Quantcast

Payson Rocks!

mr2monster

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
Even though I bent a rotor, popped a tire, and scratched my frame to bits, my Highline Trail in Payson kicked some ass!

X-post from mtbr.com

Yep, this is what i ditched hawes for... and I'm sorry.. kinda.

Went up to payson this morning with 2 of my friends (alpha9er and a buddy Will thats not on here.. yet) and tried to ride Hillview off of 289.

The morning was rushed because I woke up late due to the fact that i couldnt sleep and didnt go to bed until about 1:30. Needless to say, things were forgotten... things like the trail guide.. haha. But we made the best of it anyway and managed to find the trail head (I think). The ride started off on a down hill, which is always good. It was really rocky, but really fun.

Brad ate some dirt here:

Once the trail opened up a little I could tell this was going to be a great ride..

About a mile or so into the ride, i realized I forgot the camera so i had to truck my happy a$$ up the trail to the truck to get the camera, then back down.

Everyone was so happy to see me return, celebration ensued:

Jazz Hands!

Continuing on...

Brad is an adventure racer!

There were endless possibilities on this trail... I really wanted to ride this log but it just wasnt feasible for me. If there were a built entry it would rock!

The scenery was awesome, we rode the bank of a creek crossing here and there for about 3 miles until i popped a tire. Then we decided to head back. It was a nice mixture of singletrack, rocks, walking our bike over stuff we couldnt do (lots of that) and quick twisties. Here are a few more snaps from the trip.

Okay, it was a track stand... but i was humbled in the end.. hehe.

All in all I had a good time, I wish i would have remembered the trail guide because we actually went the wrong way on the trail from the guides writing, but it was fun anyway and it got me out of the desert. The weather was great and the only thing that sucked was not being able to breath because I'm sick....

mr2monster

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
Well... I'm not too sure.. There isnt anything that really sticks out in my head as over the top for the Stumpjumper so long as you're capable of riding it. There was a lot of technical stuff that we hiked because we just weren't balsy enough, or skilled enough to get through. Some of the climbs were really rocky, which made it difficult to get up on the bike. We didnt come across any drops over about 3' but we didnt do the whole trail by any means. In fact, we went to the wrong portion according to the Fat Tire trail guide by Cosmic Ray...

So, there's your diplomatic answer. haha...

If you can deal with the climb back to the top (and there is quite a bit of it), I'd take the big bike and bomb through some of the technical stuff.

bigdonut

Chimp
Mar 10, 2005
PHX
Is this trail at or near Christopher Creek? I think I rode this a couple years ago and trail was in pretty poor shape.

mr2monster

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
hmm, not really sure because you're coming the other way. Should be like an hour maybe?

1 recommendation. If you do the Cosmic Ray trail, just do the See Canyon to the 260 trailhead and back unless you REALLY like climbing very rocky stuff... and then decending the same type of stuff.