Quantcast

paypal

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I am selling my bike to a guy in germany. He said he would pay me with paypal. I dont have a paypal account. What type of account should i make? Does paypal take a percentage of what he sends me?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
The guy seems legit, he has great english, he also has asked specific bike things.. I wont put the bike in the mail until i have the funds in my paypal account.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
The guy said he is willing to pay everything, i asked him what sites he regularly posts on. I can make an account on that site and pm the guy and see if hes the same guy, i can also read his posts and see if hes been around long enough to be taken seriously. if you read my posts you may think im a retard and a dumbe but you will know ive been here long enough that i am legit and there are people on this site who have met me. I would assume the same could go to a fella in germany.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The guy said he is willing to pay everything, i asked him what sites he regularly posts on. I can make an account on that site and pm the guy and see if hes the same guy, i can also read his posts and see if hes been around long enough to be taken seriously. if you read my posts you may think im a retard and a dumbe but you will know ive been here long enough that i am legit and there are people on this site who have met me. I would assume the same could go to a fella in germany.
Go ahead and do it, see if anyone gives a sh*t or does anything but laugh when you lose your ass.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Uh guys, people from europe do legitimately buy used bikes you know? It is cheaper for them to pay shipping there (even on new items) than it is to buy locally much of the time. I have sold multiple bikes to europe.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I say give him a discount. He's from Germany, it's not like he's from South Africa or something.

Western Union is your best bet, nobody ever gets scammed through Western Union.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I have to say almost all of the bike gear I have sold on the net has gone to Europe or Asia. I can think of 4 frames right now that went to Europe with no problems. As for shipping do whatever you can to use the US Postal Service(a full size bike box is to big), they have the best rates and should not rape the buyer with extra fees.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
make sure you get the money into your bank account so they cant do a charge back

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Uh guys, people from europe do legitimately buy used bikes you know? It is cheaper for them to pay shipping there (even on new items) than it is to buy locally much of the time. I have sold multiple bikes to europe.
Really? I thought all euros were greasy, good-for-nothing con artists.

Yeah, seriously guys. The guy's probably legit. Just tread carefully, like you should with any online transaction, and it'll be fine.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
make sure you get the money into your bank account so they cant do a charge back
Agreed, Make sure you withdraw the money before you send the bike, take in mind that its going to be pricy to send a bike overseas. As others said, tread lightly, if there is any talk of I will pay you this much, send back this much..... Run.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Really? I thought all euros were greasy, good-for-nothing con artists.

Yeah, seriously guys. The guy's probably legit. Just tread carefully, like you should with any online transaction, and it'll be fine.
Seriously...

I sold a frame to a guy in Austria once. Got paid through Paypal, no biggie. No scammer in their right mind will want to use Paypal...far too difficult to use fraudulently/too much paper trail. As long as you use a shipping method with insurance/delivery confirmation, you're pretty much in the clear.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Can someone explain to me how being paid through western union can end up scamming you? They supposedly send money to this place where you pick it up in cash I believe, and then you should feel morally obligated to send them the bike. I don't get it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Can someone explain to me how being paid through western union can end up scamming you? They supposedly send money to this place where you pick it up in cash I believe, and then you should feel morally obligated to send them the bike. I don't get it.
It is impossible as you will have cold hard cash in your hands. Easy for a seller to screw someone with western union, impossible for a buyer to do the same.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
... No scammer in their right mind will want to use Paypal....
That would be nice if they actaully had any ones best interest in mind.

I found my stollen DH bike for sale on e-bay (e-bay = paypal, FYI). I contacted my local PD, the PD from the city that the bike was being sold from, repeatedly contacted e-bay my self to let them know about the stollen property,......

Foreward a month plus and NO ONE has heard back from e-bay. They will not respond to repeated police inquiries...I was told (by one of the PDs to contact the FBI internet fraud division as they 'might' have better luck getting e-bay to return seller info requests....

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Partsbara's married to a Seppo not me, I'm married to a Jap.
I regard someone as a foreigner if they are foreign and have big hook noses, bad teeth and stink. YOU CAN'T TRUST 'EM DAVE.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Believe it or not, it is *probably* ok. Paypal is an escrow service, which is basically there to protect the buyer from cheesy sellers. Once he gets paid, the only way that he could get screwed is if the buyer claims he did not get the goods. That's why you make them sign for it.

The typical scams are with cashier checks, which are easy to forge.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The western Union scam Looks somehting like this.

Hi, Will you accept a Money order.

Sure,

Ok, I am anInternational Buyer and My client Is intersted in your bike, I will be sending you a money for for X amount, Ship the Product to me, and western union back the balance, That way I can cover shipping completly......

Belive it or not, People get the money order, Deposit them in the ATM, ship there bikes, and in a week the SHerrif is at there door with a Fake money order. I have let a couple of them sned the fake money order, one looked extremly legit, another was obviously fake.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The western Union scam Looks somehting like this.

Hi, Will you accept a Money order.

Sure,

Ok, I am anInternational Buyer and My client Is intersted in your bike, I will be sending you a money for for X amount, Ship the Product to me, and western union back the balance, That way I can cover shipping completly......

Belive it or not, People get the money order, Deposit them in the ATM, ship there bikes, and in a week the SHerrif is at there door with a Fake money order. I have let a couple of them sned the fake money order, one looked extremly legit, another was obviously fake.

Who gets a money order from Western Union? When you accept money at western union you get a stack of cash. The money order scam is when you deposit it at the bank. Western Union is pretty much painless and risk free for the seller.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
And your then asked to send the remainder back, Via western Union
Ok, one more time. Western Union is NOT A BANK. If someone pays you western union YOU GET CASH. There is no excess to send back. There is no money order. A seller cannot get screwed being paid by western union. End of story.

You need to read the posts you were replying to again.