Quantcast

Pedal suggestions

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
I have some Woodman pedals on my Toy4 and the pins are sharp as $hit!
These are not the SPIKEY pins they are flat on top but they have really done a number on my calves a couple of times
So I am looking for some pedal recommendations
If I can I would like to stay in the $70 range if possible
Thanks

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
My friend, I would love to show you my shins. From years of riding they are like a Pollack painting (he did splatter paintings), my shins have all these lighter and darker areas where my pedals have ripped into my shins. The best I can tell ya is to get a pair of shin guards. Kind of a pain, but they will save you a lot of pain.

You also mentioned you were getting hit on the calf. Is your pedal rolling out from under your foot or are you just hitting that area some how. Typically you get hit on the front, but I used to run Crupi's back in the day, they were like razor blades and the slightest slip would end up with ghastly lacerations (some of you older racers know what I'm talking about).

I actually don't wear shin guards right now, I just wear jeans when I ride. Again, its kinda warm in the 80+ degree heat, but I'll take that over the bloody shins. I also run Odyssey trailmix pedals which really work great. You can run shorter pins as well to get less tearing if you like.

Just my .02 cents

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
get used to shiners. i've had good luck with wellgo mg52's. sealed magnesium for 50 bucks. i actually want to try the knurl free ody trailmixes. dirt gets stuck on the bodies of my current pedals. those will be my next pedal.

are the trailmix pedal axles broached for a 6mm allen?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
odyssey plastic pedals. they are the best and they cost 12 bucks. try em.
problem here is that for a lot of people you'd be replacing pedals on a monthly basis.

I'm currently rocking Animal Hamiltons and love them. Light and super grippy. Oh and available as sealed (around $60) and unsealed (around $40) in a very wide selection of colors.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ummm, they have worked fine for me for years. If weight is an issue get the Mags. I guess if your not riding parks or street there might be lighter choices but the Cielinski's hold up really well for all applications. I personally wouldn't use anything else (I consider the Trailmix a version of the C's)

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Odyssey Trail Mix pedal is a lot like the cielinski, but a little lighter, and has taller pins.
If you are raking your calves with an already grippy pedal, there's not much you can do. Maybe look into some grippier shoes, or get some protection.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Odyssey Trail Mix pedal is a lot like the cielinski, but a little lighter, and has taller pins.
I believe they both come with extra pins. (both short and long) I could be wrong, but the cielencki's definitely come with plenty of extra pins. Been running the same cielencki's since 06 without any problems.

They're a little heavy compared to a lot of newer pedals, and if you get them wet they suck.
Mine are fine when wet, I run the tall pins though. Even with the short ones, they still seemed pretty grippy when wet.

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
I am currently rockin the Roach FR shin gaurds having moved away from the
lizard skins so I could protect my knees as well.
I might try to go cheap and replace the pins with allens
If I cant find the right size then I will spring for some cielinski's
peace

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
problem here is that for a lot of people you'd be replacing pedals on a monthly basis.

I'm currently rocking Animal Hamiltons and love them. Light and super grippy. Oh and available as sealed (around $60) and unsealed (around $40) in a very wide selection of colors.
well, they are only 10 bucks, its ok to replace them monthly (presuming you do alot of pedal grinds)

to me, i ride without shinguards alot, and few days ago i slipped a pedal, which 4 years ago left me with 10 stitches - however with plastic pedals i just had a little scrape.
plastics are cheap, grippy and grind/slide like the nipples :lighten: :)

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
does everyone prefer sealed or unsealed
I only ride street and park with his bike, no off road stuff
I guess the question is "are the sealed pedals worth the extra money"

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I've never bought anything else other then sealed. I would rather ride then work on my bike, and that helps. Plus I hate the looseball rattle that bikes develop over time when they don't have sealed pedals.