Quantcast

Pedal friendly IXS knee pads?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm always on the lookout for new knee pads that stay up and are pedal friendly.

I currently have a set of IXS Carve Race knee pads for the bike park and they're pretty good. I think they may be my favourite knee pads to date but I wouldn't want to pedal around with them too much though. Does anyone here use IXS knee pads that are pedal friendly and stay up without having to re-adjust?? What model?

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
IXS Flow Evo, been tearing those things apart for 6 years... 90% of biking buddies have the same.
Need to order new ones. Rear mesh is torn, silicone straps are falling off... and still rode for 4 hours today with them not moving, or bothering me.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I tried a couple pairs of iXS and found they chafed. For really pedal friendly, I have to go with "sleeve" style pads. Blister did a recent roundup of pads, worth looking at.

My current favorites are Fox Launch Elite (for spicy enduro riding) and Rapha Trail (for milder / trail riding).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Obviously not IXS, but I picked up some Raceface ambush knee pads this summer and they've been great. Lots of padding, so they aren't the most slim things out there - that could be a plus or negative I guess.

Comfortable and it's great being able to take them off or put them on without having to worry about shoes.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have the IXS Flow. Pretty minimasitic, but does have a flexible cup like thing for the knee. Can't really say I crashed on them, like a full on proper crash. But they are comfy and I have spent a few long days rides in Sedona, AZ in them. Sweated my ass off.

Only bad thing was the black dye in the fabric leaked on my knees. And when I tried to clean them, there was more black from the pads than dirt from the ride.

But they stayed in place and I never got mad at them. So there's that.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Nothing to add except to second that the IXS Carve Race pads are so ludicrously comfortable that I’ll either wear those or none at all.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Not IXS...but the Rapha ones stay put and are great for a long pedal ride. Sometimes I'll also pull out the insert and just wear them as a durable knee warmer.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Let us know.

I've been in the market for new pads, for four years...
One short ride on them (hour long): They're good.

I think the big difference between these and the Poc Oseus they're replacing is the top cuff is taller on the Chromag pads and the material stretches more. So as you pedal and your knee bends, the material stretches more and the top cuff stays in place. Whereas on the Poc pads, the material is stiffer and doesn't stretch as well so the top cuff naturally gets pulled down slightly. The Poc were good and I think they cover more of the knee like the sides, but overall I think Chromag did a good job with these. I'm normally a large in knee pads but lately I've been going medium to make sure they stay put (and no doubt they'll break in a stretch a little).