Quantcast

Pedaling in abandoned spaces

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I went to csumb for a year back in 2004. It's quite a bit different now. But back then it was all open to be explored. Now it's mostly fenced and torn down. But I'm sure there is still stuff to see. Fort Ord military base had a million people at it, it was closed down in 1994 and a college opened in like 1998 or something. There was miles of abandoned houses, apartments, warehouses, barracks and other things. I had so much fun off roading, exploring, trail running and mountain biking. There was lots of trails as well where I'd come across pill boxs and little sheds. An FBI training base called the forbidden city.

So we'd smash shit up and drink beer in the houses and ware houses. Play airsoft in whole neighborhoods and in three story barracks. It was so rad. One day we got a piece of rope and where dragging fridges and ovens and couches around behind my car, we whip them out around a corner and smash em into a light pole then we ended up with a pile.
An oven hitting a fridge at 30mph is awesome. That was the best year of my life. If your in Monterey c.a, check out fort ord.

I went to csumb for a year back in 2004. It's quite a bit different now. But back then it was all open to be explored. Now it's mostly fenced and torn down. But I'm sure there is still stuff to see. Fort Ord military base had a million people at it, it was closed down in 1994 and a college opened in like 1998 or something. There was miles of abandoned houses, apartments, warehouses, barracks and other things. I had so much fun off roading, exploring, trail running and mountain biking. There was lots of trails as well where I'd come across pill boxs and little sheds. An FBI training base called the forbidden city.

So we'd smash shit up and drink beer in the houses and ware houses. Play airsoft in whole neighborhoods and in three story barracks. It was so rad. One day we got a piece of rope and where dragging fridges and ovens and couches around behind my car, we whip them out around a corner and smash em into a light pole then we ended up with a pile.
An oven hitting a fridge at 30mph is awesome. That was the best year of my life. If your in Monterey c.a, check out fort ord.
Red Fang would be proud of you!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Jim Thorpe PA has Mines and abandoned mines and mysterious abandoned Pig Iron furnaces and various other abandoned Industrial Infrastructure. Including a Incline and a abandoned train with cars and all. The riding is typical Eastern PA stuff.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Stuart Airport trails in NY has an abandoned warehouse you can ride thru. Also some nice quarry equipment in the power lines sector in North Conway.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
detroit's got your name all over it :D
[coolstorybro] In the early 80's I raced the ABA championships in the Silverdome. [/yea that]

Traverse City, MI: Hospital trails. No idea if they're still there, but jumpy flowy trails built on the site of an old mental health facility.

TONS of trails out here that cover old mining claims, with abandoned mines, equipment, etc.

Pack the 'stache-wagon and drive out next Summer, JBP.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
In Mckeesport PA they have trails across the river were you can ride on a bluff above the Irwin Steel plant and a Nuclear laboratory. Almost everywhere you go is abandoned houses, churches, and schools. Real weird there. Fun trails there too...

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
So down here in San Diego, we have carizzo gorge. It's all along this train track. It was called the impossible railroad and has some awesome views. There's also 17 bridges and 12 tunnels. Two tunnels require lights and are quite long. One bridge is quite famous, the "goat canyon trestle" is the longest and highest curved wooden trestle in the world and the biggest in the northern hemisphere. It's pretty cool to piss off it. There's also quite a few bong sheds, I mean train cars to check out as well as camps and an abandoned tunnel.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
John Wayne trail out in Washington state if you're looking for a road trip. Railroad trestles and a few tunnels. One tunnel at the top of Snoqualmie pass is about 2mi long, and pitch back due to a slight kink at the far end. It's a converted railroad grade with camping along it. I'll try to dig up some of my pics.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
How long is that abandoned rail line ride?
110 miles says WTA, but I think it varies... Supposedly you can ride from North Bend to Spokane on it, but I think most stop at Ellensburg. A buddy and I went from Snoqualie to Easton once and it was fun.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
110 miles says WTA, but I think it varies... Supposedly you can ride from North Bend to Spokane on it, but I think most stop at Ellensburg. A buddy and I went from Snoqualie to Easton once and it was fun.
The JWPT is a cool trail. It runs across most of the state. The portion from Ellensburg down to the Columbia is almost entirely on an active army training facility. Hopefully the Eastern portion continues to get attention and is developed.

http://friendsofjohnwaynepioneertrail.org/google-map-of-jwpt.html

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When I was a teenager we used to play paintball in a couple of abandoned packing sheds and an old slaughter house. Most of those places would have made awesome indoor riding areas. Lots of ramps and other weird floor surfaces for FSM only knows what. Most of them were also terribly unsafe places to be. Especially the slaughter house. Drains and pits everywhere.