Quantcast

Pedal Choice

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
I recently got a new road bike, and can't decide on the pedals I want for it. I've in the past always had Look's, so that is all I have experience with.

That being said, I am looking at either Look Keo carbons, Time carbons, or Speedplay X/1's.

I'm looking for something that will be good for training and tri/road racing. I'm thinking either the speedplays or the times, but I have very small feet (6.5) and am worried about the size of the cleat.

Any suggestions/experiences?

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Do you have a reason you want to get away from Looks? I personally have been riding Looks for 20 years and have no plans on chaning any time soon.
My last pair of Looks was a few years ago, and I had some trouble dialing in the cleats. I'm slightly toe down, so I like my cleats forward, but with my small feet it made it uncomfortable with the look cleats that far forward.

My SPD's on my trail bike work quite well with my foot, so that is why I was looking at the Time's, as I think they have smaller cleats.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
well, I love my ultegras... work great for cycling, but hands down, the best cleat to walk in.

If you like SPDs, why not use them on your road bike? Just make sure your shoes have a super strong sole, like a Sidi.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I have Speedplay Zero pedals and they're great. I had the X-1's before and I liked them, but they took some getting used to and they always felt kind of unstable when standing to climb or sprint. The Zero cleat system is definitely much more refined. The Speedplays have such a low profile that they let you pedal through sharp corners more safely. They're super-easy to get into and out of, and I've never pulled out of one by mistake. I don't mind Looks; I rode them for years, but only because I couldn't afford new Speedplays.