Quantcast

paypal

Woolleyfooley

Monkey
Mar 12, 2006
warwick new york
im planning on buying a bike using paypal and ive never used it before and i just wanted to know if its possible to get scammed on it. i know this probably isnt the right forum but idk where else to put it. so is it possible to get scammed using paypal?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes, it's possible to get scammed.

If you make sure the seller has a verified address (it will say that their address is verified if it is), you're protected by their policies so there's some protection there. Nothing is guaranteed but it's fairly safe if you make sure the person you're sending money to has a verified address.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
I built my entire 04 foes fxr on ebay. The only component that was used was the frame (4 months old). You need to look at the seller's feedback. Only buy from sellers with close to 100% positive feedback. Also only buy from established sellers ( don't be the first!). In general I had great expieriences. Top of the line stuff at about a 30-40% savings copared to the good (affordable) bike shops. The only bad expierience I had was with an easton stem. I never recieved it, however, the seller said he shipped it. We had a dispute and paypal refunded my Sixteen bucks. (it wasn't such a bad thing because I like the Thompson stem I found better!) Good luck!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I think he asked about Paypal, not ebaY.
Paypal is pretty secure, but they are slow to respond, and you will only get a refund if you never get the item you paid for. If you get the item in different condition, I hear they don't do a think for you. I would use a credit card to fund my Paypal transactions, because if you get screwed, you can always have your credit card refund the charge. I hear that's the way to do things when you're buying big parts. And do make sure it is from someone reputable, that is a good way to start off a big money transaction. I wouldn't give money to anyone whose not an established, verified Paypaller with a good reputation on some bike forum somewhere. Seems like everyone who bikes is one one forum or another, at least some of the time.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
You can get screwed by folks who charge a large shipping fee. Sometimes it's equal to the purchase price. Then you get the item...if it's broken or whatever Paypal will only require the seller to refund the actual price paid. So you lose out on shipping charges and you have to pay for shipping back to the seller.

It's a huge problem on the Ebay motors sites. Sellers will sell defective or questionalble items then get the item re-shipped back to them and they keep the "shipping" charge...then they do it all over again.....D

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
BMXman has a point with ebay motors and anything needed to be frieghted or specially shipped..just go to diablo and ask if yuo can leave a list of stuff you need...and alex, if yyou haven't noticed, its jesse...anyways..paypal is pretty cool..nbut make usre u get the guys info...number addres and everything..and ACTUALLY CALL HIM to verify it is him

MOVIN

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Paypal Is A Joke.use A Real Credit Card That Offers Buyer Protection.....paypal Are Crooks

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
erikkellison said:
I think he asked about Paypal, not ebaY.
Paypal is pretty secure, but they are slow to respond, and you will only get a refund if you never get the item you paid for. If you get the item in different condition, I hear they don't do a think for you. I would use a credit card to fund my Paypal transactions, because if you get screwed, you can always have your credit card refund the charge. I hear that's the way to do things when you're buying big parts. And do make sure it is from someone reputable, that is a good way to start off a big money transaction. I wouldn't give money to anyone whose not an established, verified Paypaller with a good reputation on some bike forum somewhere. Seems like everyone who bikes is one one forum or another, at least some of the time.

and most people that use ebay pay with paypal, hence his post

paypal's policy blows.

If you have a dispute with a buyer who used their credit card, you will lose. EVEN THOUGH you are right and you have evidence, their policy says something like "we abide by the decision of the credit card company." ANd of course, any good credit card company is going to side with THEIR client.

I've been through it with a non profit group - we got totally SCREWED.