Quantcast

Pay parking at Whistler

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Think their prices are too rich for you? Then stop going. I dare ya.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Meanwhile, I ride for free, I ride to the trailhead, and I ride stuff as good as Whistler's alpine trails. Don't have to drive anywhere to get it either.

So I'm really bummed for y'all. Seriously. It's breakin' my heart!:rofl:

Nobody pays to ride Whistler's trails.
You pay to ride the lift. The HIGH speed quad lift. Something that is very, very rare.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
There seems to be some misconception here...the pay parking is being implemented by the Resort Municipality Of Whistler (the Whistler town council) not Whistler-Blackcomb / Intrawest (the operators of the bike park) so yes, it's a cash grab, but a cash grab by the municipality, not the resort.

To thank them for this I'm going to make sure I take my own lunch with me when I go to ride the park from now on, rather than buying it in the village. Means my costs either way are the same.

I just got back from riding the park and had no problem finding a spot in lot 4. The 'slog' up the hill wasn't even all that bad. It will be interesting to see what the situation is like on Friday ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Thursday will be even busier than Friday me thinks! Got up here about an hour ago, as soon as you were clear of the city the roads were great..unless you were heading to the sunshine coast on the ferry. Good luck, coastal crew guys stuck in the BB van!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Thursday will be even busier than Friday me thinks! Got up here about an hour ago, as soon as you were clear of the city the roads were great..unless you were heading to the sunshine coast on the ferry. Good luck, coastal crew guys stuck in the BB van!
I'm going to sun peaks and silverstar...yeah!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ I'm going opposite direction starting Monday. Have to miss Silver Star but catching up with some Calgary friends for Rio Escondido, Sun Peaks and then Whistler.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
By your analogy, you should resell merchandise at exactly what it cost you, or not charge any mark-up at all.

And that just doesn't make sense.
How did my analogy go so far over your head? I never said that they should sell the lift passes/merchandise for exactly what their cost is.

My point was that I could charge normal prices at my (fictitious) store but charge customers to park and make a killing. But why would I do such a ridiculous thing?

Paying to park is the definition of nickle-and-diming your customers. Again, it's not the cost but the fact that you're already spending money on a lift pass, food, merchandise, bike parts to support their resort/municipality.

By your reasoning, they should also charge every time you enter the bike park as a separate fee from the lift.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Nobody is saying anyone owes them anything. One would assume that if you pay $50+ a day to ride perhaps you could park the fakkin vehicle you drove there in as part of that $50. Like Kenan says, you can ride here after you buy a ticket and oh yeah you have to pay to park your car here.
You are indeed saying you are owed free parking.

Try again, please.

How did my analogy go so far over your head? I never said that they should sell the lift passes/merchandise for exactly what their cost is.
Didn't go over my head at all. I understood you perfectly. You believe you are owed free parking. You believe the lift pass covers free parking. You believe you know how the lift pass is priced.

And you're obviously very mistaken.

My point was that I could charge normal prices at my (fictitious) store but charge customers to park and make a killing. But why would I do such a ridiculous thing?

Paying to park is the definition of nickle-and-diming your customers. Again, it's not the cost but the fact that you're already spending money on a lift pass, food, merchandise, bike parts to support their resort/municipality.
Sadly, the world isn't living in drkenan's Utopia. Whistler will charge what they can, and people will pay it. Why? Because Whistler's a "scene," and people love to be known as scenesters.

By your reasoning, they should also charge every time you enter the bike park as a separate fee from the lift.
I know where my reasoning goes, and it doesn't go where you suggest. But thanks, very kindly, for your inglorious attempt at prediction.

Nobody pays to ride Whistler's trails.
You pay to ride the lift. The HIGH speed quad lift. Something that is very, very rare.
Actually, given that most of the people at Whistler are far too lazy to pedal up and therefore are buying lift passes and expecting free parking -- what this whole thread is about, numbnuts! -- they are indeed paying to ride the trails.

This thread isn't about the people who pedal to Whistler, pedal up the hill, and ride down.

Is it?

No, it's not.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2006
Indeed slow it down, you are right on all fronts of this discussion and your logic is flawless. I am sorry I attempted to express my opinion as it is invalid and porrly thought out. I am glad to know that you have such an overwhelming knowledge of Whistler's financial structure and how they channel their income.

You Win!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Indeed slow it down, you are right on all fronts of this discussion and your logic is flawless. I am sorry I attempted to express my opinion as it is invalid and porrly thought out. I am glad to know that you have such an overwhelming knowledge of Whistler's financial structure and how they channel their income.

You Win!
well really, you don't, because mountain operations have nothing to do with the parking lot in question....as much as slow it down runs his mouth off, which he does....

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
They did this for portions of N* and Squaw a couple years ago. Not all of the parking is for pay, but the majority is now. Its kind of a joke, and kind of makes me not go boarding on weekends. I can find free parking on the week days, so that's when I go.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
A lot of people on here seem to think people are just lazy to pedal...but things is, on busy day both 4 AND 5 will be full and we'll be force to pay for parking.

Personally my biggest concerns on the topic are A ) Why the hell is it more in the summer when for at least 4 years now, summer has caught up with the winter season and is just as , if not even MORE profitable? and B) I thought the parking lots were on crowd land like the park and the resort had no rights to enforce their BS?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
A ) Why the hell is it more in the summer when for at least 4 years now, summer has caught up with the winter season and is just as , if not even MORE profitable?
you've seen reputable stats supporting this? hard to believe given the huge ski volume compared to bikes, and higher winter rates across the board.

still, factor in winter snow removal costs, and the higher summer rate does seem questionable.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
you've seen reputable stats supporting this? hard to believe given the huge ski volume compared to bikes, and higher winter rates across the board.

still, factor in winter snow removal costs, and the higher summer rate does seem questionable.
Heard it before and also read that numerous times in different publications...Skiing may be huge but if you combine, tourism , golf and biking all together , it adds up real quick.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
A lot of people on here seem to think people are just lazy to pedal...but things is, on busy day both 4 AND 5 will be full and we'll be force to pay for parking.

Personally my biggest concerns on the topic are A ) Why the hell is it more in the summer when for at least 4 years now, summer has caught up with the winter season and is just as , if not even MORE profitable? and B) I thought the parking lots were on crowd land like the park and the resort had no rights to enforce their BS?
100% right about busy days. Imagine how many people are going to be forced to pay to park during the 10 days of crankworx alone when those lots are overflowing. It's going to be messy.

Oct 9, 2006
Has anyone paid to park yet, what are they using to verify you paid? A slip of paper, is it color coded for different days or does the attendant(stoned aussie) just write a date on a piece of paper or something? Pics of said piece of paper/parking pass?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Has anyone paid to park yet, what are they using to verify you paid? A slip of paper, is it color coded for different days or does the attendant(stoned aussie) just write a date on a piece of paper or something? Pics of said piece of paper/parking pass?
It's electronic parking slips with pay kiosks, the same as most big cities.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Rode the park on Thursday. Didn't park in 4 or 5 and didn't pay.

The non lazy will never have to pay.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I've already said this once before in this thread but it's not Whistler Blackcomb who are implementing or benefiting financially from the pay-parking. It's the Resort Municipality of Whistler. I have an issue of Pique here with a big 4 page spread on the pay parking from the RMOW stating that they expect the new pay parking lots to increase total pay parking revenue for the municipality to $2 million annually of which $500,000/pa minimum is to be reinvested into public transit improvements. The rest is all profit.

So be mad, but be mad at the right people; in this case the RMOW. Don't stress the winter either, Creekside will still be free parking.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I was just in Whistler and didnt see the pay parking. What lots are they charging and what lots are free?

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Yep, the two furthest lots are free. You can tell by the empty lots near the lifts, obviously people are avoiding the pay parking. Haven't had any trouble getting a spot though, even showing up at mid-day during crankworx.

PS. Park is PRIMO right now after the rain last night and today!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yep, the two furthest lots are free. You can tell by the empty lots near the lifts, obviously people are avoiding the pay parking. Haven't had any trouble getting a spot though, even showing up at mid-day during crankworx.

PS. Park is PRIMO right now after the rain last night and today!
I was there last week and the park was beat.