Quantcast

Pelosi sure knows musicians....

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
i suppose i'm self employed then? considering my paycheck comes from the same money pot of which i pay my city taxes. i paid fed taxes when i was in the military as well...so.....
but yeah, i've tried my hand at "producing" stuff, used to build high-end swimming pools. but then i realized that my talents are better suited to protecting the lives and property of others. although, i never did just quit my current job at the time to perfect my "art". i assumed that the responsible thing for me to do was to continue to provide for my family, continue my education, and pay taxes WHILE i worked....but then again, i guess that whole "work-ethic" thing doesn't apply anymore as long as uncle lib hands us what we need?

AGAIN...will someone please explain why our leaders are telling some people that they can quit working because they're "creative"?

you guys can bag on my career choice all you like, doesn't bother me, i'm used to it. but no one has offered a decent reason as to why it's ok for some to take a hiatus and not others? are we all not equally responsible for our own welfare? or, perhaps is that the main issue here..... whether the government is responsible for our welfare or the individual. i guess, at the core, i'm just pissed that we are becoming increasingly more dependent on the government to provide.
clearly you're talking past everyone ....or everyone is talking past you...

you decide.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I sometimes kick vagrants and hookers out of the parking lot next door to my shop. That means I am doing voluntary police work, of sorts. Can I have a bike provided by tax payer money too?

:)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I sometimes kick vagrants and hookers out of the parking lot next door to my shop. That means I am doing voluntary police work, of sorts. Can I have a bike provided by tax payer money too?

:)
Only if you are selective in your vagrant kicking.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I propose we put together a little social experiment. Manimal seems to have experience both as a police officer and a musician. We know he can make a living as a cop. Let's see if he can do so as a minstrel. I'll throw in a few bucks to support him if the minstrel thing doesn't work out so his family doesn't have to suffer. If enough people also donate a few bucks it sounds like a fair experiment to me.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It can be measured in numbers too. Example the union stage hands in most cities make a SH!T load of money from big concerts. So do all the other industries that support the creation and performance of music.
I was arguing on the premise that economic contribution is fairly obvious. What seems to get often over looked is the way " creative types " enrich their communities culturally. Of course if musicians and artists didn't have time for their craft because they were too busy working their day job to buy health insurance, then people would start complaining about how boring life is.

The truth is that anyone who is serious about a life in the arts will let nothing stand in their way. And that means, unfortunately for many, they will not have health insurance. When younger emerging artists or future art students want to talk to me about a career in the arts, I ask them a very simple question. " Is this something you like to do and enjoy or is it something you have to do ? " Knowing the difference is key for surviving and flourishing in what lies ahead.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I propose we put together a little social experiment. Manimal seems to have experience both as a police officer and a musician. We know he can make a living as a cop. Let's see if he can do so as a minstrel. I'll throw in a few bucks to support him if the minstrel thing doesn't work out so his family doesn't have to suffer. If enough people also donate a few bucks it sounds like a fair experiment to me.
I got a better idea ( ok, maybe not better ), why don't I go on a ride along bike patrol through the hood with Manimal and he can come to the studio and deal with happy couples and make their wedding bands. Or sit in front of my computer and post on RM. ( don't judge my work ethic man )

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
God I hate those Industrial Designers. All artsy and doodling with their big boy crayons.

Why don't they do something useful:rolleyes:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
AGAIN...will someone please explain why our leaders are telling some people that they can quit working because they're "creative"?
Who exactly said "quit working"? "Quitting your job" and "quitting working" are two COMPLETELY different things. One is a 50+ hour/week job that you are locked in to just for the sole benefit of health care. Work is something that you do to pay the bills, including a part time job with flexible hours that can meet food and rent expenses while you start your own business, whether that's a music career *or* an entrepreneurial enterprise that may some day make you rich (in the purely capitalistic sense). You did catch the "entrepreneurial" aspect of Pelosi's statement, right?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
This thread is dumb.

To the self-employed working 2 jobs solely for health insurance:
As a self employed/insured person ($1400/mo family of 4) who tried that route, my advice is devoting 100% of your efforts on your business and quitting the day job (assuming the new biz makes any money. if it doesn't then **** can it). You'll grow the biz and be able to afford health care faster when you're not working 120hrs a week.$0.02

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey manimal, since you have such a disdain for musicians, turn your radio off and don't turn it on again. Ever. Throw all your cd's, records, mp3 players, etc in the garbage. Every time you hear someone singing just for fun, punch them in the face and tell them to get a job.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
hey manimal, since you have such a disdain for musicians, turn your radio off and don't turn it on again. Ever. Throw all your cd's, records, mp3 players, etc in the garbage. Every time you hear someone singing just for fun, punch them in the face and tell them to get a job.
apparently no one is catching my point here. i have no disdain for musicians, (although i do get jealous at people who can pick up piano better in 1 month than i did in 7 years of lessons). if a few things were different for me as a late teen i'd probably be a music teacher right now. MY POINT IS THIS: WHY HAS PELOSI SINGLED OUT MUSICIANS AND "CREATIVE TYPES" AS BENEFICIARIES OF THIS HEALTHCARE PLAN. Shouldn't EVERYONE have the same opportunity to quit the "job" to "work" on their passion? yes, they should but, realistically, that will never happen because someone has to have a "job" and "work" to pay for said healthcare. you guys are demonizing me into some kind of art and culture hater because i jest about the fact that a lot of musicians are out of work in the first place and that the tone of the speech was one of, "just quit, and we'll take care of you." For the record, if i offended any musicians or artsy types, i'm sorry. my intent was to shed light on pelosi's bad choice of words and do a little stereotyping in jest.
i guess you enlightened types are the only ones who can stereotype to fortify a point?
..and for the record, the po-po bikes and equipment are paid for from seized drug money, ie..getting some good out of dollars earned from criminals who are NOT paying taxes at their "job".

and dhracer1067....i blocked you because you're a drug dealing douchebag who has a terrible reputation on this, and other websites, for scamming people in the classifieds. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211205&highlight=dhracer1067 i just didn't feel it was prudent for a cop to have a well known pusher on my friends list trying to explain the merits of drug use in the comments section of my photos.
oh yea...and everyone i've met at the trails laughs when your name comes up and comments like, "what a dumbass" or "wasted idiot" seem to fly out of nowhere when people are talking about you. i think the last conversation i had that day at regency went something like this: "jason eaton...oh yeah, he's a good rider, but the dude is always wasted..or on probation for something drug related, probably selling shrooms this time."
grow a sack and save the tough kid comments for when we're face to face.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
MY POINT IS THIS: WHY HAS PELOSI SINGLED OUT MUSICIANS AND "CREATIVE TYPES" AS BENEFICIARIES OF THIS HEALTHCARE PLAN. Shouldn't EVERYONE have the same opportunity to quit the "job" to "work" on their passion?
She specifically said "this is an entrepreneurial bill". Was she talking to a group of artists in the video? That might have had something to do with singling out artists specifically. There is no language in the bill that says ONLY artists and creative types are to benefit from it.

Stop being such a partisan whiner. N8 is back in case you haven't noticed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
apparently no one is catching my point here. i have no disdain for musicians, (although i do get jealous at people who can pick up piano better in 1 month than i did in 7 years of lessons). if a few things were different for me as a late teen i'd probably be a music teacher right now. MY POINT IS THIS: WHY HAS PELOSI SINGLED OUT MUSICIANS AND "CREATIVE TYPES" AS BENEFICIARIES OF THIS HEALTHCARE PLAN. Shouldn't EVERYONE have the same opportunity to quit the "job" to "work" on their passion? yes, they should but, realistically, that will never happen because someone has to have a "job" and "work" to pay for said healthcare. you guys are demonizing me into some kind of art and culture hater because i jest about the fact that a lot of musicians are out of work in the first place and that the tone of the speech was one of, "just quit, and we'll take care of you." For the record, if i offended any musicians or artsy types, i'm sorry. my intent was to shed light on pelosi's bad choice of words and do a little stereotyping in jest.
i guess you enlightened types are the only ones who can stereotype to fortify a point?
..and for the record, the po-po bikes and equipment are paid for from seized drug money, ie..getting some good out of dollars earned from criminals who are NOT paying taxes at their "job".

:rofl: so sure about that? Ohio got it IN THE VERY FIRST RESPONSE OF THIS THREAD:

If you can stop your chicken littling and waving your cane at the damn hippies for a minute, you'd realize she actually has a good point. Availability of affordable healthcare is one of the primary challenges that prevents entrepreneurs from pursuing their ventures. In this case her audience was music students, so she was specific, but it applies to everyone who is job locked.

:clue:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Some people get to pursue their passions and some people have kids Manimal. We just have to deal.....and quit being such a grumpy old sod, there's not one society on earth that doesn't place a premium on nurturing creativity. In a formal educational setting arts and music are one of the first things we learn, ignoring that reality is just being obtuse.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Who exactly said "quit working"? "Quitting your job" and "quitting working" are two COMPLETELY different things. One is a 50+ hour/week job that you are locked in to just for the sole benefit of health care. Work is something that you do to pay the bills, including a part time job with flexible hours that can meet food and rent expenses while you start your own business, whether that's a music career *or* an entrepreneurial enterprise that may some day make you rich (in the purely capitalistic sense). You did catch the "entrepreneurial" aspect of Pelosi's statement, right?
Thank you.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I agree that ohio addressed manimal's "point" in the first post. However, there does seem to be a recurrent theme in the next bunch of posts, about how some think that musicians don't add value to society, whatever that means. That's actually an interesting question.

One way to look at it is just on how much one is paid, assuming the market is a fair arbiter of value (a false assumption, I think!). Going with S.S.'s point, my brother-in-law is the principal flautist at the symphony in the 85th largest metro area in the US and makes all of $17k per year for his efforts.

Is this a fair way to judge one's occupation's "worth", however? Teachers would surely disagree…

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I agree that ohio addressed manimal's "point" in the first post. However, there does seem to be a recurrent theme in the next bunch of posts, about how some think that musicians don't add value to society, whatever that means. That's actually an interesting question.

One way to look at it is just on how much one is paid, assuming the market is a fair arbiter of value (a false assumption, I think!). Going with S.S.'s point, my brother-in-law is the principal flautist at the symphony in the 85th largest metro area in the US and makes all of $17k per year for his efforts.

Is this a fair way to judge one's occupation's "worth", however? Teachers would surely disagree…
:clapping:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
alex chilton recently died because of no health insurance.
so "lack of health ins" can now be a checkbox on a coroner's report?
I propose we put together a little social experiment. Manimal seems to have experience both as a police officer and a musician. We know he can make a living as a cop.
"it's fun to be at the..."
so he can still listen to rap, then.

so can this also apply for any non-traditional job; specifically thinly sponsored DH racer? if you're not in teh top 5, you're making dick, right?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Shouldn't one take earnings potential into consideration when choosing a professional career? I understand why a burger flipper who cant afford birth control or childcare would be a bit depressed by their paycheck and lack of benefits. I'm not so sympathetic towards those who's educational advantages provide them with a wide variety of options - its not societies fault that they chose a low paying profession.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yes. The market is, of course, infallible.

Dick Fuld earned every penny every penny he ever made, working like a slave, and you don't think he deserved to be royally compensated? What are you, some kind of communist?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
No one can explain that because it is NOT what our leaders are saying. It is the way you are choosing to interpret what they are saying because you have a presupposed idea of liberal values.

What she is saying is universal healthcare will give ALL Americans MORE freedom to pursue their dream JOBS (be it entrepreneur or musician) without fear of death from lack of healthcare. Not everyone will take her up on that offer because there is still a ton of risk and pain and most folks are risk averse. They don't get a free room and board. They don't get free clothes. They get to be free from the fear of surprise lifelong debt or death.

No one does this permanently because it is still a miserable existence. Folks put in a decade at most (usually much less) of pain and suffering and they either make it or don't. If they don't, they take the desk job. Not because it's their responsible civic duty, but because they need to live.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Shouldn't one take earnings potential into consideration when choosing a professional career?.
That kind of thinking has given us two generations of unemployed engineers.

I'm currently running around looking for money for my business, talking to lots of outrageously wealthy folks. You know what college majors I typically see on their resumes? The Humanities. You know, that field that makes every grandfather groan that their grand-kid is unemployable. English Lit, History, Philosophy, Anthropology. A few Econ majors.

Learning how to be a thinker, gaining life experience, struggling and trying to pursue the things that you love and care about... all things that build good contributing members of society. Being "responsible" and learning how be nothing but a doer makes you replaceable by software or low-cost-country labor. And ironically needing the protection of a union or a lobby to keep your job.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I'm currently running around looking for money for my business, talking to lots of outrageously wealthy folks. You know what college majors I typically see on their resumes? The Humanities. You know, that field that makes every grandfather groan that their grand-kid is unemployable. English Lit, History, Philosophy, Anthropology. A few Econ majors.

Learning how to be a thinker, gaining life experience, struggling and trying to pursue the things that you love and care about... all things that build good contributing members of society. Being "responsible" and learning how be nothing but a doer makes you replaceable by software or low-cost-country labor. And ironically needing the protection of a union or a lobby to keep your job.

This may be the most insightfully relevent thing you've ever posted :D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm currently running around looking for money for my business, talking to lots of outrageously wealthy folks.
have you found that upper class are rather aloof wrt timelines? the few anecdotes i have seem to suggest they have *no idea* the need to didi mau & strike when the iron's hot.

how upper class people can stay there w/ their under-appreciation for the supporting middle class is baffling.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You have to be good at what you do in order to succeed in a performance based economy. Those with proven skills will always get the best jobs.

The 2 most valuable lessons I've learned in life are very simple:

Adapt or die.

Not everyone is a winner.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You have to be good at what you do in order to succeed in a performance based economy. Those with proven skills will always get the best jobs.

Adapt or die.

a good visual explanation of the above comment:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
have you found that upper class are rather aloof wrt timelines? the few anecdotes i have seem to suggest they have *no idea* the need to didi mau & strike when the iron's hot.
Had to look up "di di mau." Honestly, I haven't found any of them unreasonable. Maybe the culture in SF gets it a little better than most. It's a little software biased, and there's ego to deal with, but generally people get my urgency, and if they have different priorities can at least understand the gap. I did have a call with some other wealth (Florida agency, representing old/oil money in TX, FL, and Saudi), and no, they don't get it.

Adapt or die.

Adapting, huh? That kind of takes some creativity, wouldn't you say? Or perhaps some experience in life where the path wasn't perfectly defined and you had to figure it out for yourself?

What are the chances that what you trained for at 19 is applicable to a job that is available 30 years later? I'd say zero.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
What are the chances that what you trained for at 19 is applicable to a job that is available 30 years later? I'd say zero.
war is a great industry for just this reason

so is the oldest profession, but who waits until they're 19? ok, maybe the occasional under grad student

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Adapt or die.

How does this apply to musicians?

Is Justin Bieber a better musician than Toshi's brother because he makes way more money and has millions more fans?

Music and art are not evaluated by $$$ or statistics.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
so is the oldest profession, but who waits until they're 19? ok, maybe the occasional under grad student
I stand by my statement that the training from your teens won't prepare you for what you have to do in your 50s.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I suspect things I learned when I was 19 like physics, chemistry, and mathematics will still be applicable for a few more years.

But then again.... what are the chances?