Quantcast

peeing pure blood (long)

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
For those of you who are attention span challenged; read the bold parts.

I need some advice from you all.

Three of my last four bad crashes have resulted in serious abdominal trauma (busted up internal organs). Twice I have managed to severely lacerate my liver and most recently I managed to lacerate and bruise my right kidney. The liver shots weren’t too bad, but the kidney damage was terrifying. I was peeing pure blood and blood clots by the quart. Not a little pink in my pee, I am talking about loads and loads of stinging, thick, chunky blood shooting out of my dick.

Today I am slowly on the road to recovery and already planning my return to digging and jumping, but I need some help. There are two points on which I would like you all on chime in on.

Point one – I have noticed that some people develop a “typical crash” over time. I have one buddy who freezes like a statue and then collapses like a pile of straw. Another buddy tends to perform the long drawn out slow motion train wreck type of crash. I have my own type of crash as well. Although it doesn’t occur that often, when it does I am in the hurt locker for a long time: I elbow or punch myself in the gut. Yup, that’s right. Worse than a glass stomach.

When I bail, I wrap my arms tightly around my body as I am going down to avoid flailing, bashing, wrenching or breaking them during the crash. If I smoothly tuck and roll, all is good. If I land hard without rolling, I wind up driving my elbows and fists into my gut. The end result is me in the hospital with an IV tube in my arm.

Am I crashing “wrong”? How should I crash?

Point two – In terms of protection I only wear gloves and a helmet when jumping. The idea here being that if I padded up every place that I could possibly injure I’d look like a cross between a pro football player and the Michelin man.

Having had three days in the hospital with an IV in my arm and a tube in my dick to think about my crashing habits, I decided that some gut protection was in order. I figured anything that would disperse the impact over a wider area of my belly would do the trick. A little intarweb research showed that most protection manufacturers (bike & MX) don’t make anything that covers the lower stomach area. Kidney belts cover the lower back & chest protectors cover –duh- the chest.

The only thing I did find was boxing / martial arts type belly protectors. Anyone have any comments on these or other protectors?

A couple of further comments –

I am not the youngest anymore, but also a long way from being the oldest DJ-er on the block. I will be 36 in May. A lot of folks offer the well intentioned, but offensive advice, “don’t you think you should hang up the bike? You are getting a little old for this.” Fuck that!

Some other folks may advise building up core strength. What in particular? I do my crunches everyday and hit the dumbbells three times a week. I may be a little thick around the middle, but I am pretty solid. Any suggestions?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Damn, hope you get better and quick. My only suggestion is to wear elbow pads since you seem to jab yourself with them eat it. That way you don't get a sharp edge into your gut but a wide and blunt impact. Maybe even take a martial art or gymnastics so you will learn how to fall correctly and roll.

Sean

Chimp
May 16, 2006
I will be 36 in May.
I'll be 36 in October...

It sound like we have the same riding style... I'm missing my sleen, 2 inches of my Ulna and have had a compound fracture or two. Those go along with the rest of broken bones and stitches... Waking up with a catheter is awesome! :disgust: Haven't had one put in awake yet... knock on wood.

At age 35 I decided to slow down and keep riding as apposed to keep pushing it and not be able too...

Not that you should slow down... I'd never tell anyone how to ride. This is just a view point from someone your age that's not ready to buy a bass boat and go fishing yet... or buy golf clubs...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
honestly. go to a grassy field, and practice crashing. go for the "tuck and roll" method.

building up your core muscles certainly wouldn't hurt.

Sucks to hear you're so down and out. Cheer up mate! Get a few new vidz to watch while you recoup. I just got Electronical, its the jam.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
thanks for the comments so far.

Sean, I actually had a catheter put-in, removed and replaced by another within 2 hours. I was conscious the whole time. Awful. Awful.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
This could be your calling to tone it down and stop destroying yourself. *shrug* peeing blood.... *shiver*

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
damnit. i was hoping you were going to tell me the magical incantation to become a super hard ass.
Man, crashing is just crazy. Everyone has their own steez. When i'm on a bigger jump, i can usualy tell if things are gonna go bad by the time i reach the half way point in the gap. If i get that bad feeling half way, i push down on my bike, and it safely disapears in the middle while i do some kind of baseball slide down the landing.
Now that is the best case senerio, and it is how i go down 9 out of 10 times.
But, that 1 out of ten is usualy pure crazyness, and luck, mixed with some skill is how i end up not completely destroyed.
Everyone that rides hard on the DJ's is gonna get fvcked up eventualy. It's just part of the life.
I had surgery on my face a year and a half ago, from taking the bars to the face on a 360 gone bad.
Sometimes nohanders go bad, and that is always a fun ride to the ground.
Backflip crashys are always nuts.

No hander gone bad

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Oh yeah, and tucking your arms into your body just sounds like a busted spleen waiting to happen.
It is all about being as loose as fycking possible when you crash. Kind of like crashing on a big wave while surfing. You can't fight that $hit, you just have to go with the flow.

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
Well, considering I'm 40, and by now I should have written a book on the proper way to crash (my lack of riding skill has given me plenty of experience) I got nothing for ya! Just make sure to give yourself time to heal before you go out and take another soil sample.

Buzam

Chimp
Jan 29, 2007
I wonder if maybe wearing elbow pads would give you the added confidence subconsiously to not worry about injuring your upper limbs and concintrate on rolling properly. When I crash with elbow pads on I extend my arms and use them to sheild me; when I crash without elbow pads I tuck and turn and land on my left shoulder (usually) resulting in a few separated shoulders... Its not like I have time to think about it, but my subconsious knows I can use my forearms to protect me and up my arms go. Something to think about.

S

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
thanks for the comments so far.

Sean, I actually had a catheter put-in, removed and replaced by another within 2 hours. I was conscious the whole time. Awful. Awful.
I had the same experience. Pulling it out is the absolute worst.

But yeah, as a 39 year old I feel your pain. I never did go all that big, but the falls I've had really set me back. You just don't heal quickly.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
once again, thanks for the suggestions.

Dank, you're a class act!

FWIW, here is the scenario that landed me in the hurt locker. A buddy of mine and I have a really fast (think downhill) rhythm section - itsa 10 pack that continues to grow. In addition to building this line my buddy and I have also ridden it hundreds of times so, we're both pretty comfy on it.

We had just rebuilt the second double, which is a right-hand hip, and were testing things out. The second dub was way faster after the rework and on the first run I overshot the third double all the way to the bottom of the landing. On the next run through I over corrected and set my front wheel down way too early on the third dub -backside of the landing too early. Sometimes, I can actually save myself from this mistake with a sort sort of snatch and throw of the bike, but this line was too fast. Before I knew it I was whipped over the bars and slammed to the ground.

After catching my breath and chilling for a half hour I noticed something was wrong (see first post) and told my buddy that I needed a ride to the ER.

Sorry, about all the text, but typing is one of the few things I can do at the moment...

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I have a bad habit of trying to stay on my bike till the last momment. Sometimes its works and I ride away all sketch, or sometimes I eat it hard.

What a typical crash looks like is I fall to the side and land on my elbow, this sucks if I just all I have on is a shirt. Also scrape up my side.
I cliped the landing of a jump a few weeks ago and landed on my face, so now I am starting to wear a full face helmet when going to bigger stuff or something i am uncomfortable on.

I hope you heal up soon.

organizedrage

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Dublin, CA
i was just getting comfy with throwing my bike and it really helps alot. trust me its cheaper to fix the bike rather than yourself. i just had a bad crash and broke my hand and the doctors costs have reached almost $4000 so far, but had i not thrown the bike it would have been much worse and the key is to be loose ant ready for the way that you are falling. thats my advice, but it did give me pins in my hand but my crash just went to fast and to chunky cement. hope it helps. cant wait to ride again though. i just dont care to revisit that spot/trick again.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
You can't fight that $hit, you just have to go with the flow.
That's good advice right there. I like to use my hands/arms/bike to absorb most of the impact, and then just roll with it. And bailing is definitely the most important trick to learn. One thing that I've noticed over the years of riding with tons of riders is that the best riders are usually the best crashers. In fact, a lot of them don't crash, they just bail when something goes wrong. Throw the bike away, land, skid or roll.

Having said that, I'm still working on my bailing. I've always been a good crasher (I think just from growing up racing bmx, where you always crash unexpectedly), but bailing is something I've just recently learned. I'm better at it now, but sometimes I still like to hang on instead of bail (see stitches in face :twitch:). Trick jumps or jumps with soft landings are a good place to learn how to bail.