Quantcast

Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Ax Men

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
They'll make a "reality" show out of anything these days. I'm almost expecting to turn on the TV and see "Tonight...on A&E--Port-A-Potty Cleaner Wars." :D
I'd watch it.
;)

Both Pawn Stars and American Pickers are interesting because of the history of the items people bring in/or find.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'd like Pawn Stars to show some follow up on the items they buy. Like, it'd be cool to know how much they get for the musket they spend $4,000 on.

That was cool when a guy brought in an old gun to get money for a guitar hoping to get a couple hundred bucks, and ends up trading the gun straight up for a $6,000 guitar.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nothing I like more than to sit on my ass and watch other people work. They should put bleachers up in factories and charge admission.

Woops, the US doesn't have factories anymore.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Pawn stars is such BS. My father & grandfather owned a pawn shop for over 75 years. My dad wanted to hand the business down to me, but I hated working there, so he ended up selling it in November of 2002 after working there for 51 years. They seem to be glamorizing a pawn shop, it really isn't anything like that. To me it looks like everyone is trying to sell their goods. The whole idea of a pawn shop it to borrow money and you're using personal belongings as collateral. If you don't pay back the money borrowed with interest, you loose your item and the pawn shop sells it at a discounted rate.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pawn stars is such BS. My father & grandfather owned a pawn shop for over 75 years. My dad wanted to hand the business down to me, but I hated working there, so he ended up selling it in November of 2002 after working there for 51 years. They seem to be glamorizing a pawn shop, it really isn't anything like that. To me it looks like everyone is trying to sell their goods. The whole idea of a pawn shop it to borrow money and you're using personal belongings as collateral. If you don't pay back the money borrowed with interest, you loose your item and the pawn shop sells it at a discounted rate.
What they don't show are all the crackheads trying to sell anything they can get their hands on for a rock.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah but the guys on TV are pawn stars.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Bingo! My dads shop was located in beautiful Oakland California. Home of the crackheads.
some of the people were actually trying to pawn stuff as well.

I don't think any reality show SHOWS all the situations that happen. Watching Crackheads on TV was the basis of the original reality TV show; COPS.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Whats was really sad, people would come in and pawn an item to help pay their bills or put food on their table. What they were pawning they may have received like $100 or so. As they were walking out the door, they would see something they liked and then would use some of their borrowed money to put that item on layaway, like $10. Some took over 3-4 years to pay it off. F'n crazy.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Whats was really sad, people would come in and pawn an item to help pay their bills or put food on their table. What they were pawning they may have received like $100 or so. As they were walking out the door, they would see something they liked and then would use some of their borrowed money to put that item on layaway, like $10. Some took over 3-4 years to pay it off. F'n crazy.
Yeah that would suck to watch.
What would the typical interest be?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
history channel, science channel, national geographic channel, occasionally discovery channel will air something worthwhile.

Those channels used to be interesting. Now it is all shows about fat people, ghosts, cryptozoology and angry people at work.

Dropped my cable and only have network television. That is even worse. About the only thing worth watching anymore is 30 rock and a few PBS shows.

I do still try to catch PTI when I go to the gym.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Those channels used to be interesting. Now it is all shows about fat people, ghosts, cryptozoology and angry people at work.
Not always. There's still some cool stuff - a while back I caught a special on Easter Island about the network of underground tunnels caves. Generally what I do is just browse the guide menu and record the worthwhile stuff, then watch it when I have time.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When the History Channel started doing reality shows, I got rid of our satellite service.:disgust: Having zero TV reception is one of the best things I've ever done. I miss The Daily Show and some PBS stuff, but I can watch TDS online and I'll buy the PBS stuff. TV sucks.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Can we just bring back scripted TV? Maybe something that you can learn from, being it is the Discovery Channel?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Can we just bring back scripted TV? Maybe something that you can learn from, being it is the Discovery Channel?
why? when you can "discover" all sorts of fvcked up people all over the country!

Liz and I do get a kick out of the Hoarders show. There was only lady in like, Alabama whose house almost got condemned by the city it was so gross. When it got cleaned out they found like 4 dead flattened cats :twitch:

also, you can't script science! :p

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:stupid:
"Reality" TV was a huge reason we got rid of TV. I mean, I like a train wreck as much as the next guy but c'mon. Discovery, History Channel, TLC all showing reality shows? Remember when TLC showed stuff you could learn from?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Love Pawn Starts.

I wonder if Rick is that knowledgeable or is he prepped before it is filmed. But he is smooth.

The rest of them are idiots but great characters.

I watched a few minutes of American Pickers, but something about it turned me off.

Axe Men? If you watch Deadliest Catch, that's all you need for working class drama.

BTW,

Phil Harris, captain of the Cornelia Marie crab boat featured on Discovery's Deadliest Catch remains in a hospital in Anchorage, Alaska. He was taken there after suffering a stroke on Friday as he was unloading his boat. On the Cornelia Marie site, a note says that Harris underwent surgery on Saturday.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
They'll make a "reality" show out of anything these days. I'm almost expecting to turn on the TV and see "Tonight...on A&E--Port-A-Potty Cleaner Wars." :D
Hey, +1 > Stosh

I personally like Madhouse the best. The redneck racing rivalry is awesome. Anything besides F'N bachelor, survivor and the rest of that CRAP. About time someone stepped it up.

Ax Men is cool too. I love that cat with no teefs, he rules the mountain as far as I'm concerned, jumpin around like a monkey. I also love how they get these huge weight lifter greenhorns that can't last a 1/2 hour.

Some might have a gripe with educational channels doing this, but how many frign episodes of Elephants and tigers could you watch?

To me it's about any show that doesn't have idiots voting each other off. About time someone did something NEW. That's what the brain likes. NEW. The brain likes to create new neural networks. Watching the same show like Survivor on a different F'N island each year? I mean come on. It's the same F'N island.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
last night American Pickers was cool. that guy with the White Castle in his backyard was awesome. his general store was pretty cool too. the fact that he bought all of the products that the store sold when he was a kid was cool too
id live in a White Castle.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I personally like Madhouse the best. The redneck racing rivalry is awesome.
That racetrack is about 15 mins from my house. My friends dad was a car owner when we were little so he would take us out there to help out the pit crew and watch the races up close and person. Its crazy sh!t that thats a show now. I mean, yeah it was fun to hang out in the pits, but is it really tv worthy?:think:

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
That racetrack is about 15 mins from my house. My friends dad was a car owner when we were little so he would take us out there to help out the pit crew and watch the races up close and person. Its crazy sh!t that thats a show now. I mean, yeah it was fun to hang out in the pits, but is it really tv worthy?:think:
Well I have no exposure to racing. But what's really funny is watching Jr. Miller get knocked into the infield. The rivalry is what makes the show. Plus it's interesting to see what goes into the cars. Those things take a beating an a 1/2.

Well here's what I got recorded on the DVR
Madhouse
Conspiracy Theory
House
Fringe
Gangland
Human Weapon
and anything else WAR

My wifes DVR?
Desperate housewives
Biggest loser
American Idiot
bachelor

Now would you rather watch TV with me or my wife? :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
went to school with all those morons on axe men
I don't really care so much about the people on the show. I love all the equipment and the process. I like the underwater logging too because I think it's fascinating how detailed the wood comes out. It's cool to see how potentially dangerous it can be as well.

+1 for Knuck for liking the guy with no teeth he's probably the only guy I like as well.