. it would be considered mercy to set her free, but it would be partly the government's resposibiltiy if she did bad again.

we, as people, tend to evaluate ourselves (good or evil) based on both our own bias and society's bias. this is a major difference from biblical doctrine, which clearly states that God has established the standard. Seeing that we have all fallen short of his target, we cannot find fault with what He might do with/to us. actually, we should give thanks for every moment of undeserved life.

the above might sound rediculous to the unbeliever but, i would ask, everyone should realize that personal denial of something does not negate it's validity. in other words, just because a person does not believe or accept God, this does not change the existance and power of God. the point is that every society ought to be VERY careful how they react/respond to God. To ignore, deny, and depart from Him would be ok IF (huge IF) He does, in absolute fact, not exist. if He does, it's horrible suicide with eternal regret.

and LF, i want to be sensative here, but i must tell you that catholicism is playing with fire. i've been personally invloved in a situation that had me yelling at God for the death of a precious young girl, only to get a response that made me realize how serious God is about things, and how far from perfect even the best of us is. read jeremiah 44 and consider catholicism's practices regarding mary and the 'saints'. anyway, while i believe one can be saved through catholicism by faith in the true christ, the adultery of the doctrine endangers staying there and inevitably the believer will be faced with a choice between catholic doctrine and biblical doctrine.

Originally posted by JesusFreak

and LF, i want to be sensative here, but i must tell you that catholicism is playing with fire. i've been personally invloved in a situation that had me yelling at God for the death of a precious young girl, only to get a response that made me realize how serious God is about things, and how far from perfect even the best of us is. read jeremiah 44 and consider catholicism's practices regarding mary and the 'saints'. anyway, while i believe one can be saved through catholicism by faith in the true christ, the adultery of the doctrine endangers staying there and inevitably the believer will be faced with a choice between catholic doctrine and biblical doctrine.
I don't understand this part of your argument...:confused:

Z

Zonic Man

regarding the question "would jesus condone the death penalty?", i am convinced the bible (his word) shows that he does...

paul the apostle (romans 13): "....no authority except which God has established... God's servant to do good, but be afraid if you do wrong, for he (gov't) does not carry the sword for nothing. (gov't) is God's agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Jesus (revelation): "...i am the one who searches the hearts and minds, and i will repay each according to his/her deeds".

some biblical doctrine to help understand...

the law (old testament) will show you that you have broken the law and, therefore, are due punishment. actually, if you really do a thorough examination, you'll find you're (each one of us) worthy of the death penalty. the law shows us that we are law breakers and is supposed to make us flee to christ, via faith and repentance, for forgiveness and grace. christ died to take our (the believer's) place in punishment, thereby establishing a favorable relationship with God and delivering such a one from God's due wrath on his/her sin.

with that in mind, this country (believe it or not) was founded on Christian principles. biblical doctrine was very much a part of the formation of our judicial system. the bible talks about justice and mercy, and our system is designed to make use of both. justice, because it's necessary for society. mercy, because we would all be condemned without it and it makes room for renewal with repentance.

so, according to biblical doctrine, it would not be a crime for her to have received the death penalty (if she indeed intentionally murdered). it is considered mercy to let her live. it would be consdered an abomination to God to acquit the guilty. it would be considered mercy to set her free, but it would be partly the government's resposibiltiy if she did bad again.

we, as people, tend to evaluate ourselves (good or evil) based on both our own bias and society's bias. this is a major difference from biblical doctrine, which clearly states that God has established the standard. Seeing that we have all fallen short of his target, we cannot find fault with what He might do with/to us. actually, we should give thanks for every moment of undeserved life.

the above might sound rediculous to the unbeliever but, i would ask, everyone should realize that personal denial of something does not negate it's validity. in other words, just because a person does not believe or accept God, this does not change the existance and power of God. the point is that every society ought to be VERY careful how they react/respond to God. To ignore, deny, and depart from Him would be ok IF (huge IF) He does, in absolute fact, not exist. if He does, it's horrible suicide with eternal regret.

You're a sick, sick man.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by LeatherFace

But killing is killing, isn't it? And I'm saying you should know the difference between Leslie Van Houten and Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy---not in the same category.

How do you figure?

They both killed people who weren't hurting anyone. Was LaBinaca a threat to Van Houten? No. Murder is murder.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Zonic Man

You're a sick, sick man.
That dosen't help.

If you disagree with one of his points rebutt it. But don't throw an insult. We know you are a bright guy, we know you can make valid arguments on both sides of nearly any issue, but that tactic diminishes your cred.

So you are saying that our government has been established by God, therefore the actions it takes is righteous because God is backing it? So God-->government-->death penalty ok? Is that what you are saying?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Oh come on.

Tell me you are not saying collateral damage in combat is the same thing as that Van Houten thing?

The difference is that the pilot (and my God I wouldn't want to live with this all my life and Im sure he dosen't either) who dropped on the Canadian unit did not intend to nor did he know he was killing Canadians.

I assure you the guys that dropped on the wedding did not intend to nor did they know they were going to drop on a wedding.

The soldier that is responsible for a friendly fire injury of a fellow soldier did not intend to nor does he know he is going to kill another US or Allied soldier.

Van Houten got up that morning knowing she was going to kill someone. Got in the car. Drove over there and took part in, to whatever degree, the killing of an innocent. She knew she was going to do it, and intended to do it. Bundy commited his crimes knowing exactly what he was doing.

You know there is a differnce.

Oh come on.

Tell me you are not saying collateral damage in combat is the same thing as that Van Houten thing?

The difference is that the pilot (and my God I wouldn't want to live with this all my life and Im sure he dosen't either) who dropped on the Canadian unit did not intend to nor did he know he was killing Canadians.

I assure you the guys that dropped on the wedding did not intend to nor did they know they were going to drop on a wedding.

The soldier that is responsible for a friendly fire injury of a fellow soldier did not intend to nor does he know he is going to kill another US or Allied soldier.

Excuses, excuses. Isn't killing, killing DT? So what about the My Lai Massacre? 300 innocent civilians were gunned down by the 11th Brigade, and yet only 1 person, Lt. William Calley, was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. Hmmmmm, suppose he killed all 300 people? And I'm sure this isn't an isolated thing---but according to you, killing is justified if it is a war effort, regardless because some death "wasn't intended." Sounds like a cop-out to me.

And for the record, Leslie didn't wake up in the morning knowing what was going to happen. That night, Charlie told her to get a change of clothes and do whatever Tex Watson told her to do.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
Originally posted by ohio

Basically, the argument that the Germans were "simply following orders" no longer holds any water.

There's obviously more to it, but I don't really feel like typing it all out. If I can find a link, I'll post some more recent studies...
ironically...every German soilder had the choice of walking away from whatever order he felt he could not handle and the commanding officer could not do anything about it. those directly involved in the mass murder of the Jews were most likely recruited, hand picked or volunteers.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego

Excuses, excuses. Isn't killing, killing DT? So what about the My Lai Massacre? 300 innocent civilians were gunned down by the 11th Brigade, and yet only 1 person, Lt. William Calley, was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. Hmmmmm, suppose he killed all 300 people? And I'm sure this isn't an isolated thing---but according to you, killing is justified if it is a war effort, regardless because some death "wasn't intended." Sounds like a cop-out to me.
I don't think deaths are "intended" in a war. They're expected. People will die, it's just the nature of war. I'm sure those in charge do what they can to prevent civilian casualties.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001

And for the record, Leslie didn't wake up in the morning knowing what was going to happen. That night, Charlie told her to get a change of clothes and do whatever Tex Watson told her to do.
Whatever.

Quite simply, no. Killing is not killing. Mai-Lai was an aberation and the officer in command was held liable for it.

Killing in war is different. It just is. I nor anyone who has ever seen a situation in which a weapon must be brought to bear can explain it in a way you can understand. It just is.

I don't know or understand what your deal is with this Van Houten woman, but I'd venture to guess that there is something deeper here than you are sharing.

We can sit here and come up with shocking exceptions to each others arguments until we are blue in the face but it wont change the following.

Bottom line. She had the choice not to do what Tex Watson told her. She chose not to. She took part in the killing. She was tried, convicted, and sentanced. She now has to serve that sentance. She got lucky in that the Death sentance was commuted. Be thankfull for that I guess.

I sincerely hope she stays right where she is.

Whatever.

Quite simply, no. Killing is not killing. Mai-Lai was an aberation and the officer in command was held liable for it.
But no one else? Why was he made to be the person to brunt all of the blame? Or were the soldiers in his command "just following orders." An innocent dead person is still an innocent dead person, regardless who killed them...but according to you, the Tate-LaBiancas were innocents who shouldn't have been killed, but the 300 civilians at My Lai were mere casualties of the war.

Killing in war is different. It just is. I nor anyone who has ever seen a situation in which a weapon must be brought to bear can explain it in a way you can understand. It just is.
Wow...that really cleared it up for me. That's like me asking my mom when I was seven why I couldn't do something and she would say "Because." "Because why?" I would return. "Because I said so."

I don't know or understand what your deal is with this Van Houten woman, but I'd venture to guess that there is something deeper here than you are sharing.

Oh, trying to uncover some deep seated psychological meaning? No, merely trying to point out that we as humans are afraid of the wrong things, and condone the wrong things. It's the same reason why I was glad Andrea Yates wasn't sentenced to death--it makes me ill when we are reduced to being on the same level as the killers by wanting to kill them or show them no mercy. We have a double standard, that's all. "Ok, well killing in this situation is okay, but in this situation it isn't." Pretty wishy-washy and self serving if you asked me...:rolleyes:

Z

Zonic Man

That dosen't help.

If you disagree with one of his points rebutt it. But don't throw an insult. We know you are a bright guy, we know you can make valid arguments on both sides of nearly any issue, but that tactic diminishes your cred.
Not an insult at all, I truely believe he is a mentally ill person.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
But no one else? Why was he made to be the person to brunt all of the blame? Or were the soldiers in his command "just following orders." An innocent dead person is still an innocent dead person, regardless who killed them...but according to you, the Tate-LaBiancas were innocents who shouldn't have been killed, but the 300 civilians at My Lai were mere casualties of the war.
Because that is part of the responsibility of command. A commander is ultimately responsible for the conduct of those whith whom he is charged to command. He would have been liable if even one soldier had acted improperly w/o being told to do so. You know full well I am not saying that one innocent life is worth more than another. Don't put words in my mouth. You asked someone else to not do that a couple days ago.

Wow...that really cleared it up for me. That's like me asking my mom when I was seven why I couldn't do something and she would say "Because." "Because why?" I would return. "Because I said so."
Frusterating isn't it? It always bugged me when my Dad did that too. Especially when, like I am now, he was right. ;) :D :love: You can't understand it. I can't explain it in a way that you will.

Oh, trying to uncover some deep seated psychological meaning? No, merely trying to point out that we as humans are afraid of the wrong things, and condone the wrong things. It's the same reason why I was glad Andrea Yates wasn't sentenced to death--it makes me ill when we are reduced to being on the same level as the killers by wanting to kill them or show them no mercy. We have a double standard, that's all. "Ok, well killing in this situation is okay, but in this situation it isn't." Pretty wishy-washy and self serving if you asked me...
Call it whatever you want. Fear? Yeah. Iam afraid. Afraid of recitivism. If that means we keep all the murderers in jail to prevent 10% of them from killing again than so be it. They are killers I don't feel a great loss to keep a killer in jail as a means of preventing other deaths. Unfair. Probably. So is a lot of stuff. But I think it's a lot more unfair for a mom to loose their child than for a killer to stay in jail.

Because that is part of the responsibility of command. A commander is ultimately responsible for the conduct of those whith whom he is charged to command. He would have been liable if even one soldier had acted improperly w/o being told to do so. You know full well I am not saying that one innocent life is worth more than another. Don't put words in my mouth. You asked someone else to not do that a couple days ago.
So the soldiers in the troop were exonerated because the commander was the one to take the blame? Doesn't sound very fair to me...sounds like he was the "fall guy."

Frusterating isn't it? It always bugged me when my Dad did that too. Especially when, like I am now, he was right. You can't understand it. I can't explain it in a way that you will.
Why won't I be able to understand it? Is there some secret knowledge that you have that I don't?

Call it whatever you want. Fear? Yeah. Iam afraid. Afraid of recitivism. If that means we keep all the murderers in jail to prevent 10% of them from killing again than so be it. They are killers I don't feel a great loss to keep a killer in jail as a means of preventing other deaths.
Statistics have consistently shown that out of all the criminals who have been released on parole, murderers have the lowest recidivism...

Released prisoners with the highest rearrest rates were robbers (70.2%), burglars (74.0%), larcenists (74.6%), motor vehicle thieves (78.8%), those in prison for possessing or selling stolen property (77.4%), and those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).

Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide. (from the Bureau of Justice Statistics)

Z

Zonic Man

Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide. (from the Bureau of Justice Statistics)
Look...

First off, these are WITHIN 3 years. Sexual assaultants have some of the highest recivitism rates. They RARELY, if ever "socialize" properly.

Secondly, look at the people who are getting out for first/second degee murder, and there is where you get your low rates. These are felony murderers, not people convicted of manslaughter. And there are VERY few who get paroled who commit the same offense. HOWEVER, there is a VERY high recitivism rate amongst those paroles in their committing other crimes and returning back to the justice system. I used to deal with these people every day, and see their files EVERY DAY. Real files, and real people, not classroom statistics.

Originally posted by Zonic Man

Real files, and real people, not classroom statistics.
But these statistics are compiled by our government...I got them off of the Bureau of Justice Statistics website. Are you telling me that they are wrong just because of your personal experience? I had a professor once who said "Anecdotal evidence is not factual evidence." I'm just spouting what the numbers say, but because of your personal experience, you are able to refute the numbers? Hmmmm, have you told the heads of major government agencies about your abilities? I'm sure they would love to know how your experiences blow all of their research out of the water.

Z

Zonic Man

But these statistics are compiled by our government...I got them off of the Bureau of Justice Statistics website. Are you telling me that they are wrong just because of your personal experience? I had a professor once who said "Anecdotal evidence is not factual evidence." I'm just spouting what the numbers say, but because of your personal experience, you are able to refute the numbers? Hmmmm, have you told the heads of major government agencies about your abilities? I'm sure they would love to know how your experiences blow all of their research out of the water.
Did you read a thing I wrote before you puked on your keyboard?

The recitivism rates are based upon the people committing the same offenses, not their future criminality.

Oh, and BTW, I'm not just an egghead who hasn't had any real life experience with the criminal justice system. Apart from studying violent offenders for close to 13 years, I work at a juvenile detention center as a corrections officer.
Ah....I see. That explains it. a C.O. Got ya.

Z

Zonic Man

Well wasn't that Damn True's point? He was concerned that if we release murderers they will kill again?
Where was I talking about his point?

I was just attempting to clear up your misconceptions.

Z

Zonic Man

But I was responding to his point about recidivism and then you chimed in...
LOL.

What part of "open message board" don't you understand?

Z

Zonic Man

Really? What does he suffer from? What is your diagnosis...uh...doctor? Because you've been to medical school, right? At least I would think as you are able to diagnose whether someone is mentally ill or not...right?

The part where I was responding to a specific post and you come in to tell me that I'm "puking" all over my keyboard because what I am talking about, and what you are trying to illustrate, are two different things.
You are reaching, but not quite there yet.

Keep the comedy coming, though.

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia

Leather Face,

The 11th Brigade didnot kill anyone at My Lai it was one company under the comand of Lt. Calley who may or may not have been following an unlawful order from his superior. Yes the soldier and especially the NCO under Calley, who should of refused to follow what was an unlawful, should of been held accountable and punished along with the Calley's chain of command. But you can hardly hold the other 4000 men in the Brigade responsble for something they had no part of. Also little know fact about the My Lai Massacre is that a helo crew put themselves between Calley men and a number of civilians.

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia

Whatever.

We can sit here and come up with shocking exceptions to each others arguments until we are blue in the face but it wont change the following.

Bottom line. She had the choice not to do what Tex Watson told her. She chose not to. She took part in the killing. She was tried, convicted, and sentanced. She now has to serve that sentance. She got lucky in that the Death sentance was commuted. Be thankfull for that I guess.

I sincerely hope she stays right where she is.

Dam True question?

Have you ever served in the Arm Forces of the United States? or of any Nato/Western Country? If so you would know that it is every soldier's responsiblity to refuse an unlawful order including order for the use of excessive force. Part of what happen at Mai-Lai can be blames on a weak NCO Corps.
All that was required to stop what happened at Mai-Lai was for the 1st Sgt or one of the PLt leader or Sgts to question Calley's orders. They didn't so they are as much to blame as he is and the fact that they were not tried or convicted does not make them innocent.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by mikec918

Dam True question?

Have you ever served in the Arm Forces of the United States? or of any Nato/Western Country? If so you would know that it is every soldier's responsiblity to refuse an unlawful order including order for the use of excessive force. Part of what happen at Mai-Lai can be blames on a weak NCO Corps.
All that was required to stop what happened at Mai-Lai was for the 1st Sgt or one of the PLt leader or Sgts to question Calley's orders. They didn't so they are as much to blame as he is and the fact that they were not tried or convicted does not make them innocent.
Yes I have. Eleven years.

Gee, no kidding. Thanks for straightening me out on the chain of command and lawfull orders.

dg806

Chimp
Apr 26, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I think we all will agree that war is a terrible thing. People will get killed and innocent civilians will die. Just like in Afghanastan right now. Our pilots are taking part in missions that bomb al-quaida hide outs! The sad part is they hide among civilians thinking we won't hit them. Sadaam's people did the same thing! They are cowards that kill! We have every right to do what we are doing to protect other innocent lives! And sadly innocent people in their country get killed....doesn't make it right, but it is necessary! LF, let me ask this.....All the murderes, rapists, and such....do you think we should just let them go hoping they will do better? Well you know that is just not going to happen! I am a police officer so I see this everyday! There has to be some type of punishment for crime in society as a deterrant. If not what is going to stop people from killing and commiting crimes?? And what if one of these brutal crimes happened to one of your loved ones? Would you still have the same opinion? And speaking of Susan Smith......She drove her kids in a lake and let them drown. Can you just imagine their faces, screams and horror?? I have kids and I can't imagine any crime more heinous than that!! She deserved to be killed! God put parents in charge of caring for their children, not killing them! I really respect your opinions, but I have to disagree totally with this type of liberal, bleeding heart way of thinking!

JOhnG

Chimp
Dec 23, 2001
DC
i don't get all this stuff about a master plan. you mean that the god you worship had a young girl get assulted by a stranger so that a software industrie tycoon could be born? i don't buy it. if there was a god and he was really in control how do things like the holocaust start, hmmm.... mabye he had millions of jews get killed so they could have thier own state?

as for the death penalty, it should be abolished, there is no way that the system could be right every time and taking an innocent persons life would lower you to the same level as criminals

and on abortion, if you don't like the idea of killing a fetus don't do it but please don't push your morals onto a 12 year old who got raped and impregnated. oh and if you ever took sex ed (my favorite class ever:D ) you would know that there is not a single contraceptive out there that is full proff.

and lastly could somebody tell me what happened w/ this girl who is up for perole.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by JOhnG

and lastly could somebody tell me what happened w/ this girl who is up for perole.
Look it up. She was involved in the whole "Manson" family. One of the "Manson Girls" convicted of multiple counts of first degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder. A real model citizen.

LF...one last thing...you've referred a couple time to things that each member did. Like Charles told her to do was Tex said, or she had this part in the murders, etc. The fact is, we'll never really know what happened at each murder. Charlie said his version and the girls said whatever they could to protect him. You don't know which one really wielded the knife. You don't really know what was actually said, what "orders" were actually given.

I understand that you're defending your belief in what's wrong with our system, but unfortunately it's coming off (at least to me) that you're defending these horrible horrible people. I just can't comprehend that.