Quantcast

Patrick Morewood leaves Morewood Bikes

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
that sucks, as a Morewood owner and dealer I hope they didnt get too big too fast. They certainly have started moving in a different direction lately.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I can't really comment on Patrick's behalf, but it has been a real pleasure working with him and Richard, and also their engineer Fabien over the past couple years. Both Pat and Richard are great guys, it just seems that Pat was ready for a change. I can relate to that feeling for sure, I've been there and that's basically the reason I started working in bikes. I wished Pat the best of luck this AM and I know that everyone left on good terms. What can you do, it is just life.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Unrelated content: Met a man who's name is literally Richard Shafter...and goes by the nickname "Dick". And he works for Monday Night Football.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
I worked with a guy whose name was Richard Swingen - no joke. Any he went by Dick. Yep, Dick Swingen. And sometimes it would be written as Swingen, Dick.

He would introduce himself as "Dick Swingen and yes it is"

He used to make his own Swingen' Dick's ______ T-Shirts for different events.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I wish Patrick the best!!!! It really sucks for what has happen, but understand when you don't have 50% control of your own company anymore and someone else changes what you stand behind, maybe it's time for a change. I hope Pat gets taken care of for his part. I know he will be working on new things and new designs again!!!!!!:thumb: Also hope he sticks to his love for real SP bikes.

Good luck Bro!!!!

Cecil

eastcoastDH

Chimp
Apr 8, 2011
noVA
My Makulu is the finest DH bike I've ever put a leg over but I most likely won't buy another Morewood either.
+1. I love my Makulu more than anything else. Its sad that hes leaving and yeah, my next bike probably wont be a morewood. Maybe a DHR or an M9 :thumb:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
that sucks, as a Morewood owner and dealer I hope they didnt get too big too fast. They certainly have started moving in a different direction lately.
Yeah I sensed that too. No more dirt jumps bike, no more Ndiza. Looked like they went away from the core mentality that served them so good in the past. My Ndiza was probably the best bike I ever owned.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
can't wait to see what patrick pops out next, hopefully he gets back to the roots that downhill built. either way, i still like what morewood is putting out.

my ndiza is the funnest bike i have ever owned. perfect pump track/XC/mini DH bike all rolled into one.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Yeah I sensed that too. No more dirt jumps bike, no more Ndiza. Looked like they went away from the core mentality that served them so good in the past. My Ndiza was probably the best bike I ever owned.
also due to the new split pivot bikes comming out there other classics like the shova and the mbuzi have been discontinued. Theres no sign of the split pivot bikes either. Leaving them with a big gap in there range. Theres a push from the German distributor to offer complete bikes with dodgy spec and a bit of an attempt to bring them away from the small hand built niece brand a la Intense and Turner and make them a bit more mass market. This means there moving away from being handbuilt in SA and the newer models are being made in Taiwan. Who ever is calling the shots in Morewood now seems to be bringing them in more of a Santa Cruz direction which is obviously not to Pats liking. Nor mine to be honest and I reckon most of the loyal Morewood customers like the hand built factor and the simplicity and less is more element of there design.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Paging Morewood bikes. Make those available please. Thanks.

signed
AnExNdizaOwnerGoingThroughWithdrawl

pics via Vital

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
also due to the new split pivot bikes comming out there other classics like the shova and the mbuzi have been discontinued. Theres no sign of the split pivot bikes either. Leaving them with a big gap in there range. Theres a push from the German distributor to offer complete bikes with dodgy spec and a bit of an attempt to bring them away from the small hand built niece brand a la Intense and Turner and make them a bit more mass market. This means there moving away from being handbuilt in SA and the newer models are being made in Taiwan. Who ever is calling the shots in Morewood now seems to be bringing them in more of a Santa Cruz direction which is obviously not to Pats liking. Nor mine to be honest and I reckon most of the loyal Morewood customers like the hand built factor and the simplicity and less is more element of there design.

The guy who has dropped money on the brand has really screwed over Patrick and Richard (Beytagh, not Carter). If someone does that to the owners and creators of a brand, can you imagine the level of service and quality of product he'll produce.:(

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
looks like 29ers are in Patrick's future

Patrick Morewood, the ex-designer/frame builder and co-founder of Morewood Bikes has confirmed that he has launched a new bicycle brand – PYGA Industries......

The first PYGA – released in limited numbers – will be a 110mm 29er trail bike. Morewood also confirmed a 29er hardtail....

The bikes are planned for viewing and test-riding mid-January 2012, with production being planned for a May 2012 release. PYGA is aiming to provide bikes (frames and build-kits) as well as framesets, direct online so that riders can get the best value and quality possible.
» A New Ride For Patrick Morewood - Sick Lines – mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
You mean the band coldplay that makes 100's of times more in a single concert series than most bike companies do in a lifetime? That gay ass band?

I wish you'd get smarter, or at least try and think a bit before you post something.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
You mean the band coldplay that makes 100's of times more in a single concert series than most bike companies do in a lifetime? That gay ass band?

I wish you'd get smarter, or at least try and think a bit before you post something.
I wish YOU were smart enough to realise sales isn't everything.the car that sells the most isn't going to be the best quality,music is the same.Wat sells the most isn't gona be the best,

gay ass nickleback,how the **** do they sell milions of albums of that **** ass music,theres allot of people who have no taste.im also terribly embaressed that nickleback is from canada,thank god not from the holyland.

1:52 ish on

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
God posting against you is like arguing with a foot.

Just because it doesn't' appeal to YOU doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do. I don't like Baseball, but millions of others do. Same as millions of others think riding kids bikes down a hill is lame.

Think more, post less, and stop giving people more reasons to hate quebec.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
God posting against you is like arguing with a foot.

Just because it doesn't' appeal to YOU doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do. I don't like Baseball, but millions of others do. Same as millions of others think riding kids bikes down a hill is lame.

Think more, post less, and stop giving people more reasons to hate quebec.
im not going to judge you because you like coldplay.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I don't. Can't name a single song. But clearly, other people do.

I am going to judge you though, simply because of the utter stupidity you post on this site.

Back to Morewood, it'd be interesting to find out the full story about what happened. Either way. I hope Patrick kicks ass with his new brand. Always seemed like a cool guy.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I think I may have to go cry and cut myself upstairs because I am hurt of wat you think of me.