Quantcast

PC racing games

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How does it compare to Forza 3 and GT5? I'm probably going to cave in at some point this spring and buy a PS3 and GT5 but I'm trying to resist.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
How does it compare to Forza 3 and GT5? I'm probably going to cave in at some point this spring and buy a PS3 and GT5 but I'm trying to resist.
they all are completely different. GT5 focuses more on the simulator aspect of racing, where Grid and Shift still have a arcade feel to them. still fun to play though, just completely different from GT5

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What about in terms of immersion into the world? F1 was good for 1 week of immersion. GT5 is good for a few months? How about NFS? Immersive at all? With 70 cars and 19 tracks or whatever it is I'm not sure that it's a big enough world, if that makes sense.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What about in terms of immersion into the world? F1 was good for 1 week of immersion. GT5 is good for a few months? How about NFS? Immersive at all? With 70 cars and 19 tracks or whatever it is I'm not sure that it's a big enough world, if that makes sense.
i didnt lose interest as fast as some others games while playing Shift or Grid.
there might not be as many cars or races as GT5, but they were still fun to play. i played the game for a couple of weeks before sending it back.

the cars and physics are a little more "forgiving" in a sense that you can make a mistake while racing and not cause you to lose like can happen in GT. in terms of overall physics, nothing that ive played comes close to the new GT5. yes there are some short comings in the game, but the actual driving of the cars is the best part of GT5 to me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just played through the NFS:Shift demo, and I did not care for its physics engine. In the designers' effort to make a drift-friendly game they neglected to make one where throttle modulation can allow for a smooth line through a corner. That, plus the flip- and spin-friendly AI, made for a very non-racing experience, at least for me. That's not really what I'm looking for.

The graphics were beautiful, on the other hand, and it was amusing to see the damage model at work, such as when my R35 GT-R's hood flew off...

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Yeah I wasn't too impressed with shift at all, other than the graphics. The cars would automatically kick the back end out so far then maintain it in a formulaic fashion instead of me making the car do it.

Surprisingly I had a ton of fun with hot pursuit. It's arcade as can be but it's still manages to be fun as hell. Biggest problem is the complete lack of anti-aliasing so JAGGIES EVERYWHERE literally gives me a headache/eye ache for some reason.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think I'm going to cave in and just buy a PS3 and GT5. Forza 3 is an option, too, but then I'd have to buy another, proprietary wheel. (On the other hand, if bought through Microsoft friends the whole setup might cost the same as a PS3 + GT5 + no extra wheel.)

Here is a very non-fluffy analysis of GT5 that, imo, shows it to be technically head and shoulders above the PC games, sims or not, discussed in this thread:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think I'm going to cave in and just buy a PS3 and GT5.
… and I caved in. I just ordered a PS3 slim and GT5 from amazon. $75 amazon credit with the purchase sweetened the deal.