Quantcast

Pelosi sure knows musicians....

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I suspect things I learned when I was 19 like physics, chemistry, and mathematics will still be applicable for a few more years.

But then again.... what are the chances?
You're agreeing with me.

Big difference between things you learned and things you trained for. Physics, chemistry and math are not vocations. They are foundational knowledge that allows you to be flexible and adaptable, by giving you an understanding of the world around you and a general ability to manage large amounts of information and make sense of it. Just like the ability to clearly articulate your thoughts (Linguistics and Literature), make well-reasoned arguments (Philosophy), put real-world situations into context (Anthropology, Politics, History), and reach others on an emotional level (the Arts).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Its makes him a more successful entertainer, being a better musician has nothing to do with it.

How does this apply to musicians?

Is Justin Bieber a better musician than Toshi's brother because he makes way more money and has millions more fans?

Music and art are not evaluated by $$$ or statistics.

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
You never answered my question, by the way.

NC is an at-will state? Can you be fired at will, for no specific reason, with no notice? If not, why not?
yes, i can be fired at will according to state labor laws but it's unheard of outside of probationary periods of employment. i, of course, can't be fired for race,sex,age...etc, but the employer retains the right to fire for any reason other than discrimination (OSHA whistle blower or demographic).

http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact sheets/eaw.htm

i do belong to the FOP (Fraternal Order of Police) but it is not classified as a Labor Union. My annual dues are, in essence, retainer fees for a lawyer in the event that i am involved in a shooting/serious use of force or feel that i have been discriminated against in the workplace. The FOP does not lobby for our wages/benefits. having an attorney on retainer is a necessity in my profession and especially in our litigious society where everyone is looking to sue the deepest pockets they can find for any perceived inconvenience.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
yes, i can be fired at will according to state labor laws but it's unheard of outside of probationary periods of employment. i, of course, can't be fired for race,sex,age...etc, but the employer retains the right to fire for any reason other than discrimination (OSHA whistle blower or demographic).

http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact sheets/eaw.htm

i do belong to the FOP (Fraternal Order of Police) but it is not classified as a Labor Union. My annual dues are, in essence, retainer fees for a lawyer in the event that i am involved in a shooting/serious use of force or feel that i have been discriminated against in the workplace. The FOP does not lobby for our wages/benefits. having an attorney on retainer is a necessity in my profession and especially in our litigious society where everyone is looking to sue the deepest pockets they can find for any perceived inconvenience.
So, basically, you enjoy something that no other non-unionized employees do in your state, and you also are a member of a professional organization that has most of the characteristics of a union without actually being called one.

You know, my Dad makes the same stupid argument. He's a CPA, but he's not unionized...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

So what you're saying is that your union is kind of crappy in only one regard but other than that you're pretty happy with your union.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
So what you're saying is that your union is kind of crappy in only one regard but other than that you're pretty happy with your union.
sure, minus the whole "union" part. FOP is no different than keeping a lawyer on retainer in a high-liability profession. they don't lobby for our work conditions, benefits, or pay. members and non-members receive the same pay/benefits. i just consider it cop-insurance.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
sure, minus the whole "union" part. FOP is no different than keeping a lawyer on retainer in a high-liability profession. they don't lobby for our work conditions, benefits, or pay. members and non-members receive the same pay/benefits. i just consider it cop-insurance.
No, having a lawyer on retainer means paying a lawyer. You're a member of a professional organization that actively lobbies on your behalf for your industry. What you're trying to argue is that since you don't have rear suspension, you can't really call a hardtail a bike, so it's a rocket pack.

Like I said, CPAs make the same stupid argument about not being unionized. So do doctors. It makes them feel better when they are ranting about the plebes.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Of course it's not a union! You can't collectively bargain because of NC legislation. Your un...er...professional organization is working on that, though.

My name is Chuck Canterbury, the National President of the Fraternal Order of Police, the largest law enforcement labor organization in the United States, representing more than 327,000 officers in every region of the nation.
I am here this morning to urge this Subcommittee to consider and report favorably H.R. 413, the “Public Employer-Employee Cooperation Act.” The legislation, which is cosponsored by nearly two hundred Members of the House of Representatives, was considered and overwhelmingly passed by the full Committee in June 2007 on a 42-1 vote and, just a few weeks later passed the House on a 314-97 vote. Its enactment is one of the highest legislative priorities of our the Fraternal Order of Police.
This is a very simple bill, crafted to accomplish a very simple objective–to give our nation’s public safety officers, who put themselves in harm’s way every single day, the opportunity to sit down and talk with their employers about workplace issues. It’s about the importance of dialogue between the rank-and-file law enforcement officers and the public safety agency which employs them.

http://edlabor.house.gov/hearings/2010/03/hr-413-public-safety-employer-.shtml

http://edlabor.house.gov/documents/111/pdf/testimony/20100310ChuckCanterburyTestimony.pdf

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Like I said, CPAs make the same stupid argument about not being unionized. So do doctors. It makes them feel better when they are ranting about the plebes.
I'm in a union now, actually. $25 of each of my paychecks goes to them, all for a once a year hot dog and burger cookout? Seems like I'm getting a crap bargain since pay and benefits here are not significantly different than any other hospital.