Quantcast

Pedal Grinds

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Sometime soon, I am going to learn to pedal grind. Any advice? Does it damage your chainstays? Also, should I buy those smooth plastic grind plates, or special pedals for grinding, or just use my current ones (regular platforms)? Any photos would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Here is the only real advice that I think will help. Put your pedal that your grinding on all the way down, hold the brakes and just go. It can scratch up your chainstays if you dont hold the brakes, or dont put your pedal as far down as it goes. Depending on the pedal a grind plate might help. I have a home made lexan plate but it grinds down really fast, Something in stainless would hold up a lot better.

Just find a lowish size ledge to practice on.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by schaefdog
Here is the only real advice that I think will help. Put your pedal that your grinding on all the way down, hold the brakes and just go. It can scratch up your chainstays if you dont hold the brakes, or dont put your pedal as far down as it goes. Depending on the pedal a grind plate might help. I have a home made lexan plate but it grinds down really fast, Something in stainless would hold up a lot better.

Just find a lowish size ledge to practice on.

"....hold the brake and go"? do you mean once up on the ledge? and what does that do exactly? i'm going to attempt them for the first time tomorrow, so clarify that for me, please. thanks

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Once you touch the ledge with the pedal (maybe even in the air) grab the brakes, It will keep the wheel from rotating and keep your pedal on the ledge. It doesnt let your cranks spin basically, so you dont bash your sprocket.

Definately make sure your pedal is in the downward most position.