Quantcast

Pedal choices??

Discussion in 'Cross Country, All Mountain & Trail Riding' started by Muuqi, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Muuqi

Muuqi Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I'm looking into some new pedals for my bikes after riding SPDs for years and I can't decided between the Time Atac's, the Crank Bros egg beaters, or the Crank Bros candy. Anyone have lots of riding time on any of them? I'm sorta leanding towards the cranks bros side. They will be going on my XC bike and my SS.

#1 -   Dec 5, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MtnbikeMike

MtnbikeMike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Eggbeaters

#2 -   Dec 5, 2005
  3. douglas

douglas Chocolate Milk Doug

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    candy.

the best pedal I ever used, and the only pedal I will use on a xc bike

#3 -   Dec 5, 2005
  4. robdamanii

robdamanii OMG! <3 Tom Brady!

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I'm thinking I'll switch to these next season. They still have enough float to compensate for weird knee angles?

#4 -   Dec 5, 2005
  5. Wumpus

Wumpus makes avatars better

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 153
    I switched from spds to Times last year. Really can't tell any difference.

#5 -   Dec 5, 2005
  6. macko

macko Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I just switched over from SPDs to Crank Bros. a couple of months ago and an thrilled. Don't think I'll ever go back to SPDs...

#6 -   Dec 5, 2005
  7. reflux

reflux Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 2
    :stupid: I loved SPD's, then I tried and hated Times, then switched to EB's and have loved them ever since. What does this mean to you? Jack-siht. Good luck!

#7 -   Dec 5, 2005
  8. JRogers

JRogers talks too much

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    I definitely agree. I have tried other pedals but won't give up Shimano. They are on all my bikes right now- 747s, 959s and 647s.

Time or CB are both great options. Try them if you can. I haven't had enough time on Crank Bros but I really do not like Times.

#8 -   Dec 6, 2005
  9. DaveW

DaveW Space Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    99 / 440
    Well I had times and loved them....never ever clogged up on me, and now on my new bike I have eggbeaters.

The eggbeaters are brilliant, but I feel the candys are slightly better if you occasionaly clip out and still want something there to stand on.

#9 -   Dec 7, 2005
  10. HarryCallahan

HarryCallahan Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I got the Times because of their design and mud clearing ability. I've been on rides where I was the only guy clipping in while everyone else was whacking their feet on the pedals, trying to clear their cleats.

I do know a lot of folks locally that like eggbeaters. The only knock I've heard on them is that they are prone to unclipping unexpectedly if you hit the pedal on something along the trail, like a log or rock.

11. riverside73

riverside73 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Stack on another vote for for Crank Bros. I have been on the Candy for over a year and love them.

In fact I have gone to the trouble of talking the folks at 24 Hr Fitness into letting me put my Candies on their spin bikes when I go to a spin class so i don't have to be stuck with SPDs!!

12. DaveW

DaveW Space Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    99 / 440

Yeah that's cos the bit you clip into is so exposed.... The candys have the same mechanisim but its sheilded by a small cage. :cool:

13. quickneonrt

quickneonrt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I have ridden the Time atac carbons for quite awhile but recently switched over to a set of CB candy sl's and i love them. From wht I rember the candies are lighter then the time's if that is something you take into account.

14. -dustin

-dustin boring

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0

15. oldfart

oldfart Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 11
    I would go Time over the Eggbeater because they have bearings as oposed to a bushing on one side of the EB's. I prefer the feel of SPD though. I did not like the Time release angle or the way it clicked in. EB's would feel the same I believe.

16. Carbon Fetish

Carbon Fetish Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Ah... The black egg beater c aka "the bastard." I think I put that exact pedal together.

17. Duzitall

Duzitall Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I like my eggs with a mallet

18. doAZido

doAZido Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    ditto on the EB mallet, I have the mallet m pedals on my xc bike, clip in and out like butter, plus I can ride unclipped on tech stuff, I find myself riding unclipped more often then not, so they are perfect for an old man like me

19. bicycleman

bicycleman Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    go with the 50X50X they are T3h bombzor like they rockzor
    lol:blah:

20. DHmtber

DHmtber Guest

Rep/Likes:
    0 / N/A
    hey if you arn't big into weight and you want more of a all around pedal look at the quickstep from atomlab, lookes like a great idea and design and is comptley rebuildable

21. Reactor

Reactor Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1

I beleive they have either 15 degrees or 20 degrees of float depending on which foot you install the dotted cleat on. Basically if you can still walk, they'll probably work. My left leg is angulated 6degrees in and 4 degrees down for a motorcycle accident in 1983, and they work great for me. I love how easy they are to get out of.

I have eggbeaters on my Epic and switchblade, I found the candies tended to lose the endcaps after crashes. I have Candies on my Roubaix, and my wife's OCR-c2. IMHO the candies are great road pedals, especially if you get the shimano touring shoe.

22. novarider

novarider Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    often imitated... never duplicated... SPDs, baby...

23. robdamanii

robdamanii OMG! <3 Tom Brady!

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    SPDs?

I'm starting to hate mine for trail use. Mud jams them up, they don't release too well.... For road use, sure. But damnit, I want something that clips easy and releases easy.

24. novarider

novarider Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i've never had a problem with my SPD 540s in the mud, not once ever. of course i mostly ride CC with some real light trail riding, i seldom have to click out more than once a ride.

25. DaveW

DaveW Space Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    99 / 440

You need to find more technical trails to push yourself then. :rolleyes: :p :D

26. Duzitall

Duzitall Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I agree and I also stopped using SPD's because they didn't work well in the mud.

27. rockracing

rockracing Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    for those thay have egg beaters - I have borroed a pir and have yet to test them fully but one thing I have noticed (in comparison to SPD's) is that there is no resistance when clipping out - yur foot just seems to move aout as you turn your heal - no "click"

do you find you unclip unecpectedly - also do most use the 15 degree or 20 degree cleat set up

thanks.

28. druber

druber Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    OK...I'll put in my $0.02.

I had SPDs. I switched to Eggbeaters. At first, I really liked them. They seemed like they had a lot less 'wiggle' than the SPDs. I felt more connected to the bike and more efficient since my cleat didn't feel like it was moving around in the pedal.

The problem I have had with the Eggbeaters is that, IMHO, the pedal sucks after the cleat gets a little worn. After the cleats get worn, I come out of the pedals really, really easily. I'll be riding up some rocky, ledgey section and my foot will just fly out of the pedal. This doesn't happen with new cleats for me.

BTW...when I say 'worn', I'm not talking 6 months/1000 miles old. This starts after about 1 month/200 miles from getting new cleats. Doesn't seem like I should have to replace them that frequently.

In any case, I like the EBs better than SPDs, but I am not in love with them like a lot of other folks.

I'd like to try Times next.

eric

29. irishMonkey

irishMonkey Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    PMed you

30. irishMonkey

irishMonkey Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Im selling some time atac pedals

31. Duzitall

Duzitall Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    nope. they stay clipped just dandy

32. Reactor

Reactor Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1

I usually use the 20 degree, and I love the total lack of resistance when clipping out. I liked my shimano 545's but I have a knee with osteoarthritis and clipping out was killing me, and inflaming my knee. Eggbeaters, no problem. I don't think anything is wrong with shimano's, it's just eggbeaters work better for me.

I've only clipped out unexpectedly once, and that was when I blew a landing and landed with the crank arm down, hit a rock hard with my pedal and was popped out.

As for mud, I was in the tour of the white mountains mudfest, mud so bad people were breaking off derailleur hangers, never once failed to clip in or out.