Quantcast

People you just dont bother with...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
How many people do you deal with in the course of your day that you really just dont bother with? Since my unfortunate promotion to a cubicle (With walls that unfortunately do not isolate me from reality...) I have been exposed to MORON-CON5 on a daily basis. Two guys I work with talk to themselves incessantly, and intrude on others conversations as habit, more often than not bringing non sensical, pay attention to me ramblings into the conversation just so they can be included. They are both right wing borderline nut job types, hating on Obama every chance they get, and you cant have a decent conversation with either one. So I have simply started ignoring them both for anything but work essential topics...who else has to share workspace with such peeps?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Start working with someone that takes hours to do something that takes minutes. Once I had a boss who wasnt sure of a spelling of one word so instead of googling it she pondered about it for 15 minutes. She was also anal about presentation looks while being very bad on content. Though our client wasnt better and often demanded projects that usually take 2 weeks of constant work to be done in 1 day... The problem is ignoring people in your work is not always a good thing to do.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I work for Naval Air Systems Command, the ConAgra of cube farms. Lots of people like that. I have learned to tune out the excess noise to the extent possible. My favorite 2 are the phone shouters who insist on shouting because they're on speakerphone (all thought we all have headsets) and the co workers who work 3 cubes apart and email each other and reply all to have a conversation.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have been blessed with the God given ability to tune everybody out. It's not a gift I take for granted. People could be having a conversation right outside my cubicle and most of the time I don't even notice.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I work for Naval Air Systems Command, the ConAgra of cube farms. Lots of people like that. I have learned to tune out the excess noise to the extent possible. My favorite 2 are the phone shouters who insist on shouting because they're on speakerphone (all thought we all have headsets) and the co workers who work 3 cubes apart and email each other and reply all to have a conversation.
Working now at a Geo-CoComm...gotta be a similiar experience.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
The longer I'm on this planet, the longer my "people I just don't bother with" list gets. Honestly, I don't see how my list can get much longer, it includes pretty much the entire population already.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The horses I work with don't seem to talk so I would say mostly white people suffer from this problem.
Understood...alot of little brown people own horses? My experience around stables is that they are primarily populated with uppity white chicks with nothing els to do than spend the $$ their hubbies make. But your results may differ...

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
It's time for the Airing of Grievances! You alllllll, stink! Cougar, my son tells me you suck!

Seriously though, I'm getting pretty sick of people coming to me for a logo design, then trying to dictate how it should look. I'm sorry, but I won't just do what you want, cause what you want looks like sh!t! And I'm not putting my name on your pile of poop! You don't go to the auto mechanic and tell him to fix your car the way YOU think it should be done! No, they fix it the way a pro mechanic would! So stop telling the pro how to make your stupid logo!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I work with one guy in particular who is new to the company and has a lot of questions. I'm (was) happy to answer them. The problem is, he doesn't seem to be happy to actually LISTEN to the answer, talks over me and/or interrupts while I'm trying to help him out.

Shut your face, and bask in the glow of my vast knowledge.

No?

Okay then, I dunno, ask somebody else. Ass.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The upside of my job is that I charge by ten minute increments. So if you feel like carrying on like a monster ass clown, I am just fine with charging your retainer. I've had a few clients that have burned through very large retainers just on the phone. They get surprised, then demand I don't charge them for my time. Usually they either pony up more cash, or I fire them for non-payment. Its the little things that make me happy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have been blessed with the God given ability to tune everybody out. It's not a gift I take for granted. People could be having a conversation right outside my cubicle and most of the time I don't even notice.
This.

Starting my 3rd week here and I seem like a rockstar. If rockstardom comes from an increased RM post count, then I'm down.

I have people skills!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yup. People at work can be a drag. I work with some who won't put files back in the cabinets. Instead they have a few dozen scattered around their desks. All the info in the paper files is available on screen on demand.

Worse than IRL people are the geniuses sending company-wide emails about new hires for some position so far removed from me in the parent company that I will never have anything to do with them. I get two emails per announcement: one with a PDF attachment and one with a link to a web page with the same info. I haven't been able to get the spam filter to block these yet, but I keep trying.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Yup. People at work can be a drag. I work with some who won't put files back in the cabinets. Instead they have a few dozen scattered around their desks. All the info in the paper files is available on screen on demand.

Worse than IRL people are the geniuses sending company-wide emails about new hires for some position so far removed from me in the parent company that I will never have anything to do with them. I get two emails per announcement: one with a PDF attachment and one with a link to a web page with the same info. I haven't been able to get the spam filter to block these yet, but I keep trying.
Do you also have multiple bosses? So you get told the same thing by several different people?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
it's not the folks that I work with its the frequent flyers that are gaming the health care system that we transport that I have on ignore. Totally self entitled bunch of hyppocrites that go on and on about how the rest of us owe them a lunch.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Yup, stupid people suck. I work with TONS of people like you described. Thats why I drink... well one of a million reasons why I drink :cheers:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley

Outlook custom rules FTW.

Send the messages straight to the "Deleted Items" folder based on "Subject" and "From" field information. Then setup Outlook to automatically empty the "Deleted Items" folder upon exit. (Tools>Options>Other - There's a chcek box in the "General" area).

I use this for all of the annoying "Out-of-office" replies. Works like a charm.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I work at a big box outdoor store bike shops that actually sells real bikes (sorta, we top out at 2500$ but don't sell crap) and there is an old guy in his 80's who I really wish would die already.

He has a habit of literally taking 4 hours on a tune up and then standing for the last 2 hours of his shift doing NOTHING because he can't finish one of his 4 hour tunes in that time. He also has a habbit of telling me to get to work even though I literally wrench circles around the dude, more than once I've on a sunday finished HIS repair work for the week. I tried responding with yus mastuh, but that didn't work so last time he opened his mouth my response was "I'll listen to you telling me to get to work if you can start actually working your full shift instead of standing around for 2 hours AND you have to work at half the pace I do, until then, you're not a manager so please don't talk to me"

He has also decided my mechanic work is sub par. He decided to check over 2 of my bike builds, one of them I didn't build. The other was sitting in a stand with a note saying it was too dark to test ride was having some derailleur issues due to a bent hanger and wasn't done. So those things seemed to show up on his list of mistakes as well as a front derailleur cable that was a half an inch too long.

In response to this, the head mechanic told me to go over his work. The 2 kids bikes I have touched of his have had loose quill stem bolts (SKETCH!!!!!!) and the one mountain bike I touched that he built had loose skewers.

Bottom line is he is an ornery old man who thinks his 8 years part time at a low to zero standard shop thinks he's actually a solid knowledgeable mechanic (this is the same guy who told a customer that they could slap a triple on a 10speed road bike and just adjust the shifters and front derailleurs to work on the triple, any of you mechanics knows that it wont work, and upgrading to a triple is horribly expensive)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I work at a big box outdoor store bike shops that actually sells real bikes (sorta, we top out at 2500$ but don't sell crap) and there is an old guy in his 80's who I really wish would die already.

He has a habit of literally taking 4 hours on a tune up and then standing for the last 2 hours of his shift doing NOTHING because he can't finish one of his 4 hour tunes in that time. He also has a habbit of telling me to get to work even though I literally wrench circles around the dude, more than once I've on a sunday finished HIS repair work for the week. I tried responding with yus mastuh, but that didn't work so last time he opened his mouth my response was "I'll listen to you telling me to get to work if you can start actually working your full shift instead of standing around for 2 hours AND you have to work at half the pace I do, until then, you're not a manager so please don't talk to me"

He has also decided my mechanic work is sub par. He decided to check over 2 of my bike builds, one of them I didn't build. The other was sitting in a stand with a note saying it was too dark to test ride was having some derailleur issues due to a bent hanger and wasn't done. So those things seemed to show up on his list of mistakes as well as a front derailleur cable that was a half an inch too long.

In response to this, the head mechanic told me to go over his work. The 2 kids bikes I have touched of his have had loose quill stem bolts (SKETCH!!!!!!) and the one mountain bike I touched that he built had loose skewers.

Bottom line is he is an ornery old man who thinks his 8 years part time at a low to zero standard shop thinks he's actually a solid knowledgeable mechanic (this is the same guy who told a customer that they could slap a triple on a 10speed road bike and just adjust the shifters and front derailleurs to work on the triple, any of you mechanics knows that it wont work, and upgrading to a triple is horribly expensive)

Can I have the

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Most people I work with play with dynamite. They are some of the most effed up, crazy people you ever want to meet. And a lot of fun to be around.

I, too, have the ability to tune anybody out. I can do this even while they are trying to hold a conversation with me.