Quantcast

Pearl Izumi shoes

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Anyone have a pair, MTB or road? What do you think of them? Comfortable? Durable? Light? I think wifey is about to buy a pair. She called me from a shop and said the shoes were very comfortable. She's not sure though becuase we haven't heard too much about them. Generally speaking though, Pearl Izumi merchandise is top notch, plus it's only $75, so it's not like she is buying a new bike. I just told her to buy the darn things. :D

Oh, pardon me for the sort-of bike post.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I have PI shoes for my road bike. They are nice but I've been spoiled by Sidi. They aren't as nice as Sidi's in my opinion. I'll use them until they wear out, then get some Sidi's.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i like my PI road shoes. i can't remember which ones they were...carbon I-Beam sole, 3 velcro straps. a couple people here in Austin have said that the sole tore off, though. replaced right away, but i've never had that problem, and mine went through some torture last summer.

--edit--

toe box was pretty wide for me, so i just threw some Dr. Scholl's things in and all was cured.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I Are Baboon said:
She called me from a shop and said the shoes were very comfortable.
IMO, that's the most important thing. I'd rather wear a pair of comfortable $75 shoes than some uncomfortable $200 shoes, just because of the brand.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
the Inbred said:
toe box was pretty wide for me, so i just threw some Dr. Scholl's things in and all was cured.
MBC has small but wide feet, so maybe the wide toe box is why they fit well.

Sidis tend to be narrow from what I've found. MBC has a pair and doesn't like them for this reason. I tried Sidis as well. VERY soft and comfortable around my feet, but uncomfortably tight on one foot. I am caught between sizes with Sidi. Shimanos fit me very well.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I Are Baboon said:
VERY soft and comfortable around my feet, but uncomfortably tight on one foot. I am caught between sizes with Sidi. Shimanos fit me very well.
Maybe your feet are like mine. My left foot is 1/2 size bigger than my right foot. I end up having to buy shoes that fit my left foot and are a bit too big for my right.

I recently bought some Specialized Sport shoes. Pretty roomy toe box. I too had to add some Dr Scholls, and now they fit awesome. My first ride in them was last week's epic and I was a bit scared on how they'd feel once I got out on the trail. No worries though. They felt great.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
pixelninja said:
Maybe your feet are like mine. My left foot is 1/2 size bigger than my right foot. I end up having to buy shoes that fit my left foot and are a bit too big for my right.

I recently bought some Specialized Sport shoes. Pretty roomy toe box. I too had to add some Dr Scholls, and now they fit awesome. My first ride in them was last week's epic and I was a bit scared on how they'd feel once I got out on the trail. No worries though. They felt great.
Yup, my left foot is bigger. I could not convice the shop to sell me two different size shoes. :D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'd been riding 2001 Specialized Pro Roads before the PIs and liked the PIs more. i like how they fit in the heel area (and once i got the Dr. S soles, in the toe box, as well). the whole Body Geometry thing bugged me in the Pro Roads, as well...doesn't bother me in my Speccy Carbon Comps (mtn), though.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
golgiaparatus said:
Got some specialized sport mountain shoes. Last week because, get this, my shoes up and dissapeared. I have NO idea where they are, I looked EVERYWHERE.
MMike snuck in your stuff and stole them. He is growing more canadians in them as we speak.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I wear Specialized Mtn. Sport shoes, and love them. That being said, I've heard nothing but good things about the P.I. Vagabonds (sp?) and might be ordering some shortly if I can find a pair to try on. (And, they're on sale for $59.98 at Performance)

McGRP01 said:
I wear Specialized Mtn. Sport shoes, and love them. That being said, I've heard nothing but good things about the P.I. Vagabonds (sp?) and might be ordering some shortly if I can find a pair to try on. (And, they're on sale for $59.98 at Performance)
I think those are the ones I tried. They were really comfy - but a tad big. I seem to ALWAYS fall in between 2 sizes. Maybe I should get the 39s and find insoles - like you guys said....

edit: btw, I did not buy them. when I asked the guy if PIs come in half sizes he gave me this big dissertation about how euro sizes don't come in half sizes. I said, "some do." but he just went on so I said thanks and left.

double edit: I was REALLY out to find the Shimano womans M120 to try today but all our lbs' suck around here. THe good ones are at least a 40 minute drive. DAMMIT!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
MtnBikerChk said:
I think those are the ones I tried. They were really comfy - but a tad big. I seem to ALWAYS fall in between 2 sizes. Maybe I should get the 39s and find insoles - like you guys said....

edit: btw, I did not buy them. when I asked the guy if PIs come in half sizes he gave me this big dissertation about how euro sizes don't come in half sizes. I said, "some do." but he just went on so I said thanks and left.

http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3331 has them for $50.00.

DRB said:
THANKS! That seems like a sweet deal!

"In order to mount your pedal's cleats to your shoes, they must have matching bolt patterns. There are three configurations (diagram) used on cycling shoes, SPD-R, Look/SPD-SL and SPD."

you sayin I can't get my frog cleats on those? apparently, you've never met Mr Dremel :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I"ve tried PI shoes on but they didn't fit my feet well at all.

My Diadora Geckos are getting pretty worn out inside. so much so that my foot starts to hurt where the cleat attaches to the shoe after a long ride - especially a road ride (I use Time Atacs for both MTB and Road bikes).

What are some other good deals out there right now on shoes? There were some sweet prices on Sidi High top MTB shoes at Ediscountbike.com but unfortunately they didn't have any in stock in my size. I thought about those Sidis last night when my ankle hit a rock in "Devils Kitchen" at Nassahegon. :mumble: