Quantcast

Password protecting my network?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I use the main computer (HP with P4 HT 3.0GHZ) for games with DSL and it all goes threw a network, from the DSL to a linksys 1.6ghz then I have a wire to my computer. Problem is, sometime when I play games my ping goes way up and my FPS goes way down at random moments. I check my computer and nothings going on...so I think someones stealing my internet.

Can anyone tell me how to speed it up by passwording? And is it possible my linksys is slowing me down with its 1.6 ghz? Maybe I should get a splitter for the DSL modem and link one to the Linksys and one to my HP computer?

P.S. My family uses the network, usually 2 labtops, but I know they arnt slowing me down...they just surf the web, and I've never had any problems before.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Am I being stupid? WTF is a 1.6ghz Linksys?

If your ping is spiking at "moments" and not consistently, then I doubt it's bandwidth theft. It's easy to turn on a password, though, do a search here - we've walked probably 10 people through it.

You can't use a "splitter" (no such thing, it'd actually be a switch) - you need the router to route traffic since you only have one IP address from your ISP.

drakan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia, USA
BV, at the very least, he could dig up one of his old PC's (Or even find one...) And set it up for ICS and/or Linux's version of DHCP/ICS.
Or, he could buy a cheap ass switch and give his computer a static IP

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hunh?

He's got a router, so he doesn't need another PC to perform his routing. And a switch won't add anything to his network, since he needs the router to perform NAT.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I would think the switch would add more issues. All the switch I use at work does for me is allow me to connect a laptop or some other device to do the crap I need to do to it. Since its at work, I could give two craps about the bandwidth.

I have also found that spiking issues can occur simply because the ISP could be having issues.

drakan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia, USA
I doubt someone is stealing his internet. And, I think that the problem lies within the router. Instead of buying a new router, he could just use an old junker PC, and install Linux, use ICS, and have a router that he has more control over.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
...and also one that is infinitely more complex for the average user, more prone to several types of failure, consumes more power, uses more desk space, is more difficult to replace when it fails, and adds a piece of hardware since he still needs a wireless router.

Sounds like a great plan.