Quantcast

peg on 10mm rear axle?

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
is it that bad of an idea? there must have been a thread about this somewhere, but im asking for anyone's experience or knowledge. in theory, a 10mm front peg on a solid rear 10mm axle should be fine considering how many people grind the heck out of there front 10mm hollow axles these days...im not talking tons of abuse either, just smooth ledges and tables. i don't know if im doing it for sure, but wouldn't mind trying:happydance:

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
I ran a rear peg on a kona scrap for a few months. Wasn't doing anything big, mostly icepicks and feebles and it held up. The axle was bent a little, but nothing major.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Before 14mm axles, all pegs ran on 10mm. It depends on your dropouts and how good your axle is. If you're running a cheesy axle on a xc frame with tiny dropouts you might want to reconsider.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
the typical bmx hub had 3/8" axle. it's between 9mm and 10mm.

http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm
3/8 = 0.3750 in. = 9.5250 mm

anyway. most regular 3/8 axles in the rear would bend with a peg and any sort of grinding. they would eventually bend or strip out riding flatland too. so.... people ran special strong heat treated 3/8 axles by companies like STANDARD and KINK. so if you get a strong axle you can do it, but otherwise you will mess it up.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeeaah, just zoom to your nearest Fastenal store(if you have one?) and order yourself up a $5 Grade 9 bolt. You won't bend it. I have a 12mm thru-axle on my Riot, had to mill down two places on it to fit it into my stock dropoutsm shoved a peg on it and went out and mauled a bunch of poor, innocent ledges. No probs. Not saying it's bombproof, just that I didn't have any issues during a 4 hour hackfest...