Quantcast

Pedals for Progress

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
This is an email I got from my dad. This is being conducted by his wifes alumni association
Pedals for Progress
Sunday, June 6, 10:00AM 2:00 PM
Springfield, VA

This nonprofit organization solicits donations of used bicycles from the American public, and donates thousands of bikes to selected community development programs overseas. These bicycles, which have little value here, have tremendous utility in developing countries, providing access to work and school for those in need of affordable transport, delivering health and educational services, and providing work for bike mechanics who recondition these bikes. We need a team of 10 people who will help load shipments of 400-500 bicycles, plus spare parts, at their Springfield VA shipping site. Tasks include walking/rolling bikes from storage trailers across loading dock into shipping container, taking inventory (number of bikes, number of "pieces"/boxes of parts), packing bikes into position, and (possibly) compacting un-processed bikes (removing pedals, turning handlebars, etc.) and packing parts. Must be willing to get clothes and hands a little dirty. Springfield location is NOT Metro accessible.

If you would like to sign up, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE, but contact team leader Keith Oberg at koberg@bellatlantic.net with JHU/P4P in the subject line. More info about Pedals for Progress is available at www.p4p.org

Pedals for Progress also welcome donations of bicycles from JHU alumni in the Baltimore-Washington area. Contact Keith Oberg.

ZAW

Chimp
Feb 8, 2004
Fairfx
yea i volenteered for them one time loading bikes and such, they seem like a really great organization as well as being bike related yay.