Quantcast

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
House Speaker Pelosi calls Bush 'a total failure'

By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer 25 minutes ago

President Bush has been a "total failure" in everything from the economy to the war to energy policy, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday. In an interview on CNN, the California Democrat was asked to respond to video of the president criticizing the Democratic-led Congress for heading into the final 26 days of the legislative session without having passed a single government spending bill.

Pelosi shot back in unusually personal terms.

"You know, God bless him, bless his heart, president of the United States, a total failure, losing all credibility with the American people on the economy, on the war, on energy, you name the subject," Pelosi replied. She then tsk-tsked Bush for "challenging Congress when we are trying to sweep up after his mess over and over and over again."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino defended Bush.

"What the president said is a fact — this is the longest a Congress has gone in 20 years without passing a single spending bill, so it's clear that the speaker is feeling some frustration at their inability to do so."

Pelosi's outburst was a departure. Her usual practice in public has been to call Bush's policies a failure — not his presidency or him, personally. Pelosi's remarks are the latest evidence of the Democrats' throw-caution-to-the-wind approach to Bush in the waning days of a presidency weighed down by an unpopular war and soaring gasoline prices.

Election Day, after all, is just over four months away; Bush's successor takes his seat on Jan. 20.

Pelosi's counterpart in the Senate, Majority Leader Harry Reid, long ago took off the rhetorical gloves. Last month, he ridiculed Republicans who sided with Bush on a Medicare bill.

"Who would be afraid of him?" Reid, D-Nev., said as many senators looked on. "He's got a 29 percent approval rating."

The public's view of Congress is even worse. Its approval rating has hit a new low of just 18 percent, down from 23 percent last month, according to a new AP-Ipsos poll. Bush's approval is at 28 percent, about even with the 29 percent rating last month.

Only 16 percent of those surveyed thought the country was moving in the right direction, a new low as well, although statistically the same as last month's 17 percent.

Last week Reid and other Democrats dropped any pretense of trying to fight the president on battles they were likely to lose — even on the most important part of their jobs, which is passing spending bills that keep the government running.

Of the 12 annual appropriations bills, Congress is likely to pass one or two and send Bush a temporary spending fix for the rest. That would have to suffice until a new president takes office, Reid told reporters.

Privately, Democrats have said that either candidate for president — Democrat Barack Obama or Republican John McCain — would be easier to make laws with than Bush. But Reid made clear which he'd prefer.

"I would hope that before we would leave here this year that we would do a continuing resolution that would get us (through) until after Senator Obama becomes president," he said.
Finally. I bet impeachment hearings would improve Congress's ratings.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
A July 8, 2008 Rasmussen Report finds that Congress has the lowest approval rating yet recorded: 9%. 52% of respondents say that Congress is doing a "poor" job.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

A great deal of attention has been paid over the last two years to President Bush's relatively low approval rating, which is mired around 30%. But, while it took President Bush around six years to drive his approval rating into the ditch, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have achieved a far worse result in a mere year and a half. That's remarkable.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
A July 8, 2008 Rasmussen Report finds that Congress has the lowest approval rating yet recorded: 9%. 52% of respondents say that Congress is doing a "poor" job.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Congress can't do **** with a President like Bush in charge, but you can't expect the American public to know that.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
the ones where a retarded chimp president with a room temp IQ managed to continually outwit those brainy congressional dimocrats???

Oh YEAH!

:clapping:
i give up, it is like talking to a brick wall

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
can be done if congress has it's sh!t together on good legislation but whatever

were are talking a congress with a single digit approval rating after all

:monkeydance:
Yeah, who gives a **** about approval ratings though? Is that really a benchmark for success? The country is in a downward spiral economically and trapped in the midst of a military quagmire, we're looking at approval ratings? Of course they're low. And without a 2/3 majority, and against a tow-the-line republican bunch of spacktards, and a president who won't let anything pass... yeah... of course congress is ineffective. No sh*t.
And who gives an ineffective congress high ratings? No one. Why would they? But nice spin to make it look like democrats are seemingly, universally hated here. I mean, I hate them, but not as much as the other tards right now.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Yeah, who gives a **** about approval ratings though? Is that really a benchmark for success? The country is in a downward spiral economically and trapped in the midst of a military quagmire, we're looking at approval ratings? Of course they're low. And without a 2/3 majority, and against a tow-the-line republican bunch of spacktards, and a president who won't let anything pass... yeah... of course congress is ineffective. No sh*t.
And who gives an ineffective congress high ratings? No one. Why would they? But nice spin to make it look like democrats are seemingly, universally hated here. I mean, I hate them, but not as much as the other tards right now.
i'm just saying pelosi is crapping too close to her front door and tracking in...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
i'm just saying pelosi is crapping too close to her front door and tracking in...
Perhaps you could illustrate some of the successes of this administration? (other than some supposed success with north korea in the last 2 weeks)

Basically everything is worse off now than it was 8 years ago. And the president takes the job WANTING the responsibility of running the country. So he got the responsibility (remember republicans love to tout 'personal responsibility') and everything has gone south. Is he going to take the responsibility for that? **** no, he'll pass the buck as usual. Blame congress, after all, look at their approval ratings. :rolleyes:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
lol.. i think you have that backasswards.. congress (like Sanirol) blame bush for everything.
See, exactly my point N_8. Bush WANTED the responsibility of being the president, so when it comes reckoning time, to see what he ultimately was responsible for, all we get is deflection and blame. Your post is the perfect example.
Cracks me up every time.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
lol.. i think you have that backasswards.. congress (like Sanirol) blame bush for everything.
not everything, congress needs to grow a spine and not pass **** like the fisa "compromise"

However, the Bush administration has pretty much tanked the country

splat

Nam I am
not everything, congress needs to grow a spine

No Kidding , so what Bush Veto's what they pass. Still pass the legislation and get it veto'ed show the American people you are trying to do something for change in stead of just sitting back showing you are a do nothing with no guts , just willing to point the fingers. if you pass a enough bills that get vetod A) some might actually be able to get through on veto over ride., B) It will look like your actually doing the job you were sent to washington to do C) enough Veto's will help make not only make the President look bad ( which doesn't need much help ) but it will help make any candidate that opposes him look better.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
can be done if congress has it's sh!t together on good legislation but whatever

were are talking a congress with a single digit approval rating after all

:monkeydance:
Actually, I agree with you on this matter. I think Congress is doing nothing to improve our country, but rather sitting on their hands because our leader is a sh*thead.

I rather Pelosi and Reid attack Bush at every instance and go down fighting rather than sit around and wait for Barack or McCain to fix the problems.