Quantcast

PC + Bluray 5:1 DVD/Sterro + PC = ?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hos the hell do I make this work? I want to link my PC into my entertainment center, but I'm lost at how I can add it into the system. Our cable has most of the available channels only accessible via online. I want to setup this PC so that I can access those channels, play my music, and work on the gigantic TV.

These are the pieces going in:
TV

Blu-ray (best link I could find with all the info)

PC:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-570t PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 quad-core processor with Turbo-Boost [up to 3.8GHz, 8MB cache]
• 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
• FREE UPGRADE! 1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 750GB
• 1GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 6450 [DVI, HDMI. VGA adapter]
• LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
• Integrated Ethernet port, No wireless LAN
• No TV Tuner

I also have the cable box to fit into this equation.

Any thoughts about how I should route this to make it all work?

I know how to setup everything without the PC. That's what is throwing me for a loop.

Thanks.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I searched around for ages trying to find an elegant and cheap (mainly cheap) solution to this. Eventually I just bought a 5 metre HDMI cable to connect to the computer.
Edit- You want to connect the computer through the Blu-ray/5.1 combo right? Problem is there's no HDMI in on the Blu-Ray player. I guess you'd like to be able to record some of those on-line programs as well. I see your problem.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
you need to get a proper home theater receiver that will have inputs for your BD player and PC. since your HTiB has a built in BD player, you can run the video and audio out into the new receiver and only use it for that purpose. the new receiver will power your speakers
most new surround sound receivers have more than enough inputs for what you want and they are relatively cheap in price. not only will they have more inputs then youll ever need, their sound will be improved as well.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
^^^can you please translate that into lowest common denominator speak? Also, what price point am I looking at to make everything work?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yeah with an integrated unit like that I can't see how he's going to do it. I agree with Rice, get a separate receiver, becomes straight-forward after that.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
^^^can you please translate that into lowest common denominator speak? Also, what price point am I looking at to make everything work?
He means use the Blu-ray just as a Blu-ray (I suppose it has a TV tuner and hard disk as well right?) and get a home theatre amp to run your 5.1. In my set up I have the Blu-ray into the first HDMI port on the TV, the STB for Pay TV into the second HDMI port, my computer into the third HDMI port, the Wii into the fourth component port and the other 3 are unused. The optical cable from the home theater receiver plugs into the optical port on the TV and I'm away and running.
I personally think $100 would get you something decent but I'm no audiophile and my 5.1 set-up was bought 8 years ago second hand so I'd be more inclined to listen to what Rice recommends.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Cheap is good for me. The next big question, is will I be able to still use the PC for other things? I want to use it for all of my media stuff, but also as a massive monitor for my normal computing.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
currently your HTiB has a BD player built into it and runs your speakers as well right? unfortunately most HTiB's dont have enough inputs (video and audio) to run other devices into it (pc, cable box, video game,) so thats where buying a new surround sound receiver would come into play. to cut down on extra costs, you can use your current HTiB receiver as a BD player only (wont be powering speakers anymore.)
the new receiver would have dedicated inputs for your BD player (HTiB,) PC, cable box and or video game system and would essentially act as a video/audio switcher. like i mentioned above, most newer receivers have enough inputs to run everything you have into them.

entry-mid level receivers can be had for under $200 and up. on top of that, youll need a few more cables to make everything work but thats really about it.
a good universal remote will control the headache of remotes you probably have too

installation scenario:
-BD Player (HTiB) into new receiver via HDMI out
-PC into new receiver via HDMI and optical. (a lot of PC's dont utilize the HDMI's audio integration so thats why youll need a optical out)
-Cable box into new receiver via HDMI or Component cable + audio
-Video game system into new receiver via HDMI or Component cable + audio

-New receiver will power speakers
-New receiver will use a single HDMI cable into your tv to output the video/audio from all your video sources

it might seem a bit daunting at first, but its relatively straight forward....unless i totally missed what you are trying to do.
i can draw you a picture of the setup if youd like as well.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Cheap is good for me. The next big question, is will I be able to still use the PC for other things? I want to use it for all of my media stuff, but also as a massive monitor for my normal computing.
Where will it be in relation to the TV? I'm guessing you also have a dedicated monitor for the computer. I personally dislike using my LCD as a monitor for web-surfing, it's difficult to read not as sharp as a dedicated monitor. But obviously for any d/loaded video it's great.
Edit- just saw your PC has no wireless card so extra info not needed.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It looks like your Blu Ray has an optical in for audio, and your PC has an optical out.

Your TV link doesn't work - how many HDMI inputs does it have?

If your TV has three HDMI inputs for your Blu Ray player, your PC and your cable box, it looks like you don't need anything else.

Optical cable from PC -> Blu Ray
HDMI from PC -> TV
HDMI from Blu Ray -> TV
HDMI from cable box -> TV

That will pipe your PC sound through your 5.1 speakers, your Blu Ray sound through your 5.1 speakers, and your cable box sound through your TV. I don't know if the Blu Ray player will accept a second sound source (it has a coax input, so it's possible, but sometimes the S/PDIF and coax sound inputs are shared).

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Ok, how about this?

Blu-ray -> (HDMI) -> TV (will this encode the DD 5.1 on it?)
Computer -> (HDMI) -> TV
TV -> (Optical audio out) -> Receiver

Granted this would run both the tv and blu-ray audio through the TV first, but with the optical audio out on the TV, you could allow any audio that's on the TV to play through the receiver as well. We do this with both HDMI from the computer and RF (antenna) signals that we pick up over the air. I'm not *positive* about the surround sound on the HDMI, since few of the shows I have on my computer offer surround sound. It definitely works with the antenna, though, I just wish that more shows/events offered surround sound.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Best thing is to find a decent 5.1 or 7.1 receiver at like Costco or something.

We dig our Panasonic blue-ray because it streams Netflix and Pandora, and it also has a common control with the Panasonic TV through the HDMI. (example, put in a disc and the TV turns on automatically, etc)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Oh...also Costco has some wireless HDMI receivers, in case you want to patch the PC audio over to the stereo/TV/receiver without running some long cabling.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Ok, how about this?

Blu-ray -> (HDMI) -> TV (will this encode the DD 5.1 on it?)
Computer -> (HDMI) -> TV
TV -> (Optical audio out) -> Receiver

Granted this would run both the tv and blu-ray audio through the TV first, but with the optical audio out on the TV, you could allow any audio that's on the TV to play through the receiver as well. We do this with both HDMI from the computer and RF (antenna) signals that we pick up over the air. I'm not *positive* about the surround sound on the HDMI, since few of the shows I have on my computer offer surround sound. It definitely works with the antenna, though, I just wish that more shows/events offered surround sound.
Ok, scratch all of that. Apparently even though my computer will output DD 5.1 via HDMI, it's based on your TV as to whether it will recognize it. My entry-level Samsung plasma will only accept 2 channel via HDMI, even though it will accept DD 5.1 through the RF feed (and output 5.1 through the optical audio out). I'd bet this is more an intentional crippling since it's an entry level product though?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
more then likely. its probably there to cut down on the cost of a DD decoder
Which sucks, because it does have a DD decoder (? it splits the RF signal and outputs DD 5.1 via the optical audio out), it just won't split off the DD from the HDMI signal. Or rather, when the HDMI is plugged in, it tells the computer that it only accepts 2 channel, so the computer only outputs audio in 2 channel.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Which sucks, because it does have a DD decoder (? it splits the RF signal and outputs DD 5.1 via the optical audio out), it just won't split off the DD from the HDMI signal. Or rather, when the HDMI is plugged in, it tells the computer that it only accepts 2 channel, so the computer only outputs audio in 2 channel.
hmm well IIRC its not processing the DD signal, its just passing it through to the optical out.
it could also very well be because of copyright issues then with the HDMI signal.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
It's also relatively common, and it seems to be a computer problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-sound/problem-outputting-51-surround-sound-via-tv-to-a/2edeb051-46d8-4428-81d9-23782ad12543

Apparently with a passive output (XBox360/Playstation/etc) it just exports the 5.1 signal and allows the TV to deal with it or pass it through. With a computer, however, it recognizes that it's connected to a 2-channel device (even though it passes it along to the receiver) and only outputs in stereo. My laptop does have an optical out, so that might enable me to output via 5.1? Unfortunately I'm pretty sure my stereo only has one optical audio in....

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's also relatively common, and it seems to be a computer problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-sound/problem-outputting-51-surround-sound-via-tv-to-a/2edeb051-46d8-4428-81d9-23782ad12543

Apparently with a passive output (XBox360/Playstation/etc) it just exports the 5.1 signal and allows the TV to deal with it or pass it through. With a computer, however, it recognizes that it's connected to a 2-channel device (even though it passes it along to the receiver) and only outputs in stereo. My laptop does have an optical out, so that might enable me to output via 5.1? Unfortunately I'm pretty sure my stereo only has one optical audio in....
this is typically the case when it comes to hooking up a computer with HDMI. most computers wont pass a multi channel output via the HDMI so most people would have to use the optical or coax outputs.

does your laptop have the ability to mount on a dock? my Dells have a dock that has a optical and coax output (and a slew of other outputs/inputs)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
this is typically the case when it comes to hooking up a computer with HDMI. most computers wont pass a multi channel output via the HDMI so most people would have to use the optical or coax outputs.

does your laptop have the ability to mount on a dock? my Dells have a dock that has a optical and coax output (and a slew of other outputs/inputs)
I doubt it (Lenovo Y550). My computer has an optical out, but the tv doesn't have a plain optical in (just a PC 3.5mm jack), and my receiver only has 1 optical in. If it comes down to it I might look into getting an optical switch and plugging the laptop directly into the receiver that way, but since it's not really an HTPC I'm not that worried about it. So far just about all of my media files are in stereo anyway, although that might change as technology progresses...

So back on topic, listen to IHRice. The "run everything through the TV" won't work.