Quantcast

Pasta and Pizza Sauce

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Had time last night while making my yogurt to get some pasta and pizza sauce made. Turned out pretty damn well and ended up with ~5 mason jars of pasta and three pizza's worth of sauce.

Recipes:

Pasta Sauce: Makes 5 Mason Jars ~10 Cups/20 servings
2# Lean Ground Beef
3 Fresh Peppers - Red, Green, and Yellow - Diced
1 Onion - Diced
1 Basket Mushrooms - sliced
1/2 cup Worstershire Sauce
2/3 of Giant Can Diced Tomatoes (the costco sized one)
4 Small cans tomatoe paste
Salt - To taste
Ground Pepper - To taste
Dried Basil - to taste

We keep two jars in the fridge, as these heat seal. They tend to last ~1m due to the meat content. We freeze two Glad Plastic containers for later usage. Also have dinner and leftovers the following day or two. Total cost is ~$1 per serving including meat vs. store bought for ~$1.25 without meat.

Pizza Sauce:
4 Small Cans Tomato Paste
1/3 Giant Can of Diced Tomatoes (from same costco can)
1/8 cup Worstershire sauce (or to flavor)
Salt - To taste
Ground Pepper - To taste
Dried Basil - to taste

You want it to be pretty thick, as watery sauce bleeds through the dough. Once thoroughly cooked and taste is right, throw it into the blender to get rid of the chunks for easier spreading on the pizza dough.

Once blended, you can fill two ziplock bags with slightly over a laddel each and freeze flat to reduce storage space. We also have another serving worth that we were able to fill into a 1 cup mason jar for usage later this week. We'll be making pizza dough as well to have pizza later this week.

All in, I'd estimate our cost on this was $25-30. This should be sufficient for 15 meals (as a couple) excluding cost of pasta and pizza topings.

Once we get through our dry pasta we'll start making our own from our gigantic bag of flour. Which I would assume brings down cost and adds control to our ingredients.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks. That was the plan, as we use the above pasta sauce for our lasagne too.