Quantcast

Pedal Driven - A Bike-umentary

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
http://pedaldriven.howellatthemoon.com/

I am stunned to find that I am the first to post something about this project. I don't know these guys, but this documentary looks pretty cool with only a subtle scent of hippies.

I recognize a few of the trails in the trailer, I am sure you will too. No happy puppies, but there is some very prize terrain shown.

Here is what they have to say about the film:

In the pristine forests above Leavenworth, Washington, there exists a world of hidden trailheads and clandestine trails. Here a sect of outdoor enthusiasts, extreme mountain bikers called freeriders, have gone underground. They are the skate punks of the forest, unwelcome and under pressure to leave. The locations of their trails are carefully guarded secrets and the riders who ride them keep constant vigil, on the lookout for US Forest Service rangers.

But they won?t leave. Each time one of their trails or jumps is destroyed they sneak back in and rebuild, believing that they have a right to ride through these landscapes. And now, in an effort to combat the problem, local district rangers have been given heightened authority to put any freeriders caught on undesignated trails directly into jail.

Ironically, it can be argued that both sides are fighting for the same thing ? the rights of Americans to play in the woods. The freeriders want the freedom to ride through the natural sanctuaries that are our public forestlands. The U.S. Forest Service is acting to fulfill its legal obligation to administer those same lands, ?for the use and enjoyment of the American people.?

The documentary PEDAL-DRIVEN will take you behind both sides of this confrontation ? riding with the freeriders and chasing them down with the rangers