Quantcast

Pay Phones , Does anybody Still use them ?

Pay Phones

• I Use them all the Time

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The last time I used a Pay Phoe was over 3 years ago

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Pay phone ? Whats That ?

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

splat

Nam I am
On Sunday While doing a Metric Century I stopped at a Convience store to get a gatorade and a Munchie , and While I was eating my Twix , I was looking at the pay phone and was thinking in this day and Age of Cell phones does anybody really use them any More ? and of course as if on Cue so Guy pulls up in his truck , and goes right to the phone. called some one and was bragging about Telling the B**** get the F*** out , and she was now packing up her S***. He seamed quite happy about the whole thing.

But I can't think the last time I used a Pay phone was.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I own a Volkswagen, so I used to use them quite often before I had a cell phone.

Once or twice if I do not have my cell with me.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
There are still areas up here where cell phones no worky. I probably use one once a month or so while in the city here - generally when I've left my cell phone at home or havent charged it. Sucks that they charge 35cents here, though.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I do. Not frequently because I don't generally have the need to call someone from the road, but I do use them.

I don't own a cell phone, and have no plans to in the near future.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
fluff said:
In the UK the chances are that it would be vandalised anyway. Not used one for many years.
One night in London just off Trafalgar Square I was waiting with Partsy for the night bus back to Brixton. They had a ticket machine there and a few people were putting coins in but nothing was happening. After a bit of jiggling they'd resign themselves to losing thieir money and wander off. A few minutes later this seedy guy shuffled over, stuck a knife or something in the coin slot, pulled out a bit of plastic, hit the coin return, picked up a handful of 1 and 2 pound coins, re-inserted his bit of plastic and melted back into the shadows waiting for the next suckers to come along. Didn't use any phones or vending machines after that in London.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
When in urban areas, I use the booths or breezeways of both pay phones and ATMs whenever I need to duck out of the wind to light up a cigar or other smoke. In my younger days of hooliganism, they sometimes made a good place during the winter months to take a 2:00am beer squirt.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Payphones are NASTY and smell like cigarettes usually. Only in an emergency do I use one.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
In Downieville, there is no cell phone coverage (a godsend), so the payphone in town gets a lot of use. There was a photo with Ariel and Abby of Maverick crammed into it in Bike Magazine last year.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I am still suprised when I see them around. Most of them charge outrageous sums for local calls so I can't see how they get much use. Except maybe by the desperate.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I would imagine they're more of a liability for the phone companies these days. With regular maintenance and vandalism costs they can't be very profitable.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ridemonkey said:
Yeah, I would imagine they're more of a liability for the phone companies these days. With regular maintenance and vandalism costs they can't be very profitable.
I don't think the phone companies own many of the any more. I believe most are privately owned these days.

Last time I used a pay phone was in Ireland because my cell didn't work there.

Pay phones get alot of use for drug deals.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife bought me a phone a month ago, before that I uused them once and a while.

There are 2 in front of Plaid Pantry by my house and at night, there s at least one, of not both in use when I go by. Always by either white trash or latinos.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I took a trip to Downieville a few weeks back, an had to use one there cause, like sanjuro said, there was no cell reception.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
In Downieville, there is no cell phone coverage (a godsend), so the payphone in town gets a lot of use. There was a photo with Ariel and Abby of Maverick crammed into it in Bike Magazine last year.
That is the only pay phone I have used in probably 5 years, and I used it to call you. Good thing you couldn't talk that long or you would have costed me a fortune.