Quantcast

Patriots: Cheating Since 2000

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
POSTED www.profootballtalk.com 3:24 p.m. EST, February 15, 2008

FORMER RAMS PLAYER SUES PATS

Not long after the Patriots were caught videotaping defensive coaching signals, a class action was filed on behalf of Jets season-ticket holders. (The current status of that action is unknown.)

Now, another class action has been filed against the Patriots based on published reports of cheating in connection with Super Bowl XXXVI. And one of the plaintiffs played for the Rams, whose final walk-through practice allegedly was taped secretly by the Patriots.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, former Rams player Willie Gary has joined with a Cincinnati ticket broker who attended the game to file suit against the Patriots in a New Orleans federal court. Super Bowl XXXVI was played at the Louisiana Superdome in February 2002.

The action seeks a full refund for all persons who attended the game. At $400 a pop and 72,922 pops, that's $29,168,800.

Also, the suit demands payment to all Rams players of the $25,000 difference between the winners' share and the losers' share, and of the value of a Super Bowl ring.

The lawsuit alleges that the Patriots engaged in fraud, racketeering, breach of contract, and violation of Louisiana’s unfair trade practices and consumer protection act.

At a minimum, the filing of this action means that, one way or another, former Patriots employee Matt Walsh's story will come out. He will be subject to subpoena via the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii, and the subpoena will overcome the terms of any confidentiality agreement.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
My Theory

Every one in the league has been doing this for ever.

Belicheck positioned the cameraman INTENTIONALLY to be caught. so it would be out in the open and from this point on people whould be watching the Games like hawks looking for Both sides taping. ( Belicheck didn't want his signals being taped ).

League is Pissed off at Belicheck for letting there dirty little secret out. so they Punish him saying its for the taping, but in reality it is for breaking Unwritten rules, and tell him he must keep his trap shut about it.

NFL destroys all the tapes so there is no evidence showing that all the teams have been doing this forever! and Just hopes this will fade away into a bad memory.

some Bozo congressman decided to butt his nose into it again and now the can of worms has been opened.
You add G. Gordon Liddy, or a second shooter on the grassy knoll, to your theory and I might get on board with you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My Theory

Belicheck positioned the cameraman INTENTIONALLY to be caught. so it would be out in the open and from this point on people whould be watching the Games like hawks looking for Both sides taping. ( Belicheck didn't want his signals being taped ).

League is Pissed off at Belicheck for letting there dirty little secret out. so they Punish him saying its for the taping, but in reality it is for breaking Unwritten rules, and tell him he must keep his trap shut about it.

NFL destroys all the tapes so there is no evidence showing that all the teams have been doing this forever! and Just hopes this will fade away into a bad memory.

some Bozo congressman decided to butt his nose into it again and now the can of worms has been opened.
Yeah that's the ticket.

He also fielded a strong senior citizen defense to out the use of HGH in the NFL. Next he will run for congress and show the hypocrisy in the Republican party by molesting some children.

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
I like how everyone feels that it's not that bad since "Everyone else was doing it". Please tell me none of you have kids. If so, try to raise them with a much higher respect for morals than you have yourselves. I suppose now we're gonna say it's ok to be a roadie since there's so many of them already. Jeez....

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
And your point is ? You Think Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone ?? No way an Italian Carcano rifle can be accuratly fired that fast . and then the Single bullet theory , what a crock.
Maybe I chose a bad example and should have used Area 51 or something.

My point is I'm not buying into your NFL Conspiracy Hypothesis.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I like how everyone feels that it's not that bad since "Everyone else was doing it". Please tell me none of you have kids. If so, try to raise them with a much higher respect for morals than you have yourselves. I suppose now we're gonna say it's ok to be a roadie since there's so many of them already. Jeez....
i plan to also raise my children so that they do not become douchebags who think that roadies are the scum of cycling...

hokie77

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Virginia
Haha...Knew I'd get somebody riled up..All in good fun, I don't really have anything against roadies, plenty of friends who love it.

I was serious about teaching kids not accept things just because everyone else goes along with it though.
:monkeydance:

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
My Theory

I couldn't agree more. When all this first came out plenty of other coaches admitted to doing it or acknowledged that it was going on. Just like baseball knew guys were juicing.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I couldn't agree more. When all this first came out plenty of other coaches admitted to doing it or acknowledged that it was going on. Just like baseball knew guys were juicing.
Oh really? Which coaches (more than 1) specifically admitted to this?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Maybe it's just me, but it seems a lot of folks that find this football cheating thing OK are not OK with doping in cycling. It's the same thing.

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Links? Which walktrough practices before which games did they tape? BTW, the "stealing signals" part of spygate came and went.

A quote from Peter King,
Peter said it is "hard to blame Mangini" for what happened, but Many NFL coaches view Mangini as "a skunk" "a rat fink" and "disloyal". One NFL coach Peter talked to went into a profanity laced diatribe critizing Mangini. Peter said that "there is a good chance that the Jets had a camera trained on Patriot coaches last Sunday". One coach, Ravens Defensive Coordinator Ryan went on the record with King and said when Mangini comes to town they know he is going to be stealing signals and taping so they use different signals, different color bands, and different people to give the signals. Peter said many coaches believe Mangini is self righteous, a hypocrite, and is likley doing the same thing as the Pats right now, just not as brazenly as the Pats coach. Ryan went on to say that the Ravens give a lot of phony signals "because too many teams are stealing signs". Peter said that while working for Coach B, Mangini "likely knew everything" that was going on.

The other one I recall,but can't find a direct quote was Jimmy Johson who admitted to it and said everyone was.
Now I never said it was right and no I don't agree with it. I actually am disappointed by it as a Patriots fan. But the hipocracy of everyone who is villifying Bellicheck for it when hes just the only one to get caught is sad. Also to say that Bellicheck can't win without cheating is just a crock. This happened in the first game of the season and the Pats were under a microscope from that moment on and they went undefeated all the way to the superbowl. Lets see your team do that next season??:plthumbsdown:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My Theory

Every knows that coaches and scouts read lips, so all coaches talk with their playsheets covering their mouths.

So if everyone cheats by taping practices, why would you ever have an outdoor practice?

I never understood "stealing signs", especially in baseball. If your signals are predictable by gametime observation, whose fault is that? But taping practices is going over the boundaries of the rules. That's cheating.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Every knows that coaches and scouts read lips, so all the coaches talk with their playsheets covering their mouths.

So if everyone cheats by taping practices, why would you ever have an outdoor practice?

I never understood "stealing signs", especially in baseball. If your signals are predictable by gametime observation, whose fault is that? But taping practices is going over the boundaries of the rules. That's cheating.
err, yeah...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
A quote from Peter King,
Peter said it is "hard to blame Mangini" for what happened, but Many NFL coaches view Mangini as "a skunk" "a rat fink" and "disloyal". One NFL coach Peter talked to went into a profanity laced diatribe critizing Mangini. Peter said that "there is a good chance that the Jets had a camera trained on Patriot coaches last Sunday". One coach, Ravens Defensive Coordinator Ryan went on the record with King and said when Mangini comes to town they know he is going to be stealing signals and taping so they use different signals, different color bands, and different people to give the signals. Peter said many coaches believe Mangini is self righteous, a hypocrite, and is likley doing the same thing as the Pats right now, just not as brazenly as the Pats coach. Ryan went on to say that the Ravens give a lot of phony signals "because too many teams are stealing signs". Peter said that while working for Coach B, Mangini "likely knew everything" that was going on.

The other one I recall,but can't find a direct quote was Jimmy Johson who admitted to it and said everyone was.
Now I never said it was right and no I don't agree with it. I actually am disappointed by it as a Patriots fan. But the hipocracy of everyone who is villifying Bellicheck for it when hes just the only one to get caught is sad. Also to say that Bellicheck can't win without cheating is just a crock. This happened in the first game of the season and the Pats were under a microscope from that moment on and they went undefeated all the way to the superbowl. Lets see your team do that next season??:plthumbsdown:
Hope you had fun typing all that, because like I said in the post you quoted, the "stealing signals" part of this thing was just the tip of the ice berg, and isn't an issue any longer, although the insistence of Pats' fans to try and justify it is nearly as sickening as the original action itself. Who cares if your cheater team made it to the SB? They got smashed anyway when they couldn't cheat.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
You ever stop to think that the reason congress is worried about this **** is that they are just trying to distract us from what they aren't doing.

Give me a ****ing break. Who cares. It's just football. It makes me lol to see people get their lifes all wrapped up in it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
You ever stop to think that the reason congress is worried about this **** is that they are just trying to distract us from what they aren't doing.

Give me a ****ing break. Who cares. It's just football. It makes me lol to see people get their lifes all wrapped up in it.
Clearly the people posting in this thread are entertained to varying extents by the sport. If you dont like it, or dont care, how about going about your business instead of wasting your, and our time, letting us know how you don't care or that you "LOL" at other people? I mean it would easily be more efficient for both of us. Why do I care if you dont care? Why do post if you dont care? What makes your cares any more valid? How about STFU?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Now that we have clearly established that cheaters always end up as losers. We get to move on.. And see what next year brings us :biggrin:

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver

Would you please post a picture of your tinfoil hat?
:crazy::crazy::crazy:

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Uh...So there is a "war" going on, the economy is recessed and congress is investigating if a football team is cheating?

:clapping:
Then what was going on when the Pete Rose "scandal" broke? If there is any real justification for interest who's cheating, ask the bookies in Vegas who make serious ca$h especially during big games like the Superbowl or World Series. If you can affect the outcome of an event they can lay odds on, you stand to make quite the tidy sum.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/sports/football/22patriots.html?ex=1204261200&en=7b8ddff987863917&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

The Patriots’ pattern of illicitly videotaping the signals of opposing N.F.L. coaches began in Coach Bill Belichick’s first preseason with the team in 2000, a former Patriots player said. The information was put to use in that year’s regular-season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Belichick’s debut as New England’s coach.

BTW, Cheaters often win... it's just that they are not well liked.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Which one is more correct:

1. Pats are cheaters, period.

2. Everyone did it, Pats were much better at it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It seems the taping started with Belicheck. If everyone was doing it seems that the Patriots were not doing it before Belicheck.