Quantcast

Peat Signs For 3 Years With Santa Cruz- Offical

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
NOVEMBER 7TH

STEVE PEAT SIGNS A THREE YEAR DEAL WITH THE SANTA CRUZ SYNDICATE TEAM

Monday 12.17

This is the hottest news in the mountainbike world right now. Dirt have just spoken to Steve Peat in Fort William (where he is checking out the possibility of a new course) and we can exclusively tell you that last Friday he signed a three year deal to ride for the Santa Cruz Syndicate team. The rumours have been doing the rounds on the internet forums but this is it, this is the real deal.
There will be more news for you as we get it, we can confirm that he will be racing in Royal clothing, but check back for more details.

NOW THAT'S A SCOOP!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Maybe he was inspired after seeing Mark Beaumont step it up in the past year. He used to race an Orange before he moved over to use the V10 this year.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Something tells me that the santa cruz will be a much better bike than the 18 year old orange bike. Good for peaty, nice to see the veterans of the sport still hooking the big deals.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
SCARY said:
My impulse is to reply to EVERYTHING Stik says .......must.........not.......reply..........rrrrggghh!
OK....what gives? You haven't been online is something like 6 months and now you're tagging every post in the forum. You getting back to your www.dhrace.com ways? Or did you get laid off from work...and why in the hell are you online so early in the morning??

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
People who have allways been against the VPP design claiming it doesnt work (probably because they couldnt afford one or didnt think of it themselves, were still making Horst link or single pivot bikes or who just said it because it was "the cool thing"to say) wil be put in to place.
I think the bike really suits Peats style and I hope he finally wins the Worlds to shut up that stuck up Frenchman. :nuts:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Kevin said:
People who have allways been against the VPP design claiming it doesnt work (probably because they couldnt afford one or didnt think of it themselves, were still making Horst link or single pivot bikes or who just said it because it was "the cool thing"to say) wil be put in to place.
I think the bike really suits Peats style and I hope he finally wins the Worlds to shut up that stuck up Frenchman. :nuts:
I'm going to have to :stosh: this post...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Acadian said:
I'm going to have to :stosh: this post...
I'm going to have to second that stoshing...

Anyone who is "put into place" because of a pro's contract choice is a fool.

And anyone who speculates that all who dislike VPP have no real reason to do so, is just as foolish...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Downhiller said:
so v10 will now sell better...

good for s.c. but bad for fans who buy orange just because steve have one....:nuts:
why the hell would someone buy a bike because a pro rides it?

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Damn, first Minnar,now Peaty. How is orange going to sell any bikes without their posterboys? Any body wana bet on the run on sales for V10's

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...WOW.......

I remember somone talking about Peaty moving to SC during Interbike and posting it here. I also remember saying in that thread "...there's no way in hell Peaty would ride for anyone other than Team Orange England"...."

...now I've seen everything. :help:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Man, I still think of GT when people mention Peat... This is crazy my world has been turned upside down and I'm going to wear only an umbrella for the rest of the day. Smithers.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
biggins said:
Could that be the reason why bike companies sponsor bike racers? Ask Trek if sponsorship works?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
stiksandstones said:
Something tells me that the santa cruz will be a much better bike than the 18 year old orange bike. Good for peaty, nice to see the veterans of the sport still hooking the big deals.
The flipside is who loses out...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
You guys are acting surprised about this stuff.
CREAM
Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
It is not a VPP vs. single pivot debate.
It is a dollar debate.
Santa Cruz offered him more.

It happens all the time.
David K traded in his M3 for a KHS for God's sake.
EC rides a Mongoose
Mick Hannah raced all year on that gold eyesore from Haro.
The list goes on....:blah:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Jeremy R said:
You guys are acting surprised about this stuff.
CREAM
Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
It is not a VPP vs. single pivot debate.
It is a dollar debate.
Santa Cruz offered him more.

It happens all the time.
David K traded in his M3 for a KHS for God's sake.
EC rides a Mongoose
Mick Hannah raced all year on that gold eyesore from Haro.
The list goes on....:blah:
amen :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty cool stuff, but I'm a biased SCB 'ho. Damn, with Peat and Rennie they've really got a couple of bruisers for next year and beyond.

I agree that it's kooky to buy a bike (or anything) purely because some pro uses it too. And yet, it happens all the time.

And if Peat kills it and gets his rainbow stripes riding for SCB, there will be no way to avoid the single pivot v. VPP debate. Unless he does it on a Super 8!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Peaty has been looking at beaumont's bike all ride, rode it a bunch etc. He likes the bike for sure, but I am sure the $$$ that Orange admitted it couldn't match didn't hurt.

No matter what he is on next year, I am sure he will kill it. Syndicate could be really good for him, as he no longer has to stress out over team stuff. He is just a rider again, instead of rider, manager, driver etc

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Transcend said:
Peaty has been looking at beaumont's bike all ride, rode it a bunch etc. He likes the bike for sure, but I am sure the $$$ that Orange admitted it couldn't match didn't hurt.

No matter what he is on next year, I am sure he will kill it. Syndicate could be really good for him, as he no longer has to stress out over team stuff. He is just a rider again, instead of rider, manager, driver etc
Yeah if Peat rocks it out next year it will be hard to pin down exactly what gave him the ability to step up. Being able to focus on being "just a rider" all by itself could be enough. A new bike might be enough. The motivation from being so close, so many times, might also be enough. Put it all together and...yikes, watch out.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Transcend said:
I'm with you on this one. If all he has to do is race, ride, and do his thing instead of worrying about everything else related to the team he'll probably do much better (not like he's done that bad either!). I imagine that had a big part in leaving that no one says.

And as far as the bike thing goes, when you're fast you're fast. Peaty doesn't need a single pivot or VPP or FSR or anything, the guy will still be fast no matter what. I don't think people realize this. At the level they are riding it is more the skill than the bike.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
biggins said:
i really dont know but i said that because i know few people who buy bikes just because pro riders ride and they want to be like them...

funny thing to hear but sad thing to listen from them how they are gonna be like pro riders because they have bike like they have....

they dont understand that bike is in second place, first is rider than bike...

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
I brought mine around the same time peaty started riding oranges. Believe it or not some people do like oranges. But that's beside the point.

He has never been slow on an Orange. He probably would have dominated this year. At the start of the season he was ON IT. So the bike has never held him back. He isn't going to start dominating because he is riding a v10... He'll be dominating because he is Peaty.

Good luck!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
blt2ride said:
Good for Peaty. A three year contract sounds like a really solid deal. Rennie, Zink, and Peaty, that's a dream team.

Zink is now Haro, correct?

(forgive me if this has been mentioned. the post was on the first page and i don't feel like reading the entire thread of nonsense blabble.)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i'm interested in hearing more from the "let's see Peaty step it up big now that he's on avpp bike" crowd. . . . . . call me crazy, but he hasn't exactly been slow (or even slower) lately:nopity:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
i think i is pretty funny that people think "oh, now he will be able to win worlds", or "now he will be a dominant rder again"... it is silly. it is the rider at this level that makes all the difference. if a rider is fast enough on their bike to win 2 overall world cup titles, and countless individual WC races (the first and last races of 2005 come to mind as well) then they and whatever bike they are on are capable of winning worlds (i doubt peat's bike is the reason he crashed in the last corner at les gets while winning by 2 seconds)

all the bikes these guys are on are good enough for anyone of us on this forum. just look at what vouilloz won on (all single pivots, some simple some with links), minnaar won world cup overall on single pivots and worlds on an fsr, rennie won world cup title on an fsr, and barrel has won worlds twice on a lincage driven single pivot.... all totally different bikes, all capable of taking any top rider to victory if they can perform at their best

bottom line, orange is a small company and does not have the money to pay top stars like peat and minnarr. money talks, this is a job and a business to these riders. santa cruz makes a competitive bike and offered him more money than orange could match.... that is a no brainer, especially if you are a rider who is getting older and thinking about the future (keep in mind peat just became a father and has a family to provide for)

all of you think about the jobs you have now. would you take the same job with a competitor if they offered you more money?

i think it is good for top riders to switch up teams every once in a while. it keeps the sport fresh and makes it interesting to follow. so far it looks like a bunch of big names are switching to new teams next year, so it should make for an interesting season. people pay a lot more attention to the first few races when lots of big name riders are on new equipment for the first time in competition.

props to santa cruz for investing heavy into racing and freeride. only good things can come of teams doing this sort of thing