Quantcast

Pellet/BB Guns:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Who has a pellet or BB gun, what make/model is it, and what do you use it for?

When I was a kid, I had a Crossman, Pumpmaster 760 that was pretty much my favorite toy. Had the thing from about 8 years old until... I guess when I moved out. Don't know what happened to the thing, but the other day I was at K-mart, and I saw the same gun for sale.

It was like $36, why the heck not?

So I bought it. When I got home and pulled it out of the box I found a few changes from the old gun I had as a kid. Some kind of plastic "fiber optic" front sight on it, that's actually a bit too wide. Also, after some research, I found out they went to a smooth bore barrel now instead of rifled, undoubtedly for reducing production costs.

Anyway, I bought some pellets as well and set up a target area in the back yard, and after getting used to the thing, I can keep a 10" group from 165'.
I know that doesn't sound to impressive, but at 75' I can stay within 2" mostly, which is more than acceptable for a gun of $36 and use in starling/stray dog control. 625 FPS it says on the box.

Pretty happy with it.

Whatchu got?

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I've got a Benjamin Blue Streak I've had since I was a kid. It could drive tacks at 15-20 yards. Sends a .177 pellet at up to 800 fps, and it's a workout to pump.

Also have a Crossman Pumpmaster 760 that shoots bb's wildly. At one time it was fairly accurate. Now it's almost hilarious.

I've wanted an RWS since forever, but they're so freakin' expensive.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
for around $14 i got a daisy 10-pump in 1992 at the k-mart on dalraida & atlanta ave in montgomery alabama after a snowstorm closed the base (people kept sliding into the guard shack). still have it somewhere in the house.

a sgt i worked w/ had a competition air rifle (.177 also) that was accurate to 100 yds. said it cost a few hundred dollars.

is there any way to make them quieter? are cartridge charged quieter? (no spring, right?)

i also have 1 & 2 meter blowguns that'll put a dart through 5 cereal boxes or 3/4" into an aspen

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I've still got my Daisy Red Rider pump from ages ago. The thing still works great, too.

As a side note, I just got my 20" barrel .308 bolt-action done, and i'm stoked. While i've got several "tacti-cool" rifles that are nice and all, there is something about the simple look of a heavy barrel bolt action that cannot be beat.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Friend bought this high velocity pellet rifle & it's not very accurate. Paid about $200 for that thing. You cock it by the barrel on a hinge via spring action,& put the pellet in there. What a waste of money for that thing because it's loud & not very accurate at all.
His Ruger 10/22T with scope is nice though! Dude shot some low shorts through it & got the bullet stuck. I had noticed it one day looking at his gun,he didn't even know there was a bullet lodged in the barell. Guess i saved him from a little accident!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Got a cheap $15 chinese made pellet rifle .22cal from the gun show. It's a spring piston so it only takes one action to set it. Rifled barrel, wood stock, scope rail are nice touches. Plastic sights suck but are somewhat adjustable. Easily hits a 2" group at 30yds with a cheap 4x bushnell scope that I found in my closet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BB gun was definitely one of my my favorite toys growing up. It was really fun loading a strike anywhere match into the barrel. The match would generally ignite if it hit anything hard. A good way to accidentally burn a house down.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I got a Daisy 880 that's pretty well clapped out and a Czech made break barrel that I scored from my uncles from when they were kids. All wood and metal. It's a spring gun and super old so it barely shoots through paper.

We have a lot of wild cats running around here and one has taken to pooping on my porch/workshop roof. I think it's time to get a .22 Benjamin and thin the pride.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I have a Remington barrel brake single pump. I have had it for a long time. Its all wood and metal, no cheap plastic. It said it shot at 1,000fps. But that was years ago, I dont think it does quite 1000fps any more.

Its deadly accurate though. I can pick off a pigeon from 50 yards out stone dead.

They make pellet guns that shoot faster than some shotgun loads now.