Quantcast

Peaty & Orange 223

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Steve Peat is damn good. And that Orange bike seems to perform so well. (I heard it goes down to 35#s when he races it.)

I wonder if the 35lb weight rumor is accurate ? Anyone know how they do it ? What parts he swaps to.

Also, does the bike have something to offset brakejack ? Doesn't appear to have a floating.

PS: why do so many people hack on Single Pivots when they work so well ? I don't get it. Simple, little failure and practically maint. free.

:confused:

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
Originally posted by gmac

Also, does the bike have something to offset brakejack ? Doesn't appear to have a floating.

PS: why do so many people hack on Single Pivots when they work so well ? I don't get it. Simple, little failure and practically maint. free.

SP can ride BTTW. You have to use the brake to get jack.

Dumb bashers, Cedric and Peat ride single piviots and dominate.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by gmac
Steve Peat is damn good. And that Orange bike seems to perform so well. (I heard it goes down to 35#s when he races it.)

I wonder if the 35lb weight rumor is accurate ? Anyone know how they do it ? What parts he swaps to.

There's many different kinds of single pivots, and many different ways to make them work. The orange is just one of them, but it's main problem is chain-extention and feedback. Other lower-pivot single pivot bikes don't have this problem, but nearly all of them need some kind of pedaling-platform type of shock, whether it be a romic or a 5th, to be most effective.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by Softy
SP can ride BTTW. You have to use the brake to get jack.
HE very very rarely uses the brakes, he usually flows everything.

He also pedals in places where no one else does, and get in an extra stroke here or there.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
i thought sp's 223 was quoted at 36lb last year , he's running rf stuff now , heavier im guessing.

anyway sebs old 222 could have been 32-33lb with stock parts and not much trying.

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
i remember them talking about the weight thing before, I think it was the Kaprun World Champs (2002?). Andy Kyffin was removing all the unnnessecary weight from the bike, this inbluded the grease on all bearings which he replaced after every 1 or 2 runs. Maybe it was only the wheel bearings.

brock*

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
wasn't removing grease to save weight

apparently adny uses a light oil instead of grease in the hubs for racing so the wheels spin freer

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
thats the one, my bad. I remembered them taking the grease out but I thought it was for weight! would of been a bit extreme.

I know he drills out his mrp, uses a road saddle and his frames are made of a thinner amount of metal on the tubing to help keep weight low.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Wouldn't be difficult to get it to 35 as any joe can build one up around 36. Mine is and it doesn't have all the lightest parts on it (though mostly :thumb:)

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
Originally posted by Matt D
Not that the bike is bad by any means, but it's not the bike that performs well. SP makes the bike perform well.
absolutely. which i guess is why all us lesser riders need (want?) more technology to go faster.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Didn't that guy SebUK get his down to around 36lbs? It wasn't easy, and there were a lot of compramises that most of us would never consider (unless we had plenty of $$$ to replace it all when it breaks). It was pretty crazy, it'd be cool if his parts spec was readily available somewhere.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Jm_
Didn't that guy SebUK get his down to around 36lbs? It wasn't easy, and there were a lot of compramises that most of us would never consider (unless we had plenty of $$$ to replace it all when it breaks). It was pretty crazy, it'd be cool if his parts spec was readily available somewhere.
he had a web page with it up awhile ago, all individually weighed and itemized. Peaty's worlds bike was sub 35 lbs, but spared nothing.

It included greaseless hubs (weight and spin), bladed spokes, and 5mm cut off the BB shell (73 to 68) to improve chainline and weight.

The frame he is on is also made out of a different aluminum then production frames, to further reduce weight. think pepsi can.