Quantcast

People walking dogs on Tempest

Fall Guy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
Another thread just reminded me of this. The other day I was coming down Tempest and just before the little rock drop to left hand berm this woman is standing there yelling Stop! Stop! So me thinking there is some rider down or something I stop for a sec while she explains that her dogs are loose on the trails ahead. So I continue down a bit and see a guy carrying one dog and 2 others were following.

Im still confused why there were 2 people walking 3 dogs up Tempest and to top it off without leashes. Doesn’t Tempest have a leash law?

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
People like this is what creates ridiculous rules.

Common sense should tell you high speed bikers are rolling down this trail, and you might either leash your dogs or hike somewhere else.

You should inform the Diablo management that you almost hit a dog, so you they can put up a new rule that no dogs are allowed off leash.

The people should have used some common sense instead.

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
Are the trails even open for non-paying users?

When I lived in Colorado that was always the annoying thing about Keystone is the people that would hike up the DH trails and then stand there and get hiker-rage when you did not come to a complete stop to "let them pass".

That has been one of the things I've loved about Diablo is the lack of foot traffic....I hope this is a rare incident!

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Are the trails even open for non-paying users?
Unfortunately, anyone who comes to mountain creek, and the water-park can ride the lift for $2. This creates a problem, because occasionally they decide to hike the trails, or picnic on rock on dirt merchant.

Zaphoid

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
I wish there was some provision to keep people off the trails, I came about 6 inches from ploughing into some indian grandma walking down jack on fri. Right in the middle of the bloody trail, had the nerve to yell at me for not sharing the trails with others.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
First of all, I would try to be polite. As much as I would love to launch over some family sitting next to a big drop, you just jumped over the local councilman's wife, and the next thing is they decide mountain biking is unsafe for their district.

Don't forget though, is that Diablo you have the right to be there. Utilize it by telling the management to control hikers and dogs.

Keep in mind out in Norcal, if I have a big blow up with some dude, I could be responsible for closing a trail system down to bikers.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Another thread just reminded me of this. The other day I was coming down Tempest and just before the little rock drop to left hand berm this woman is standing there yelling Stop! Stop! So me thinking there is some rider down or something I stop for a sec while she explains that her dogs are loose on the trails ahead. So I continue down a bit and see a guy carrying one dog and 2 others were following.

Im still confused why there were 2 people walking 3 dogs up Tempest and to top it off without leashes. Doesn’t Tempest have a leash law?
I can't see someone being able to catch up with their dogs if they got loose in the woods off Diablo property... so that one's out... it's possible they were just passing through and one got loose... but the woods are too thick and the terrain is too steep to cut across the fall line... so that one's out too... so basically it seems they were walking with their dogs down Tempest with no leashes, probably almost got mowed down by the rider ahead of you, one of the dogs gave chase, didn't repsond to it's masters command to stop/come, the guy gives chase leaving the woman behind... when suddenly it occured to them: "Gee, maybe we shouldn't be here with our poorly trained dogs off the leash".

So either way they are complete idiots.

Since dogs are usually the starter kit for couples wanting to have children, if people like this can't even take care of their dogs, train them, or have the common sense to avoid putting them in dangerous situations they = FAIL, for future procreation.

Like Sanjuro said - be polite, but report that to Shawn or the guys in the ticket office, because one of these days some moron will be going for a nature walk on Tempest and in the blink of an eye get mowed down and send a rider OTB into the trees...

"You can't fix stupid"
- Ron White

Last edited:

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Honestly, I don't think we're under any obligation to be "polite" to hikers who ruin the runs at Diablo.

At ANY OTHER PLACE hikers should be treated with the utmost respect. At public parks where trails are open to multiple users, then mutual respect is mandatory, but Diablo trails are FOR CYCLISTS ONLY. I'm pretty sure that hikers are not allowed on the trails at all. Riding the lift up for 2 dollars entitles you to hang out at the base at the top of the mountain, enjoy the view, hang out on the picnic benches but you're not allowed to hike the trails as far as I know.

Still, the most ridiculous thing I saw on Friday was the family of 5 who didn't want to spend the 10 dollars to ride the lift to the top, and so they were HIKING UP THE MOUNTAIN. We saw them from the lift near the top and they were making their 4 year old daughter hike up the damn mountain. The dad was holding this big tube and the son was dragging a rolly suitcase up a 60 degree grade. So stupid.

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
did anyone else see the family( about 10 people) walking up the mountain under the lift sunday above alpine? i think 2 of them were even dragging suitcases with them. kinda funny.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
did anyone else see the family( about 10 people) walking up the mountain under the lift sunday above alpine? i think 2 of them were even dragging suitcases with them. kinda funny.
maybe their carry-on luggage wouldn't fit in the overhead compartment on the lift??? :rofl:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Honestly, I don't think we're under any obligation to be "polite" to hikers who ruin the runs at Diablo.
I disagree.

Keep in mind when I meet horseback riders who want to lecture me about trail access when their idea of trail building is writing a check to their councilman, I tell them, "One day we will have political power, and you will be gone!"

But in the the meanwhile, I think it is important to be diplomatic, even if you meet a hiker on a double black diamond.

I think we need to be better than this, because trust me, in places like Nor Cal, where cyclists are competing for access with hikers and horseback riders, we need to create something better than the crap we receive now.

Now I know Diablo should be cyclists only, but you might not realize how reputation might affect access there. You piss off the wrong person, or even worse, hit somebody, and that will not only make every cyclist around the country look bad, maybe next year the lawsuit against Diablo ends cycling there. (Think Snow Summit).

I hope they do institute rules to prevent hikers from getting themselves into dangerous situations, but in the meanwhile stay cool around hikers.

Just vandalize their cars!

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Still, the most ridiculous thing I saw on Friday was the family of 5 who didn't want to spend the 10 dollars to ride the lift to the top, and so they were HIKING UP THE MOUNTAIN. We saw them from the lift near the top and they were making their 4 year old daughter hike up the damn mountain. The dad was holding this big tube and the son was dragging a rolly suitcase up a 60 degree grade. So stupid.
I saw them also, and some some funny ****t it was. I don't believe they dragged that stupid tube and suitcase all the way to the top. They're probably the same people that put toilet paper in the garbage can, not the toilet.

Fall Guy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
Thats funny, I though I was being sarcastic.I didn't think people were allowed to hike the trails at any time.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I think we need to be better than this, because trust me, in places like Nor Cal, where cyclists are competing for access with hikers and horseback riders, we need to create something better than the crap we receive now.

Now I know Diablo should be cyclists only, but you might not realize how reputation might affect access there. You piss off the wrong person, or even worse, hit somebody, and that will not only make every cyclist around the country look bad, maybe next year the lawsuit against Diablo ends cycling there. (Think Snow Summit).
That's all well and good, but the point of my post is that the trails at Diablo are for CYCLISTS ONLY. At parks where horses and hikers are allowed, then yes, cyclists should do whatever they can to maintain respect and ensure that their cycling rights aren't taken away because of safety concerns. Lift assisted parks like Diablo which are for cyclists only should be the one place where we have rights over hikers. I'm not saying that if we come across hikers on a Diablo trail we should go out of our way to injure them or be unpleasant, because that's just retarded on a human level, but I'll let them know that they're not supposed to be on those trails.

Hamburgler

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
I'm baffled. Are there any rules for the water park visitors who ride the lift?

These are designated bike trails, where people are PAYING to ride a specific set on private (?) property. This isn't the local trail system with many user groups, its a BUSINESS. I'm really curious to hear what diablo management has to say...

There is also big consequence and liability here, and i highly doubt diablo wants any collisions when hikers havent signed waivers!!

Last edited:

C. Rider

Chimp
Sep 6, 2007

I saw a full Latino family, baby, stroller, roller suitcase, tube and kids coming out between alpine and Ripper and they continue going up under the gondola. It was funny but I felt bad for them I don’t think they spoke English so they did not ask and anyone say anything to them.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
I saw a full Latino family, baby, stroller, roller suitcase, tube and kids coming out between alpine and Ripper and they continue going up under the gondola. It was funny but I felt bad for them I don’t think they spoke English so they did not ask and anyone say anything to them.

Dios Mio, montana es mucho alto, donde es de Gondola?!

:imstupid:

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
I saw them too, that must have sucked for them, especially the kid in the stroller.

Just think... DH baby stroller-ing. :imstupid:

The303Kid

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Bergen County
technically waterparkers not allowed on the mountain at all, all the money from the sky rides goes to mountain creek lift ops and all mountain creek lift ops owns is the lifts so if water parkers step off the lift they should be paying diablo

TeeDee

Chimp
Apr 30, 2005
JerZey
I hike the trails at Diablo all all the time, every week if I can. I like to go at the end of the day to watch some riding and hike down after the lift shuts down. If they band hikers, that would really SUCK! :plthumbsdown:

But the dog thing is crazy, Next time run the mut over! :cheers:

Instigatr

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
New Milford, NJ
I can't see someone being able to catch up with their dogs if they got loose in the woods off Diablo property... so that one's out... it's possible they were just passing through and one got loose... but the woods are too thick and the terrain is too steep to cut across the fall line... so that one's out too... so basically it seems they were walking with their dogs down Tempest with no leashes, probably almost got mowed down by the rider ahead of you, one of the dogs gave chase, didn't repsond to it's masters command to stop/come, the guy gives chase leaving the woman behind... when suddenly it occured to them: "Gee, maybe we shouldn't be here with our poorly trained dogs off the leash".

So either way they are complete idiots.

Since dogs are usually the starter kit for couples wanting to have children, if people like this can't even take care of their dogs, train them, or have the common sense to avoid putting them in dangerous situations they = FAIL, for future procreation.
So next time, stop your bike and rip her uteris out.

To the people who think we should be polite to people hiking the Diablo trails - What about during the US Open race? Be polite then too?

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
I thought snow summit was closed down because a Japanese Downhiller killed herself during the race event?

At any rate, we are paying to ride these trails, signing waivers. This is DIABLO FREERIDE PARK. If people cannot find anywhere else to hike they should have to pay and sign waivers as well / at least be educated about the "risk" they take because if I'm coming out of a blind corner and there is a family there there is not much I can do but run into them, but since I look like darth vader of course the armoured up "scary" biker will be to blame in the situation.

I don't propose being rude to any hikers out there until management deals with the issue, and understand access issues, but this is private property intended (or at least sold to bikers) for the use of downhill / freeride biking. These places are rare and in these rare places I do not think we need to share the trail....we have been booted off enough trails by hikers and horseback riders, I think we have the right to demand our own place to not be bothered by them if they can do that to us.

(of course to the guy that rides and hikes up to take some pics, or the rider who gets off course to watch how people take a certain stunt or line, you know what to look out and how to be safe for because you ride, that is a different story).

Just my opinion.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
So next time, stop your bike and rip her uteris out.

To the people who think we should be polite to people hiking the Diablo trails - What about during the US Open race? Be polite then too?

... that's a little extreme. :hmm: :)

Yes! Always be polite - some people are just clueless. They don't understand DH: How fast we ride, how much armor we wear, or how quiet our bikes can be... so if they just don't know, we have to educate them. (but one would think that if a person was walking down Tempest, came across some of the tabletops and drops, and took into account that the whole trail goes downhill, as do ALL of the trails, then maybe the people riding bikes here are going REALLY fast)

Just say: "Look, I know this looks like a dog-path or nature trail to you, but in reality this is private property and the trail you are on is ridden by people on 40-plus pound bikes wearing moto gear going insanely fast. This is no place for pedestrian or canine traffic. Walking down the middle of this trail with your back to the top of the mountain is the equivalent of blindfolding yourself and then going for a walk down the middle of RT. 80."

... or something to that effect. :biggrin:

If they piss and moan, be nice... if they say that you are in the wrong, be nice... How will you know when it's time NOT to be nice? Shawn will tell you. He's the Cooler, you're the...

Damn - I gotta stop watching Roadhouse.

:biggrin:

Last edited:

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
... that's a little extreme. :hmm: :)

Yes! Always be polite - some people are just clueless. They don't understand DH: How fast we ride, how much armor we wear, or how quiet our bikes can be... so if they just don't know, we have to educate them. (but one would think that if a person was walking down Tempest, came across some of the tabletops and drops, and took into account that the whole trail goes downhill, as do ALL of the trails, then maybe the people riding bikes here are going REALLY fast)

Just say: "Look, I know this looks like a dog-path or nature trail to you, but in reality this is private property and the trail you are on is ridden by people on 40-plus pound bikes wearing moto gear going insanely fast. This is no place for pedestrian or canine traffic. Walking down the middle of this trail with your back to the top of the mountain is the equivalent of blindfolding yourself and then going for a walk down the middle of RT. 80."

... or something to that effect. :biggrin:

If they piss and moan, be nice... if they say that you are in the wrong, be nice... How will you know when it's time NOT to be nice? Shawn will tell you. He's the Cooler, you're the...

Damn - I gotta stop watching Roadhouse.

:biggrin:
if this doesnt work. then i will pull out my fluxcapaciter and send them into another dimension.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I saw these 2 f-ing idiots saturday morning walking up from tempest. 3 dogs only one of them was on a leash. Luckily for them they were already in the clearing, otherwise they would have gotten an earfull.

G-RockMurray

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
diablo is private property, so hikers do not have a "right" to the mnt unless management says its ok. rule of thumb on public parks is bike yield's to horse, horse yield's to hiker, hiker yield's to bike.

pretty easy to follow but you'll always find somebody who thinks whatever there doing its their right.

but again diablo is private property so hikers do not have the right of way. and they dont need to follow any trail sharing etiquette. like how on msg boards i dont feel the need to follow grammar etiquette cause its a msg board not an English exam.

so if diablo has a hiker policy thats all that needs to be followed.

ps selling bike...car needs a timing belt :(

Last edited: