Quantcast

Pereira Roaring 29er

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Tony Pereira, the builder. He might make you one if you ask nicely and are willing to wait.

www.pereiracycles.com

He's an old friend that I ran into last weekend at the handmade bike show. That rig won Best Mountain Bike and Best Fillet Brazed Bike at the show. He built it for himself and I'm pretty sure he's keeping it for himself.

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Funny, it looks just like the ones that Don McClung has been building for the last 6 years or so.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awalker/10829494/in/set-266914/

Fillet brazed, double top tube, radiused seat tube, bi-plane crown-strut fork. But I guess the prizes weren't for originality.

Alot of nice looking bikes at that show however and all the builders should be congratulated for sticking with their craft and being able to stay in business doing so. But for every one that was invited to the show there are probably 2 more that were not represented that are out there doing the same thing for a limited audience. Being a custom frame builder is not an easy existence.

mert

Chimp
Jul 17, 2006
mass
...the exact same way i lust after a mcclung! and have you seen the black sheep version with the strut fork, and the willits version.... i love that frame shape and i keep saying "one day"...

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I know Don McClung gets a pretty penny for that rig he builds, and as well he should, not complaining. I wonder what Tony P gets for something like this, and is he willing to take a softer stance on geometry than Don McClung does? Me wonders, yesss.......me wonders!

As far as I was concerned, this was the coolest mountain bike at the show,(of those that got photographed). Retro, but in a cool way. Useable and beautiful. Not like that bike Sycip came to the show with, that 80's style mtb. That bike came off a little clunky and the paint was not right for that type of bike, in my opinion.

Anyway, very sweet rig! I hope Tony P. gets to ride the crap outta that thing!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I know Don McClung gets a pretty penny for that rig he builds, and as well he should, not complaining. I wonder what Tony P gets for something like this, and is he willing to take a softer stance on geometry than Don McClung does? Me wonders, yesss.......me wonders!

As far as I was concerned, this was the coolest mountain bike at the show,(of those that got photographed). Retro, but in a cool way. Useable and beautiful. Not like that bike Sycip came to the show with, that 80's style mtb. That bike came off a little clunky and the paint was not right for that type of bike, in my opinion.

Anyway, very sweet rig! I hope Tony P. gets to ride the crap outta that thing!
One nice thing about custom builders is that they build custom bikes...I imagine he'd do whatever you want geometry-wise, but I have no idea about cost. His regular frames start at $1400, but this involves a huge amount of work. Give him a call, the number is on his website.

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni

Geo looks to be an open book there GT, but price??? same as Mr. McClung. The decision for me would be who could get it out first?

This and the Flat brown Bruce Gordon were my favs of the show.

Possum

Chimp
Sep 20, 2006
Kansas ****ty
Me likey. I think that's what my next mountain bike is going to be (except Badger). For some reason, I keep coming back to the non-sussy corrected frames with truss forks in a singlespeed. Just so simple.

Mar 23, 2007
Hey all...just found this site because so many of you have come to my site from here.

Thanks for all the compliments.

I'll build one for ya...you don't even need to ask all that nicely. I built this one for myself--call it a prototype. Yes, I was largely inspired by McClung and the Black Sheep, but also the 1923 Elgin that I have at home. It looks a lot like this:
http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/1269.htm

I have my own ideas about geometry, but I'm open to suggestions. If you have some wacky idea that I don't agree with I will tell you so.

Frame, Fork and Stem will go for around $2500 depending on paint options. My wait is typically 4-6 months, but after the success of the show this could get longer.

Cheers,

Tony Pereira