Quantcast

Pedal bob on 36 Van RC2

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
I have just purchased a Rune frame, and swapped all the parts from my old heckler over to it, including my 09 RS Revelation Dual Air's (140mm). I had always planned to get a new fork for the new frame, and after riding the Rune with the Revelations on the front, I definately feel this bike would perform better with a 160mm fork like a Lyrik or Fox 36. I was hopeing to buy a new 2011 Fox 36 float RLC, as I like using the poploc on my revelations on long climbs and the fox also has a lockout, but with a baby on the way my finances are drying up and the 2011 forks are out of my reach.

Finally to the question-

I have been offered a brand new set of older Fox Van RC2's for a price within my budget, and just wanted to know from people with experience if the LSC on the 36 Van RC2 was able to tune out pedal bob when required i.e. before a long fireroad climb or xc race.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Forks don't have pedal induced bob. They will move up and down when you stand and more so when you sprint. If your fork bobs on a seated climb you are bobbing your body. My buddy does this and I tell him he needs to keep his upper body still. Use it as a "coach".

But I had a 36 Float a few years back with I think the same damper. You can tune the LSC to filter out some of that unwanted motion.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
Forks don't have pedal induced bob. They will move up and down when you stand and more so when you sprint. If your fork bobs on a seated climb you are bobbing your body. My buddy does this and I tell him he needs to keep his upper body still. Use it as a "coach".

But I had a 36 Float a few years back with I think the same damper. You can tune the LSC to filter out some of that unwanted motion.
Yeah, I probably used the wrong terminology there (although I never said "induced"), but you get what i'm saying. I am smooth whilst seated, but some of the fireroads where I live are pretty steep, and require periods of out of the saddle climbing.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
I just bought the 36's, so hopefully once my back is better I'll get to find out. I couldn't find any secondhand lyrics in Oz.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
My 36 only bobs when mashing the pedals, try increasing the compression to see if it gets better; also a stiffer spring might help.