Quantcast

PDC 825 owners - long term reviews/thoughts?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Well i'm about two months away from being able to get my own, and I think a couple of you may have owned them for around a year now. How have they been going - any issues or complaints at all?

Talking to kyle, there's a few small changes for 07 - the main one being that it fits a regular DHX, which i'm stoked about, and it's also gone to regular cartridge bearings instead of the needles in order to handle thrust/sideloading. Finally, it's now coming in S/M/L now rather than the one size.

Apart from that it's the same to my knowledge. So vitox, xy9ine, flyinwinn, moominator, and anyone else.. spill! :)

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
it was working a few days ago when i looked and I talked to kyle a week ago and he didn't mention anything about shutting down

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Still very much alive and kicking...internet rumours rock. I only spoke to kyle yesterday and he mentioned a large order from a euro distributor. Not sure why the site is down though, maybe changing for 07.

He did mention some changes on the solaris for 07 production but I didn't ask since i'm more interested in the 825.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
weird.. the website claims a 14.4" BB height with a 7" fork yet oweners claim a sub-14" BB with 8" forks...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Still very much alive and kicking...internet rumours rock. I only spoke to kyle yesterday and he mentioned a large order from a euro distributor.
good to hear. kyle's been pretty much nonexistant this season. back to the bike - i've been on the 825 for over a year now, and it's been great. light, compact, great pedaling, short stays, low bb, and a slightly steeper ha = fun & versatile. my only gripes seem to be addressed in the new model; those being: 1). lack of shock reservoir clearance with the seattube limiting shock fitment (dhx won't fit for example) and 2). the needle bearing pivot assembly, though durable, is a bit finicky to set up (you have to load the o-rings between the links & frame tight enough to eliminate lateral flex, but this adds stiction to the swingarm movement). i'm pondering doing the short-travel dh'er thing next - ie, shorter shock & sc fork (maybe a travis); could be a fun little bike. not unlike this (inspiration c/o vitox):

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Cheers xy, sounds good to me.
I've probably asked before, but have you figured out what your HA is?

I'm curious what it'd be at (along with the BB height) with BWC, flat crowns, flush headset, but with the stanchions dropped all the way in the crowns (highest A-C)... and also what it'd be with it at its lowest.

Also - are you running 165 cranks? i'm guessing 170's may clip a bit if the BB is lower than a sunday. And finally - what size tyres are you running? maxxis 2.5's are the tyre of choice here, are you running anything smaller?

weird.. the website claims a 14.4" BB height with a 7" fork yet oweners claim a sub-14" BB with 8" forks...
The website figures are pretty far off (in a good way); the actual figures are something like below. Most of these figures are from xy (so medium, boxxer wc, flush headset), with a few bits and pieces from vitox and kyle.

Head Angle: 66.35*
BB Height: 13.75"
Chainstays: 16.77"
Wheelbase: 45.75"
Front Centre: 28.98"

Weights:
8.59lbs with 12mm axle, no shock or shock hardware (vitox)
10.5lbs with 12mm axle (?), swinger 6way, ti spring (xy9ine)
10.74lbs with 12mm axle, swinger 6way, 450lbs steel spring (kyle)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
yep, same as your dhr
1.5", 135x12 rear, 73mm bb shell

eddiegold

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
i've had mine for about a year now, i love it. Pedals great even tho i've changed to a rocco rear shock with with no pedal platform. Handles nice in the air, corners like its on rails.
The issues i've had are,
not that much tyre clearance a 2.5 minion will fit but theres not that much room, i run a 2.3 high roller now with no probs.
seat post fits kinda of loose as well as the seat clamp, can never seem to get it tight enough to stop the post slipping around, i've never heard anyone else complain of this so maybe i was just unlucky.
The bottom bracket is quite low but not a problem if you think about where you pedal, i'd go 165mm cranks if i get some new cranks instead of the 170mm i've got, the upside of that is obviously the cornering.
The british importer sent me a upgraded lower linkage which is supposed to improve the suspension action i've fitted it but not had a chance to properly test this out.
When fitting it i got a good chance to see how well the seals and bearings were holding up, they all looked fine and the grease was looking pretty fresh considering they are a year old.

There are some pics of mine here http://edward782.fotopic.net/

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Good to hear.
You guys should consider geting some more pics like that up on the home page - it currently looks pretty static/generic & kinda dead as is.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
eddiegold -
That's sweet dude, how's the 888SL treating ya?
What travel are you running them at?

Makes sense that a 2.5" minion just fits, given the chainstay length. I might be keen to run a 2.35" minion on the back at some stage (slacker HA too), but given that mud races aren't too common here I think the 2.5 will be fine.

Any idea what got changed on the lower linkage - or if it was just the dimensions, what effect it was supposed to have? Just curious. As for the seatpost thing, that's the first i've heard - you're running a 30.0 right? My only idea would be to try running a different brand post.

jvn -
It's been posted on here, that's TheFlyingWinn's

eddiegold

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
i was going to be giving the 888's their first go this weekend but when getting the bike ready i noticed oil around the ata cap, apparently the first few had some dodgy seal that lets oil out when stored upside down, so they have gone off to be repaired:disgust1:
They felt alright having a quick spin out on the street, alot lighter than the shivers anyway.
I think the linkage plate makes the suspension more progressive and gives a bit more travel if i remember correctly. Again i was hoping to try that out this weekend.
I've tried lots of different seat posts out they have all been the same.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
PDC's look nice, too bad they copied Knolly bikes frame design.

Its a shame they are still making them. Sure the shock placement is different but damn, no respect for PDC here.

Why cant you see the front triangles are similiar?

sorry for h8ting...moving on....

l8r

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC

Its a shame they are still making them. Sure the shock placement is different but damn, no respect for PDC here.
I am stupider for having read that last post.

Care to explain how there are any similarities at all between a Knolly and a PDC 825, other than a few tubes in the mainframe being in similar positions? They are completely different suspension designs, do you think that everyone who makes a dirt jumping frame is ripping off the manufacturer of the first road bike just because they both use twin-triangle mainframes? You sir, are an arseclown.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Humm never heard that one but from what you've described I don't know that i'd place the kona/turner issue in the same boat by any means.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You are sad, the truth is all it takes to freak some people out. look closely at a Knolly Vtach and the 825 and you will see many many similarities.

Heres some truth Donkey. PDC called Knolly bikes and asked,"where do you get your tubing? what about extrusion methods,etc...." Knolly, being the genuine, extremly helpful MTB ambassador/legend he is, was kind enough to answer some questions.
1. The PDC uses Easton RAD tubing - the same as many other highend bikes.
2. The bikes are NOTHING alike. The suspension designs are completely different, with the knolly using an FSR design with a modified shock linkage; while the PDC uses a karpiel-esque arrangement that gives a slightly rearwards axle path and good pedalling characteristics (unlike the majority of FSR's).
3. The PDC has more travel, entirely different and IMO far better geometry. Much lower BB, shorter chainstays, longer front-centre, lower standover... got racebike? The 825 is also significantly lighter.

Last edited:

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
One RM member (Rabie) in SOCal has had one for a while. He likes enough that he has used it exclusively for slopestyle. It rode like a DV, I like it..

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001

Why cant you see the front triangles are similiar?

sorry for h8ting...moving on....

l8r
KILL. YOUR. SELF.

R

Rabie

One RM member (Rabie) in SOCal has had one for a while. He likes enough that he has used it exclusively for slopestyle. It rode like a DV, I like it..
Actually, it spends most of its time these days as a coat rack. Which makes me sad. And fat. I've got the next two weeks off. You should come up and ride in the OC.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
If you cant see PDC's 825 FRONT Triangle is basically a Vtach ripoff you are BLIND! The Tubesets, geometry and even the seat angle were exactly the same back in 2004. Thats all I am saying.

Anyway, just had to set it straight.

They look like Nice bikes, please continue on & enjoy the ride.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Im not sure but i bealive that the 825 was made prior to the v-tach...so not sure how they whould have gone about copying it with the frame already in production but again im not sure.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
If you cant see PDC's 825 FRONT Triangle is basically a Vtach ripoff you are BLIND! The Tubesets, geometry and even the seat angle were exactly the same back in 2004. Thats all I am saying.

Anyway, just had to set it straight.

They look like Nice bikes, please continue on & enjoy the ride.
Yeah because there's just so much variation in front triangles in general, and the overall look of them is so relevant to how a bike rides. It's not like changes in the geometry make massive differences or anything anyway. Oh and who would have ever predicted that off-the-shelf Easton RAD tubesets would look similar on two different bikes! And slack seat tube angles - well that's definitely on Knolly's patented innovations list, because nobody else has ever put slack seat tubes on a DH/FR frame. PDC just ripped that idea straight off Knolly.

:plthumbsdown:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought Knolly's claim to fame was the near vertical seat tube, so you could adjust the seat up and down. They don't even do that anymore, now it's super slack, and that sucks.

If anything, it's the other way around, but I think you're making it up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oops, I'm wrong, the vtach never had a straight seat tube. Why does anybody care about that bike, again?

The closest thing the PDC comes to ripping off is the karpiel, and that's a really, really, really good design to "take influence" from. The psuedo-karpiel link pedals really well, I will say from experience.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Actually, it spends most of its time these days as a coat rack. Which makes me sad. And fat. I've got the next two weeks off. You should come up and ride in the OC.
HAHAHAHAHA! You're riding a ripoff design. It's been researched extensively on this thread. I bet your shock bolts were copied too. I saw two unnecessary holes on your PDC and that a Nicolai ripoff you hack. Mountain Cycle came up with Slopestyle before you called your bike slopestye so you can't call it that. YOU ARE A TOOL!

hey, we are riding Bootleg on the 23rd. should be availble to ride new year's weekend..pm me your cell

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Did I see you in Laguna a month or so ago? Do you have a singlecrown Travis on yours?

R

Rabie

HAHAHAHAHA! You're riding a ripoff design. It's been researched extensively on this thread. I bet your shock bolts were copied too. I saw two unnecessary holes on your PDC and that a Nicolai ripoff you hack. Mountain Cycle came up with Slopestyle before you called your bike slopestye so you can't call it that. YOU ARE A TOOL!

hey, we are riding Bootleg on the 23rd. should be availble to ride new year's weekend..pm me your cell
Everything these days is so complicated. I remember a simpler time when I was a freerider and everything was gay. Where does the time go?