Quantcast

Pasta with Morels, Corn, Asparagus, and Peas

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Spotted some wild morels at the market and they inspired the following tasty, summery pasta:

1/2 pound wild morels, rinsed
2 ears fresh yellow corn, kernals cut from the cob
bunch asparagus, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
1/2 pound fresh english peas, shelled
1/2 onion, diced
three cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups veg or chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine
fresh basil
good parm
olive oil and a little butter
3/4 pound farfalle (bow tie) pasta

Cook the pasta in lots of heavily salted water.

In a chef's pan or other pan big enough to hold the finished pasta, cook the onions in olive oil over medium heat until soft. Add a pat of butter and the mushrooms, a little salt, and increase the heat. After a couple minutes, deglaze with the wine, cook down, then add the stock and bring to a simmer, not a full boil. Add the asparagus and simmer for another minute or so, then add the corn and garlic. Turn off the heat, add the pasta and season with S&P, toss well. Add the peas, check the seasoning, and toss again with a little parm and a little basil. The pasta will absorb some of the stock; the sauce should be on the lighter side but thick enough to hold things together and full of good mushroom flavor. Finish with a last splash of olive oil and serve with more parm and basil.

I really like the combination above but you can mix and match with just about any veg. Works with full bodied whites and lighter reds, depending on what you like and your ingredients. We drank a Willamette pinot noir that was a great match. Yum!!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Were the morels fresh?
I can only find dry ones here.

That recipe looks good too. We will have to try it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
Holy crap! How much did that 1/2 lb of morels cost you? :eek:

I'd give it a shot with a nice Barbera, but I'm not sure I can afford the mushrooms. :D
They were fresh wild morels for $25/pound. They don't come around very often and are usually more expensive, so I went nuts. You can use other mushrooms but if they don't have that earthy, woodsy flavor, you might want to add some chopped reconstituted dried porcini.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
They were fresh wild morels for $25/pound. They don't come around very often and are usually more expensive, so I went nuts. You can use other mushrooms but if they don't have that earthy, woodsy flavor, you might want to add some chopped reconstituted dried porcini.
Yeah.... I can do rehydrated porcini.

Actually maybe I'll just send my mom out in her woods to find me some morels........ :D