Quantcast

PC people, is this a good deal?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Seems ok, but there is supposedly a Costco business store in Seattle that carries all of the returned computers from other store and is supposed to have good deals.

I have never been but multiple people have told me about it.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
BAH said:
I don't have one, but my roommate did and he had far more trouble with it than it was worth. Just about everything broke (battery, trackpad, HD, etc). I know there are a lot of people that have had trouble with them, and their quality control has gone down over the past few years (they used to be up there with Sony, IBM, and Apple). I would go with a Vaio if you're PC specific, or go with a PowerBook if you don't care about platform.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
It's an ok deal. I'd look deep into online reviews, battery life, speed, wireless performance, etc can swing wildly with laptops.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
apparently costco has a 6 month return policy? Ive posted on other sites too, it seems to be about 50/50...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have a dell inspiron 1150 that i'm having a lot of problems with. Then a gain, all the computers I've owned have had major problems.

My computer is screwed up..so I used my dads laptop to do my homework on thew web. A day later it got really screwed and up. Its now about dead. I used my brothers computer and it got messed up too (but my dad was able to fix it).

I must have the touch of death.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've had a couple great Dell laptops.

I would highly recommend looking into an IBM Thinkpad. I supported a medical group that used a lot of different laptops and the Thinkpads were always great, reliable machines. They can be a little pricey but you get some nice features, decent tech support and a lightweight, reliable notebook.

Can't give a whole lot of advice about laptops, though - I just haven't owned many. There are so many variables with laptops that it's really a crapshoot - you can do things to improve your odds of getting a good one, but even buying a good brand and a good model doesn't always get you a good laptop. There are a lot of lemons out there.

I always recommend desktops unless you really need a laptop, but as a photographer, I'd say you probably really need a laptop :)

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I beat on a Toshiba Satellite through my college years and never had any trouble with it. I did have a second battery which was a big help. Of course, I bought a Compaq R3000 a year and a half ago and it has been trouble free as well.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've had a Toshiba laptop for a couple years now and it's had no problems at all. It's travelled all over the US and Europe, survived flights across the ocean and drives across the country. No complaints from me about Toshiba laptops.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You'll never get a definitive answer. If there's one thing you can expect from PC manufacturers it's inconsistency. I had a Toshiba laptop years ago, and it was great. I'm sure there are others who had the same one and it was a nightmare for them. The user can have something to do with it too...

The truth is you never really know with PCs. My only recommendation is that you stay as far away as you can from HP or Compaq, or any machine with proprietary onboard hardware. Make sure it has quality components, that aren't built into the the motherboard (so they can be replaced).

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
when i was working for the cell phone company we used some old toshiba laptops in the service department and i will tell ya they were tough computers. never once had a single problem with them.