Quantcast

Patent question

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Question for all you patent savy folks.

Now this might sound dumb, so bear with me. I know nothing about patents.

Say somebody makes a product, already in existance, like a ziptie, which I'm sure is patented.

Now can I patent the ziptie, used in a specific application, like around a specifc other product?

I'm trying to simplify this, to easily explain it.

I already know the answer is probably no, I'm just wondering if there is a way around this.

Kevin

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i doubt you can patent unthought applications of a particular product...would be far too stifling from an inventor/entrepreneurial perspective...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Knuckleslammer said:
Well, as I said, I'm not talking specifically about zip ties. Say you have two ingredients, like

H2O2 and Fe and would like to combine the two and patent that combination.

Kevin
i would say that's different...it's a different compound. much different than a new application of an existing product.

then again i am not a lawyer, much less involved in patents.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
A round-about answer is that products can be created and marketed using existing patents, but a license fee must be awarded to the patent holder of said item.

Say for example, the carburetor is patented. Every time a car is made and sold, a fee will go to the owner/holder of the patent. At the same time, one cannot patent "a car".

... a buddy of mine wanted to patent a retractable jet-ski tether using an already patented retractable dog leash... :p

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
No. Example: velcro is patented. Many years ago a high school teacher of mine came up with an idea while surfing. He took some rubber tubing, attached one end to his board, put some velcro on the other end, and made a never-before-seen leash. He used velcro, thus no patent was issued for his leash.