Quantcast

Patriots: Cheating Since 2000

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Spygate's not over I guess. I never had a problem with the Pats, but more and more I am starting to despise these cheating a-holes. I thought they were a class organization; now I hope they get their superbowls revoked.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-goodell-specter&prov=ap&type=lgns

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh I almost forgot the best part, in case you hadn't heard this already.

Walsh told The Associated Press last week during the Pro Bowl in Hawaii that he couldn't talk about allegations that he taped a walkthrough practice by the St. Louis Rams before the 2002 Super Bowl. New England, a two-touchdown underdog, won that game 20-17.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
1. This is no different than steroids since many NFL teams were doing it with the league turning a knowing blind eye. Big deal.

2. I really wish Congress would fock off on these matters.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Opie, if someone videotapes the walkthrough practice before the big game, they know exactly which plays you are going to run based on your formations. It's cheating as cheating can get. It's more an advantage than paying a freaking ref.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Opie, if someone videotapes the walkthrough practice before the big game, they know exactly which plays you are going to run based on your formations. It's cheating as cheating can get. It's more an advantage than paying a freaking ref.
It absolutely is cheating. No doubt about it.

So is steroids.

But why punish the Pats, Barry Bonds, Floyd Landis when it was so widespread with the tacit approval of the league?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
It absolutely is cheating. No doubt about it.

So is steroids.

But why punish the Pats, Barry Bonds, Floyd Landis when it was so widespread with the tacit approval of the league?
Now that there is a rule against steroids, you get punished for using steroids if you get caught. Ask floyd landis. Barry never got caught.

There has been a long standing rule against cheating, why should the rule not be enforced when they were caught, and now even more evidence is coming out about the depths to which they went to cheat?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think Opie's point is that there are mountains of better ways Congress could be spending their time.
Yes, thanks, I gathered that when he said
I really wish Congress would fock off on these matters.
Personally, I dont care too much about congress' intrusion, I only care about the integrity of the league. If Goodell was just going to ignore all this, then Im glad congress is involved. If he was going to take action on his own, congress can stay out of it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They should treat the matter like the destroyed CIA tapes. Wash your hands and walk away.

Yes they cheated, it's still just football.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Like I brought up in the Clemens thread. These teams play in mostly publicly funded stadiums. The government has an interest and a responsibility to make sure the businesses that operate in these stadiums do so in an ethical manner. If cheating enables a team to win it returns large amounts of money back into the community that invested into the stadium. How much money did the Boston area get from all the extra playoff games they have played at home since 2000?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Like I brought up in the Clemens thread. These teams play in mostly publicly funded stadiums. The government has an interest and a responsibility to make sure the businesses that operate in these stadiums do so in an ethical manner. If cheating enables a team to win it returns large amounts of money back into the community that invested into the stadium. How much money did the Boston area get from all the extra playoff games they have played at home since 2000?
Not only that but, gambling/sports betting is indeed a legal enterprise in this country. There are legitimate businesses, playing a role in the economy who employ thousands, that rely on a fair game to stay in business.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Personally, I dont care too much about congress' intrusion, I only care about the integrity of the league. If Goodell was just going to ignore all this, then Im glad congress is involved. If he was going to take action on his own, congress can stay out of it.
1. Other teams did it too. Barry didn't get caught cuz they didn't test. Video taping was "against the rules", but wasn't enforced... across the board.

2. Really, other teams are dumb for not taking individual and specific stands against taping... now they will. You're taping, you're gone. No intrusion from anyone was necessary as teams will handle it individually.

That Rams SB issue was stupid. They KNEW they were being taped by someone unauthorized and did nothing about it. No team will be passive about taping from now on, hence, no intrusion needed.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
woodsguy- the patriots either taped the ram's two minute offense/or defense and/or their red zone sets the day before the superbowl. If that isn't the most important information in preparing a game plan then I know nothing. Didn't that game end up coming down to the last play, too?

The patriots are cheaters. I wouldn't be surprised if they find out a lot of their players are on teh juice. Seriously, if Junior Seau is still playing and didn't even miss a practice this year he is on teh juice

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I remember seeing coached cover their mouths and hide signals LONG before 2000 and against teams other than the Patriots.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Yes a walk through is not the first few plays. Like said before it's goal line, 2 min etc.. They cheat thats all there is to it
SB wins should be taken away and awarded to the other team.

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
On the losing end of a wishbone
Yes a walk through is not the first few plays. Like said before it's goal line, 2 min etc.. They cheat thats all there is to it
SB wins should be taken away and awarded to the other team.
I'm sure the other teams would feel much better if that happened. Hell, let's make it like little league, no more keeping score, everyone is a winner and everyone get's a trophy. Boy would that make thing's fun.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
and why do you think ALL Teams Hire Scouts ???
Scouts watch tendencies of other teams.

Cheaters are watching exact plays, hearing the calls, and seeing which players are doing what moves.

Or, how the Giants beat the mighty Pats when cheating wasn't going to happen.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Like this is shocking news.
Belicheck would take a cheese grater to his mother's nipples if he thought it would give him an advantage in a football game.
He leaves no rock unturned when it comes to preparing his team to win football games. If it takes a little cheating and being a souless douche, well that is all part of the preparation.
Its all about winning right?:twitch:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Here is my guess at what happens.

-Belicheck cheats, maybe everyone else does I don't know.
-Mangini stops working for Belicheck to become head coach of the Jets. Intead of being happy for him Belicheck is a complete douche.
-Mangini says **** it, this guy cheats, we are going to catch him.
-Caught.

Rule for the kiddies. If you are going to cheat, don't be an asshole.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
pro spots....don't get me started.

My favorite pro sports scandal was the Pete Rose scandal in the 80's. I would like to kick it with Charlie Hustle. Get drunk. Play some dice. Bet on arrivals at the airport. Get into fights with pretty boy frat boys. Etc..

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Here is my guess at what happens.

-Belicheck cheats, maybe everyone else does I don't know.
-Mangini stops working for Belicheck to become head coach of the Jets. Intead of being happy for him Belicheck is a complete douche.
-Mangini says **** it, this guy cheats, we are going to catch him.
-Caught.

Rule for the kiddies. If you are going to cheat, don't be an asshole.
Actually, it was the other way around...

Beli positioned the cameraman INTENTIONALLY to be caught by Mangina to piss him off, but instead of just being pissed and annoyed, grab his cheese the rat bastard.

splat

Nam I am
Actually, it was the other way around...

Beli positioned the cameraman INTENTIONALLY to be caught by Mangina to piss him off, but instead of just being pissed and annoyed, grab his cheese the rat bastard.
My Theory

Every one in the league has been doing this for ever.

Belicheck positioned the cameraman INTENTIONALLY to be caught. so it would be out in the open and from this point on people whould be watching the Games like hawks looking for Both sides taping. ( Belicheck didn't want his signals being taped ).

League is Pissed off at Belicheck for letting there dirty little secret out. so they Punish him saying its for the taping, but in reality it is for breaking Unwritten rules, and tell him he must keep his trap shut about it.

NFL destroys all the tapes so there is no evidence showing that all the teams have been doing this forever! and Just hopes this will fade away into a bad memory.

some Bozo congressman decided to butt his nose into it again and now the can of worms has been opened.