Quantcast

peg compatibility, types, and tricks

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
First of all, I have a GT Power Series Pro 20" race bike, which, of course, has no pegs. Can I put pegs on it, and what side should they be on if I ride right-foot-back? What size/style/brand/model of pegs are easiest to grind on for a beginner? Also, could someone tell me about the basic grinds you can do wih pegs on one side, and give me some tips on how to do them? Thanks a lot.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
if it's a race bike it probably has a 3/8 inch axle. it's not very strong but will work for a bit. soon it will probablyl bend and you will want to buy a new hub with a thicker axle.

the frame may have thin dropouts and if so, they will bend very easily as well. destroying the frame, pretty much.

for pegs, any steel pegs should be fine. they are all pretty much the same. you don't want ones that have knurling or texture because those are pretty much made to stand on and won't grind as well.

you will want to get pegs w/ a 3/8 inch hole. the other option is 14mm but I don't think you have a 14mm axle if your riding a race bike.

as for tricks on one side.....

smith, feeble, double peg, ice pick, tooth pick are all the basics.
www.bmxtrix.com has "how-to's"........

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
What do you mean by "soon it will probably bend"--I realize that you can't know for sure, but are you talking about after a couple grinds, a couple days, a couple months, etc?

roiyial

Chimp
Jun 30, 2004
actually theres alot of tricks you can do with just 2 pegs...alot of flatland..and alot of grinding..

just ask me if you want a list of the tricks and how to do themm..im running out of time right now..so ill get back to you later

i know stuff like this cuz i used to BMX..im more into the downhill scene now :D

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
no saying how long your axle will last. depends on alot of things such as, how hard you ride, how much you weigh, what the axle is made out of, how strong the dropouts are on the frame, etc.....

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Tully said:
What do you mean by "soon it will probably bend"--I realize that you can't know for sure, but are you talking about after a couple grinds, a couple days, a couple months, etc?

it depends on how smooth you are when griding. Since it sounds like you have never done it you wont be smooth. You could easily bend a 3/8th axel on your first attempt. But you could get lucky and have it last for months.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
If it's a race frame I wouldn't even try it, you'd be better off selling that and getting something stronger. You won't be destroying a frame and losing money in the process. Right foot back riders typically grind on the left side. This is not set in stone, do whatever feels natural to you. As for types of pegs, if you're just learning, get a cheapo set. For under 10 bucks you can get a cheapo set of pegs that will last you forever. When you get good at it I'd suggest upgrading to a Hardened set (kink, fbm, animal) they grind a lot smoother, but they tend to shatter if you really smack them around.

Enjoy and watch for security guards. If you do get caught, be polite, act dumb, and apologize, then calmly ride away. Being a dick will only get you a ticket.