Quantcast

Pay parking at Whistler

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yup, the Pr director was telling a few of us about this over the winter. LAME. All day lots are now pay...they are also painting day lot 4 and 5 right now. Awesome. One of the busiest weekends of the summer up there.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Now with the extra $ they can hire lot security to oversee the areas to make sure stuff stays yours! Thats a pretty good use of some of the money.... 4 security guys $9 hr = 360 at 10 hours for the day so 30 cars pays for the security and the rest is for the bottom line of the resort...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Somehow I don't think they'll be providing security. Just some stoned Australians looking for scraps of paper on dashboards.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Is the skiing/boarding season alot more profitable then the summer riding and SGC???

Also did they over extend a bit for the games or didthey get a big head from the publicity and decide to tap a bit more income...
Winter is much more profitable, you can barely ever find a place to park (especially during the games, it was stupid). They over extended for the games, but the parking lots were not run by whistler originally and were handed over about 2 years ago. I think this has been in the plans for awhile...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Winter is much more profitable, you can barely ever find a place to park (especially during the games, it was stupid). They over extended for the games, but the parking lots were not run by whistler originally and were handed over about 2 years ago. I think this has been in the plans for awhile...

Cool then its a bottom line over a period of time and probably waiting a contract on the parking out...

Thats cool... Id pay to play anywase.... You pay for parking at disneyland for the kids so this is for us... Should be alot less painfull :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Cool then its a bottom line over a period of time and probably waiting a contract on the parking out...

Thats cool... Id pay to play anywase.... You pay for parking at disneyland for the kids so this is for us... Should be alot less painfull :D
It's still cheaper than the $40 or so most of the hotels up there charge to valet it! Lots 4 and 5 will be free, but they are down on lorimer near marketplace. Good way to save money if you don't mind the hike, but you may lose your radio! 4/5 are apparently closed today for line painting.

Oct 9, 2006
This is a little disconcerting. Not only do we have to over pay for any food and services(I know, I know it is a resort) Now we have to pay to park a vehicle and not get any benefit of the money spent in possible protection of our goods. Plus, where am I gonna park to sleep at night now when I am to hammered of Merlin's Pitchers and 5 dollar burgers!! Guess we will have to get sneaky now.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
This is a little disconcerting. Not only do we have to over pay for any food and services(I know, I know it is a resort) Now we have to pay to park a vehicle and not get any benefit of the money spent in possible protection of our goods. Plus, where am I gonna park to sleep at night now when I am to hammered of Merlin's Pitchers and 5 dollar burgers!! Guess we will have to get sneaky now.
Day lot 4 and 5?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
this is one of the more ridiculous things i have heard in a while...

Thank god i wont be parking a vehicle at the resort much this year...

is this 24 hours?

SavageOne

Chimp
Oct 3, 2008
SLC, UT
If anybody knows if it will be $12 for 24 hrs because my buddies and I are driving an RV up for our trip this year. We want to park close enough to the hill and stores.

Oct 9, 2006
Not to be a whiney bitch but Lot 4 and 5 are way far away on the days that you are trying to hammer out as many laps as you can and need to run back to the rig for a little maintenance. Not to mention we are paying out the ass in every other facet of the resort. But I will happily pay out the ass for some Dup's Burritos!! Out of curiosity how are they planning on enforcing the parking rules? A little fake ticket that they can't really enforce as they aren't a municipality. A "stoned aussie" yelling funny sounding insults at you pedal past?

I guess I will just have to stop bitching and make the hoof from lot 4/5.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Not to be a whiney bitch but Lot 4 and 5 are way far away on the days that you are trying to hammer out as many laps as you can and need to run back to the rig for a little maintenance. Not to mention we are paying out the ass in every other facet of the resort. But I will happily pay out the ass for some Dup's Burritos!! Out of curiosity how are they planning on enforcing the parking rules? A little fake ticket that they can't really enforce as they aren't a municipality. A "stoned aussie" yelling funny sounding insults at you pedal past?

I guess I will just have to stop bitching and make the hoof from lot 4/5.
this IS NOT a Whistler/BLackcomb thing, this is the resort municipality, ie the town. It will be enforced by bylaw with a licence plate recognition system. and seriously, lot 4 is too far away? man up sissy.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Isn't the natural response to park where it's free, and pedal your bike to the lift?

I mean, you're there to ride your bike.

Are people really that afraid of pedaling?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Hey, they had to pay for all that nice grading and paving somehow, eh?

Not sure what the big deal is about the distance of 4 & 5. Many of the places I've stayed (Glacier's Reach, Cascade Lodge, Marriot - - well, Coast now) are all a further pedal. So what?

BTW, anybody heard any more on the Intrawest/Fortress auction? It got staved off past the Feb. 18 deadline but haven't seen a peep on anywhere since

Oct 9, 2006
Dang it, now everybody thinks I hate to pedal. I guess I just fall under the blanket of people who hate getting nickeled and dimed because somewhere thought it would be cool to have the Olympics come and now they have to pay off a crap ton of debt. Not my fault you invited the stupid IOC over for dinner.

Hissy fit over, I will ride from 4/5 without moaning and be happy they let vagabonds park there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
People complaining about paying for parking who have multi-thousand dollar dh playbikes cracks me up. It's a limited resource. If no one pays then they'll rethink their model. I think that won't be an issue.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
People complaining about paying for parking who have multi-thousand dollar dh playbikes cracks me up. It's a limited resource. If no one pays then they'll rethink their model. I think that won't be an issue.
Someone had to say it :thumb:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I don't think they're complaining about the cost. I wish I could charge my customers to come and visit my business.

Oh, you want to shop here? Well, right after I collect my $15 convenience fee. :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Seems a lot of people are forgetting that whistler attracts more than just people who ride bikes. This is a drop in the bucket compared to all the cash a typical visitor lays out during an average day at Whistler - especially a whole family. I have no doubt people will pay for the privilege of a little less exercise, if for nothing else than to get their whiny kids and/or spouse to shut the hell up.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Despite my comments on distance, I fully agree that having to pay for ski area day-lot parking sucks. Clever how they they were able to turn that around into a revenue stream.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Again please have sympathy with the stoner Aussie - he needs work too. You guys just need to get down on your knees and thank the Gods of mountain biking that you are able to drive to Whistler.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Funny thing... all of you will complain, then go right ahead an pay it.

Oct 9, 2006
Again please have sympathy with the stoner Aussie - he needs work too. You guys just need to get down on your knees and thank the Gods of mountain biking that you are able to drive to Whistler.
However do you mean. That we can afford gas, that we are located on the correct continent and thusly can physically drive there, or that we can sometimes get past border patrol without getting our o-ring stretched out looking for contraband.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
The problem I have as a 5yr season's pass holder who lives 4.5 hrs away and keeps seeing the costs rise while the trails only get marginally better, is that lot 4 and 5 will more than likely be full on busy weekends, so I'll be forced to pay to park. Definitely a motivating factor to ride somewhere else.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
They are adding a 2$ toilet fee (per visit) as well.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Side note: There's a cul de sac at the end of Northlands (past Lorimer) that always has room for 4 or 5 vehicles; plus there's a lot of vacant gravel just beyond where the racquet club or something used to be. But you didn't hear me say that.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I don't think they're complaining about the cost. I wish I could charge my customers to come and visit my business.

Oh, you want to shop here? Well, right after I collect my $15 convenience fee. :thumb:
You don't really think the lift pass is directly related to the costs of operating Whistler's bike park, do you?

I'm pretty sure it covers a whole lot more -- like profits for the corporate side, fat salaries, and most of all on the physical (non-salary) overhead side -- real estate "development".

By your analogy, you should resell merchandise at exactly what it cost you, or not charge any mark-up at all.

And that just doesn't make sense.

People who think Whistler "owes them" something are pretty deluded. They'll charge whatever they want, and scenesters will keep paying it.

Meanwhile, I ride for free, I ride to the trailhead, and I ride stuff as good as Whistler's alpine trails. Don't have to drive anywhere to get it either.

So I'm really bummed for y'all. Seriously. It's breakin' my heart!:rofl:

Oct 9, 2006
Nobody is saying anyone owes them anything. One would assume that if you pay $50+ a day to ride perhaps you could park the fakkin vehicle you drove there in as part of that $50. Like Kenan says, you can ride here after you buy a ticket and oh yeah you have to pay to park your car here. Just cause Disney can charge people to park, does that make it okay? Again not saying that I am too lazy to walk from lot 4/5 but to try and justify the fee by saying stuff like "they gotta pay for the nice grading" Did I ask them to grade it, no. Do I pay to play there already, yes. Should I have to pay even more, no. I understand covering over head and such but at this point they are selling more summer lift tix than they are winter lift tix. Granted they don't cost as much but there is less overhead in the summer time. They only run a fraction of the lifts, they don't have to bomb the crap out of the summer mountain and I imagine there is a little less equipment running to keep up the hill. Just thoughts.