Quantcast

Pat Robertson calls for SpecOps to assassinate Venezuelan President

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Televangelist Calls for Chavez' Death
Yahoo News | Tue Aug 23, 6:20 AM ET

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested on-air that American operatives assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to stop his country from becoming "a launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism."

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," Robertson said Monday on the Christian Broadcast Network's "The 700 Club."

"We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he continued. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

Chavez has emerged as one of the most outspoken critics of President Bush, accusing the United States of conspiring to topple his government and possibly backing plots to assassinate him. U.S. officials have called the accusations ridiculous.

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson said. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

Robertson, 75, founder of the Christian Coalition of America and a former presidential candidate, accused the United States of failing to act when Chavez was briefly overthrown in 2002.

Electronic pages and a message to a Robertson spokeswoman were not immediately returned Monday evening.

Venezuela is the fifth largest oil exporter and a major supplier of oil to the United States. The CIA estimates that U.S. markets absorb almost 59 percent of Venezuela's total exports.

Venezuela's government has demanded in the past that the United States crack down on Cuban and Venezuelan "terrorists" in Florida who they say are conspiring against Chavez.

Robertson has made controversial statements in the past. In October 2003, he suggested that the State Department be blown up with a nuclear device. He has also said that feminism encourages women to "kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
Hey, if the kook-leftist fringe can openly call for the assassination of the US President...
The problem is someone claiming to be a follower of Jesus and a religious leader advocating such an action...........it gives the impression he is speaking on God's behalf or with His approval..........

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
The problem is someone claiming to be a follower of Jesus and a religious leader advocating such an action...........it gives the impression he is speaking on God's behalf or with His approval..........

Who can prove he's not?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
We're talking about a "Christian" religious leader who said:

"maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up," referring to the nickname for the department's headquarters in Washington.

This Pat Robertson is one of the people giving Christians everywhere a black eye. He's one of the people who abuse their position as a religious leader to gather political power and wealth, at the expense of the religion he professes to be a leader in.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Let me think... what does this remind me of? A Religous figure/leader talking about killing off the leader of a country that he disagrees with.... hmmm.

I said it before, and I'll say it again - Religous right = American Taliban.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Slugman said:
Let me think... what does this remind me of? A Religous figure/leader talking about killing off the leader of a country that he disagrees with.... hmmm.

I said it before, and I'll say it again - Religous right = American Taliban.
How dare you oppose my freedoms by your post? The left has killed my friends and family, don't you dare try to do the same.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
reflux said:
Apparently it's the new black...all the kids are doing it nowadays.
Pfiser is coming out with a Jihad Dysfunction fill. It allows those without a blatent sense of moral superiority and lacking complete disregard for those moral values to overcome their shortfalls. It will be called Ironicaltra.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Slugman said:
Oh oh oh! I know! I know!!!

The answer is: Too many religious leaders throughout history to count!!!

Now if I could get a few indulgences for killing the infidels then yeah, I am there. Crusades '05!!!! Where's my sword?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Pats stance on the issue:

lies lies BS lies nonsense lies paranoia lies oil lies more lies more BS.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Pat Robertson is the kind of guy that legitimizes our nation as a target. The real threat to our homes and family are guys like this, not "dictators" halfway around the world.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
BeerDemon said:
Pat Robertson is the kind of guy that legitimizes our nation as a target. The real threat to our homes and family are guys like this, not "dictators" halfway around the world.
What about the guy who said we should have a contingency plan to nuke Mecca? Was it that or something else?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
Who can say if god told him to or not.
Uuuuuhhhhhhhh, since what Mr. Robertson said is very easily shown to be contrary to the Scriptures, God does not tell people to do things contrary to His Word.

It pretty much flies in the face of that whole "love your enemy" thing Jesus taught.

What is really going to chap my booty is if Christian leaders don't start speaking up against this. I mean we get our britches in a wad because the Muslim religious leaders don't speak out more against terrorism, let's not be hypocrites and not speak out against the untruths spoken "in the Name of" God.

:mumble:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
reflux said:
I believe there'll be a trade-in offered for Michael and OJ Are Innocent t-shirts.
Unrelated to the discussion but this post made me think of it...

I was driving home yesterday and saw a white ford bronco cruising down the freeway. Upon closer inspection I saw that the license plate read "Not OJ".

I thought it was funny.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Ciaran said:
Unrelated to the discussion but this post made me think of it...

I was driving home yesterday and saw a white ford bronco cruising down the freeway. Upon closer inspection I saw that the license plate read "Not OJ".

I thought it was funny.
Haha...that made me laugh out loud! I haven't seen that guy driving around Southern California, but I would love to see that.

Oh yeah, Pat Robertson is totally out of his mind. I'm sure he will do everything he can to back pedal on this one...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
Uuuuuhhhhhhhh, since what Mr. Robertson said is very easily shown to be contrary to the Scriptures, God does not tell people to do things contrary to His Word.

It pretty much flies in the face of that whole "love your enemy" thing Jesus taught.

What is really going to chap my booty is if Christian leaders don't start speaking up against this. I mean we get our britches in a wad because the Muslim religious leaders don't speak out more against terrorism, let's not be hypocrites and not speak out against the untruths spoken "in the Name of" God.

:mumble:

I've been told by numerous southern baptists that, "there is no way we can ever know the mind of god." So who's to say really?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
I've been told by numerous southern baptists that, "there is no way we can ever know the mind of god." So who's to say really?
That's an awfully slipperly slope for a Christian to say Scripturally that is. If that's the case then how do we know Jesus was for real??

That said with reference to what your SB folks have told you, there are things we can know about God through the Bible and how He has "operated" throughout history, but that is not an exhaustive definition of Him, which I don't think a human can do. The Bible is clear about God's nature, so anything that someone says is contrary to that on behalf of God would be lying.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166642,00.html
Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson (search) on Wednesday said that his comments regarding Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez (search) were "misinterpreted."

"I didn't say 'assassination,'" clarified Robertson during a broadcast of his "The 700 Club" Wednesday morning. "I said our special forces should go 'take him out,' and 'take him out' could be a number of things, including kidnapping."
Ah that's it. We want to take him out for ice cream. That always makes the unhappy happy. Shoot we could take him out and give him is own Ben & Jerry's Scoop shop.

WELL Pat you actually did say assassination:
However, during the original "700 Club" broadcast Monday night, Robertson clearly mentioned assassination.

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we are trying to assassinate him, we should go ahead and do it," Robertson said Monday. "It's a whole lot easier than starting a war, and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Here's an article that was just emailed to me...

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson apologized Wednesday for calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, only hours after he denied saying Chavez should be killed.

"Is it right to call for assassination?" Robertson said. "No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."

Chavez, whose country is the world's fifth-largest oil exporter, has emerged as one of the most outspoken critics of President Bush. He accuses the United States of conspiring to topple his government and possibly backing plots to assassinate him. U.S. officials have called the accusations ridiculous.

On Monday's telecast of his Christian Broadcasting Network show "The 700 Club," Robertson had said: "You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war, and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

He continued: "We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

On Wednesday, he initially denied having called for Chavez to be killed and said The Associated Press had misinterpreted his remarks.

"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out,'" Robertson said on his show. "'Take him out' could be a number of things including kidnapping."

He later issued the apology on his Web site.

When the AP had called Robertson on Tuesday for elaboration, spokeswoman Angell Watts said Robertson would not do interviews and had no statement about his remarks. He also declined several interview requests Wednesday.,

On Tuesday, the State Department called Robertson's remarks "inappropriate."

___