Quantcast

Pedal Questions

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Hey, I'm looking for some new pedals. I currently ride flats most of the time but I also run clippies sometimes too. Since I'm lazy and don't want to change my pedals when I want to clip in; I was thinking of getting some of those fancy combo pedals (ie like the Mallets). So what are the best ones to get (in the $150 range) that I can use my street shoes with without getting a sore foot fron the SPD part of the pedal (if that makes sense)? I was looking at the Mallets, Sinz have a couple too, also the Atomlab ones and of course Shimano. Anything else? Oh yea, they need to take an SPD cleat.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
crank bros, times. Really, any clipless pedal you get, the cage will sit higher than the rest of the platform resulting in a hot spot in the bottom of your foot, and a loss of traction. If you're wanting flats, ride flats, when you want to be clipped in, swap your pedals. that's about the only way. Honestly it takes less than two minutes to swap pedals, it's not that big of a deal.

So, in other words, there's no good compromise. The platform clipless pedals are ment for extra support when you dont' have time to clip back in right away, not ment for riding as flats.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i've been riding Shimano platforms since they were red. They came up with the idea first and i still run them since you can change the tension.

The other platforms seem to be a flavor of the year, but for the most part if i'm riding over a log, or riding a skinny or whatever, i'd like to have the flinch reflex get me unclipped in an instant. Other platforms i've observed others ride take a bit more work.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I think the mallets are probably the best for riding on when not clipped in, but they still suck for riding on not clipped in.
There is no way around it. If you plan on doing anything other than riding to the corner grocery they will be uncomfortable at best, dangerous at worst.

Jun 18, 2004
I ride mallets on my commuter... sometimes use them for trail riding... really they're egg beaters with a cage around them

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
If any one knows of any of the Shimano's in red (636's) sitting as old stock in a store somewhere please let me know. I would even consider a finders fee?
Dude I found some red shimanos in Jacks Cycles here in bellingham. Not sure if they are the 636's but it might be worth given em a call at 360-733-1955. If they are the right ones I can pick them up for you and send them to you for what they cost plus shipping. PM me with what you find out.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
They said they have some of the Wellgo's in red but no 636's.
Thanks anyways!
Dude I found some red shimanos in Jacks Cycles here in bellingham. Not sure if they are the 636's but it might be worth given em a call at 360-733-1955. If they are the right ones I can pick them up for you and send them to you for what they cost plus shipping. PM me with what you find out.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
just get clips if you want to be clipped in. like iridebikes said it takes less than 2 minutes to swap pedals. you'll get good at it fast.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
check out the shimano M-324s they have an spd clip on one side and a flat on the other. $75 retail, decent bearings but not light.
nor do they provide good grip on the "platform" side of things.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I think mine are the 636's. I agree--even though they are nice platforms, they are not good for riding flats on. You are much better off just swapping pedals when you want flats. You probably won't want flats though after riding on them.

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
I have a pair of Time Z pedals. They're not good for riding unclipped but I use worn out cleats so it is super easy to clip out for me. That is the best compromise I've found.

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
Scott:
do yourself a big favor, like I did a few yrs ago - UNCOMPLICATE YOUR LIFE & USE FLATS ALL THE TIME. i been MTB'ing starting around '85 when I got a Ross Mt Whitney w/ bear trap platform pedals. since then i gone thru lots of pedal/shoe combos including 4 different Shimano SPD models. in '91, bought me the 1st SPDs (747s?) which still are in good working condition, however, Shimano 545s adjusted very loose are my faves if I were to digress back to shoes w/cleats & SPDs. although, like Skookum said, if u can still find 'em(E-bay?) those red 636s or 637s (platform/SPD version?) are definitely a really great heavy duty pedal.
anyway, all 3 of my non-road bikes have flats, Wellgo B-37 being the BEST, I believe. whatever you do, I won't hold nothin against you. "To each his own" - just ride comfortably & confidently...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RIDE ON!