Quantcast

pen drives/ flash drives/ diskonkey/ whatever

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
earlier this evening, my world was greatly expanded with the introduction of these things. i always thought they would be a pain in the butt to use on multiple computers, but to my amazement, they aren't, and that's exactly what they're designed to do. wow. i need one. computers in the school library no longer have floppy drives (they new Dell Optiplexes).

is there any one brand of these that is superior to others? i'm just looking for 128megs. looking at CNET's reviews, of which there are few, only 3 seemed to get good responses from the editors, and others, and only 1 of those was in my price range ($30-$40). what have y'all used?

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
the Inbred said:
earlier this evening, my world was greatly expanded with the introduction of these things. i always thought they would be a pain in the butt to use on multiple computers, but to my amazement, they aren't, and that's exactly what they're designed to do. wow. i need one. computers in the school library no longer have floppy drives (they new Dell Optiplexes).

is there any one brand of these that is superior to others? i'm just looking for 128megs. looking at CNET's reviews, of which there are few, only 3 seemed to get good responses from the editors, and others, and only 1 of those was in my price range ($30-$40). what have y'all used?
I just use my flash card reader and sD flash for my camera. I thought about getting one but why pay more when I already got what I need. Not as portable I guess.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Inbred, go for a Sandisk Cruzer they always rate very high. If you want one that is indestructible, the Titanium is awesome.

Search anandtech.com or fatwallet.com for deals, pricegrabber.com to search for prices or head to newegg.com they always have a decent price but don't often have the Titaniums in stock.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
bastard i have the 1gig sandisk...
kinda weird, i really could use the 2gig one.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
DHS said:
bastard i have the 1gig sandisk...
kinda weird, i really could use the 2gig one.
yeah..it's pretty nice. you can even get one of those MP3 player attachement that you simply plug the SanDisk in - turns your cruzer into a portable MP3 player. :thumb:

the 2GB is not out yet...but should be soon.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can get a 1GB mini cruzer for about $75 with shipping from mwave.com.

Its small enough where it you can still plug other things into adjacent port - it doesn't block them...

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Mine is a 256mb w/ a simple MP3 player built in. It holds just enough music for a 3 hour ride or ski session. I can also be converted to a voice recorder. Got it about 2 years ago for $107 thru Amazon. Love it, can't live without it during workouts or ski/bike sessions. I want a SanDisk, but I've heard about the attachment to the MP3 module being not too secure. Acadian & DHS, any issues w/ yours coming loose when bopping around, either on bike or skis?

Edit: do they have tuners built in? Having NPR is nice sometimes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Paul

Check newegg.com - lots of flash players with tuner, mp3, wma, ogg, recorder support and 15-20 hr. battery life. 1 GB players can be had for $145.

I like jetaudio/cowon best but the ones from creative are pretty good.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Pau11y said:
Mine is a 256mb w/ a simple MP3 player built in. It holds just enough music for a 3 hour ride or ski session. I can also be converted to a voice recorder. Got it about 2 years ago for $107 thru Amazon. Love it, can't live without it during workouts or ski/bike sessions. I want a SanDisk, but I've heard about the attachment to the MP3 module being not too secure. Acadian & DHS, any issues w/ yours coming loose when bopping around, either on bike or skis?

Edit: do they have tuners built in? Having NPR is nice sometimes.
Unfortunately I don't have the MP3 module. I just use a cheap Nomad MuVo that I bought last year....and I never ride with music - just when climbing to some DH runs.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Hmmm i'm interested in these things i just had a 256mb cheapie from sams club that i used for digital art but i want a smaller MP3 player for riding since theipod is kinda big for pocket use when riding street or djs.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mobius said:
Hmmm i'm interested in these things i just had a 256mb cheapie from sams club that i used for digital art but i want a smaller MP3 player for riding since theipod is kinda big for pocket use when riding street or djs.
Thats good cause HDD and mini HDD players are no good for situations with lots of shock (ie crashing, jogging, rough terrain). Flash is ideal.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
syadasti said:
Thats good cause HDD and mini HDD players are no good for situations with lots of shock (ie crashing, jogging, rough terrain). Flash is ideal.

Yeah and dirt jumping with a tiny mp3 player would rock.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
mobius said:
Yeah and dirt jumping with a tiny mp3 player would rock.
It really is very kewl to do things w/ tunes! I caught a waist deep powder day and had some Bob Marley on mine going, it was one of the best days I've had on skis. I do almost all of my XC and road riding w/ tunes too. DHing I prefer to have some sound feedback, but I've also ran it w/ tunes. Highly recomended!

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
the Inbred said:
picked up a 256mb Cruzer from Fry's for $40.
They're almost all the same, only a few companies that build the controller chips for them. Just find the right size and get the best price.

Wish I had known, I usually end up with a bunch of them after trade shows, I coulda scored you one.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, short term review....

i love this thing. who'd of thought this little gadget would make life that much simpler. no more huge attachemts on e-mail, just drag and drop. yea for simplicity.

i'm now turned on to the idea of a flash based mp3 player and am considering a JetAudio iAudio, iRiver iFP-790, and the Creative MuVo. the iAudio doesn't have as good of user reviews as the other 2, which are both above 80% positive with more than 200 reviews.

maybe i'm blinded by something, but it doesn't seem that any of these accept some sort of memory card. would it be blatantly obvious if it did?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
the Inbred said:
well, short term review....

i love this thing. who'd of thought this little gadget would make life that much simpler. no more huge attachemts on e-mail, just drag and drop. yea for simplicity.

i'm now turned on to the idea of a flash based mp3 player and am considering a JetAudio iAudio, iRiver iFP-790, and the Creative MuVo. the iAudio doesn't have as good of user reviews as the other 2, which are both above 80% positive with more than 200 reviews.

maybe i'm blinded by something, but it doesn't seem that any of these accept some sort of memory card. would it be blatantly obvious if it did?

Most of the smaller pen drives don't have memory slots. The larger flash players like some of the Rio's do - just post on the dapreview.net forums and I'm sure there are some people there who can help you out.