Quantcast

Parvovirus in Dogs

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
So we brought home a new puppy on Monday, and on Tuesday he was diagnosed with Parvovirus. We were able to take him back to the Breeder who insisted that it was a false positive because he had his vaccinations a few days earlier. There were too many red flags, so we got our money back.

Now we want to get a new puppy, but we need to make sure the house isn't contaminated with Parvo. Our Vet said to clean any surface the dog touched diligently for a week. But with 3 kids, that nearly everything.

Im trying to wrap my head around how far down the rabbit hole of cleaning I go. Ive already stripped the couch cushions and will be washing the covers... Do I wash my 7 year olds bedding because her PJs touched the dog? Is everything that touched, anything the dog touched contaminated?

Ive already tried to call the breeder to see if he is actually sick or not, but she isnt taking my calls or replying to texts. Part of me thinks she just sold the puppy to the next family that came along, regardless if he was sick or if it actually was a false positive ...

Does anyone have any experience with cleaning up after possible Parvo?

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No personal experience, but wouldn't it be best just to wait a month or two as the parvovirus particles will get inactivated in that timeframe in an indoor environment unless the area is moist and dark? Outdoors they can survive longer.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
I totally get what your saying, but a couple months is long time for 3 little kids. That’s why I’m looking for input.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Been there with my cattle dogs, even with kiddos, Its tough but you gotta wait it out even after cleaning. Especially the yard. Bleach water in the house and spraying the whole yard from top to bottom is the key then waiting it out for it to go dormant, some say over a month is about as short as you can go even with treating the property. I suggest some other sort of critter that is parvo resistant in the mean time if they have to attach to something. My daughter had a hamster named keith and it lived just about as long as the shelf life for parvo (6mo) and it worked out well. Cats can get parvo as well so keep that in mind. Might want to let your neighbors know and spray your fence line pretty hard.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the replies!

The puppy had diarrhea, but didnt vomit while we had him. We took him in for a regular puppy check the day after we bought him. When we told the vet that he had diarrhea they tested him. We only had him at the house for about 22 hours.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Have any of you guys heard of a false positive on a parvo test because it was tested to close to the dog getting the vaccine?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Have any of you guys heard of a false positive on a parvo test because it was tested to close to the dog getting the vaccine?
Just a cursory search on google says no. A trained veterinary assistant should be able to identify upon examination the virus in a blood sample. Evidence of infection is visually evident or not.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Ya that’s whet the vet said too. That a false positive isn’t a thing? But man, there is a bunch of contradiction out there!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Fuckity fuck. My friend. I wish you well. But the test is looking at a sample of the infected animal's blood in a slide using a microscope. Upon visual inspection if the Virus can be observed and identified. A positive identification results in the Vet confirming the assistant's determination most of the time. Not much contradiction sadly. As I have been told. I wish you well...

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Interestingly enough, I just found out that they did a fecal test, not a blood test. My wife was the one that was at the vet, as I had to work. This whole time, I thought it was a blood test.

I'm going to text the breeder again today to see if I get any reply. At least knowing how the pup is 5 days later, even if he was ok and sold to another family, would give me a better direction to head in.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Yesterday afternoon I got ahold of the Breeder. The little dog is at the emergency vet on IV fluids, but it looks like he will pull thru. She is going to let us know how he is in a week or so, and if he pulls thru, we will likely buy him again.

This gives me a bit of a mental break knowing that; 1, we for sure have Parvo in the home; 2, we did the right thing by taking him back; 3, we may actually be able to have him as a pet, so the waiting game isn't as bad.

Plus once a dog has Parvo, they cant catch it again...

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
What I was told about Parvo from my vet:

Puppies have some maternal antibodies from their mother when they are born, and they may have them for up to 4 months. Those antibodies can interfere with the effectiveness of a vaccine, so they are given multiple vaccinations from 8-16 weeks because there isn't a way to determine exactly when the maternal antibodies are gone.

As the breeder found out, coming down with Parvo pretty much guarantees an expensive stay at the vet.

Much like the Wu Tang Clan, Parvovirus ain't nothin' to fuck with.