Quantcast

Parts that ought to be common

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Isn't it inner diameter x outer diameter x thickness? So that would be 28 x 32 x 2 or 29 x 33 x 2. Or am I completely mistaken?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

might be a 29.5mm if you split the difference from your measurement

If you have a decent hardware store nearby they should have a few drawers of different sized o-rings. Can always take the part in and try the fit.
Been there, done that. The number of sizes continually decreases. I used to go to a bearing supplier in Williston for stuff like that, may drive up there and look.

I took the wheel to a local machinist and am having end caps of the proper width turned. We'll see how that goes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Been there, done that. The number of sizes continually decreases. I used to go to a bearing supplier in Williston for stuff like that, may drive up there and look.

I took the wheel to a local machinist and am having end caps of the proper width turned. We'll see how that goes.

Sadly hardware stores have turned into home fashion stores.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the fastenal by me closed :(
Booo

The pandemic closed what was one of the last old school hardware stores I know of around here. They had any nut bolt or tool you would ever need. However I think their lack of Live Love Laugh signs ultimately doomed them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Per Stan's "The O-rings on the outer groove of the 3.30 end caps are 2x25mm." Part number ZH0107. Not available through web site, but they're sending them.
I used to spend a lot of time in Elmira NY for work. Stans was located nearby in Horseheads. Needed some sealant once and called, he said to just swing by. He was running the operation out of a garage at the carwash/go kart track he owned. Gave me tour, introduced me to his family an provided an enthusiastic product demonstration with an ice pick.

There was a monkey back in the day who worked with him but I cannot remember who that was.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Booo

The pandemic closed what was one of the last old school hardware stores I know of around here. They had any nut bolt or tool you would ever need. However I think their lack of Live Love Laugh signs ultimately doomed them.
it closed long before the pandemic. kept weird hours, like only open till 5pm or something.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Booo

Haha, simple supply and demand right? Ain’t nobody got time for being self reliant. I have rights you know.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Haha, simple supply and demand right? Ain’t nobody got time for being self reliant. I have rights you know.

Well I think shit like amazon has contributed a lot to it. Such stores have had to rely a lot more on the emotional impulse buys. However any place I walk into that has something like a thread file will gain a loyal customer.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Booo

Hardwicks? That place ruled.

Though I think they moved to Idaho, didn't technically close.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My LBS is shutting down after 17 years. I am heading in tomorrow to pick up as many 11 spd drivetrain parts as I can afford. He has chains, cassettes, and derailleurs. My spare parts bin has dwindled down to cobwebs. It would be irresponsible to miss this opportunity to re-up. I nabbed some fresh rubber for the stash also.

I'm glad my friend is getting out in control of the situation rather than being eaten alive by creditors. It seems the traditional LBS business model is a dying thing.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Well I think shit like amazon has contributed a lot to it. Such stores have had to rely a lot more on the emotional impulse buys. However any place I walk into that has something like a thread file will gain a loyal customer.
Cause who wants to buy 6, US made stainless steel bolts at $1.29/per when you can get a 100 pack of the same bolts through Amazon made of "stainless" steel.

Made that mistake once, more than half were pure garbage, with the remainder being borderline bad. If it wasn't buggered threads it was the SAE sized heads on metric bolts.

Bolt in question:
Screenshot_20220202-140239_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My LBS is shutting down after 17 years. I am heading in tomorrow to pick up as many 11 spd drivetrain parts as I can afford. He has chains, cassettes, and derailleurs. My spare parts bin has dwindled down to cobwebs. It would be irresponsible to miss this opportunity to re-up. I nabbed some fresh rubber for the stash also.

I'm glad my friend is getting out in control of the situation rather than being eaten alive by creditors. It seems the traditional LBS business model is a dying thing.
Curious if they sell them at a discount/loss.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i could toss a few pesos your way if there's some xt level shimano stuff

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hardwicks? That place ruled.

Though I think they moved to Idaho, didn't technically close.
Yeah.

Didn't know they moved, was just closed the last time I went there. Could you imagine trying to pack up that mess to move?