Quantcast

Patching a tire with Home made patches .

splat

Nam I am
I was talking to some one on the trail about how I needed to patch a bunch tubes, said something about how few patches come in a patch kit , and i commented I made my own patches, he looked at me like I was from mars.

Does any one else make there own patches ?

Does any one else bother patching there tubes ?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Buying patches in bulk saves quite a bit of money and a box of 100 lasts me a long time.
I find tapered patches work better than homemade ones especially if you get caught out and have to ride with a flat tyre.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I carry a spare tube in my pack, and when all my spare tubes have holes in them, I have a patching party. I got a big can of rubber cement and a box of 100 patches from Bikeman. I think the cement will dry up before I use it all.

Flanderflop

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
Louisville
Most bike shops will have the pre-glued patches. Park makes some, I have always been a little suspect of them, but have never had one fail so I don't know if my suspicions are grounded or not.

I have tried making my own patches, but with patches being as inexpensive as they are I don't mess with it anymore. Also I have switched to Stans for off road, so I don't really have flats anymore.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Most bike shops will have the pre-glued patches. Park makes some, I have always been a little suspect of them, but have never had one fail so I don't know if my suspicions are grounded or not.
Your suspicions are somewhat grounded. As far as I'm concerned, pre-glued patches suck in comparison to traditional patches.

I bought a case of Park tool patches, hoping to split it with a teammate, it didn't work out, so I have a butload of patch kits. Rema patches are by far my favorite, but just about any will get the job done. I've made my own out of tube pieces, too. I usually carry a piece of tube just in case I run out of patches on the trail. It works in a pinch, but the store-bought patches are nicer, if for no other reason than their smooth edges don't snag and peel back (but really, they adhere better as well).

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
I juss packs a buncha weeds in da tire real tight an' dont gets no more flats.
After a hellish flat fest of shredded tubes we tried that once out of desperation. ...it is FLABBERGASTING at how much stuff you have to cram into a tire casing to make it round enough to roll and stay off the rim.
There's a 50 foot stretch of singletrack out in Malibu that's still probably the cleanest, most weed, stick, and garbage free trail in all of California:biggrin:

Back on topic, bulk patches and a can of cement are the way to go cost wise. The "new" park glueless patches work OK if you first semi-inflate the tube before you apply so it doesn't stretch too much during the final install.

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I just bought the first tube in years. like, I don't even know the last time I bought a tube. I live for patches. the valve stem fell off so I had to buy a new one..:(

but, I just cut about ten squares out of the old tube for patches. Awsome!