Quantcast

Perfect DH Pants? (for me)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I could use some help finding better DH pants. I have what I think of as a typical cyclist's build (thin, tall, room in legs for thicker thighs and/or thin pads), but The Industry must disagree because I haven't found the right fit yet. So far everything is either too tight to fit comfortably on my thighs, let alone leave room for pads, or so baggy it catches on the seat and requires the waist cinched.
Bonus points for anything available in "tall" because it seems most 32" pants are pretty short on me so I have to upsize to 34" to get some length and then deal with an overly large waist size.
Double bonus points if it's available in a shade of brown.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
^^ That review is pretty good. Also, they have a link to last years pants review which have even more brands.

I recently bought TLD Skyline pants. But they're not really for DH as they are a bit thin, but definitely could be. No trouble running my smallish IXS knee pads in them. I'm 6"2 and was plenty long enough. Rode them at Sol Vista in the mud/rain last weekend. Did great.

Maybe look at the TLD Resist pant?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
^^ That review is pretty good. Also, they have a link to last years pants review which have even more brands.

I recently bought TLD Skyline pants. But they're not really for DH as they are a bit thin, but definitely could be. No trouble running my smallish IXS knee pads in them. I'm 6"2 and was plenty long enough. Rode them at Sol Vista in the mud/rain last weekend. Did great.

Maybe look at the TLD Resist pant?
the skyline and resist aren't DH pants. TLD's DH pants are the sprint and sprint ultra. FWIW i got a new pair of the sprints and had to size them up b/c they were a slim cut.

@Lelandjt someone else recently suggested the DP4 pants because they come in a tall option. it doesn't sound like they are full on DH pants, but pretty close.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Thanks for the tips guys. I own TLD Sprint & Skyline. With both I tried 32 & 34 and the 32s were short and way too tight in the thigh. The 34 Sprints are a little short and too tight to wear pads. The 34 Skylines are what I use. They're close but the waist is very cinched down and gives the waist and butt a weird fit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks for the tips guys. I own TLD Sprint & Skyline. With both I tried 32 & 34 and the 32s were short and way too tight in the thigh. The 34 Sprints are a little short and too tight to wear pads. The 34 Skylines are what I use. They're close but the waist is very cinched down and gives the waist and butt a weird fit.
I've been using Skyline shorts for year but have gotten fed up with them. I know I have a 34 waist, but with their size 34 I have to max out the velcro waist adjusters - which wear out way too quickly. Just got a pair of Pearl Izumi Summit Shell shorts to try which have a single little buckle adjuster thingy and bonus, the size 34 is actually for someone with a 34" waist.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i found the sprints too tight in the thighs as well, but the fit was good when i sized up without being too loose in the waist.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I could live with the waist if they weren't also a little short. That and not being able to fit pads comfortably under keeps me from wearing them.
yea, the length / height thing i get, i'm fairly tall (6'1") and they are just barely long enough for me. Sizing up helped with the kneepad fitment aspect too.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
If some of you guys just want cheap hiker pants to ride in, take a look at the $25 Wrangler ATG line at Target. PB mentioned them a while back and I use them for trailwork, hiking, etc.
They would be fine for lift access and are more flexible and less flappy than Dickies or whatever.

HeadMaster

Chimp
Feb 8, 2019

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I bought a pair on a whim. They fit perfectly in size 32! Slim with correct fitting waist & crotch but not tight and room for pads. Why can't the rest of The Industry get sizing right?
1 1/2 seaon update: I like them so much I now have 3 pairs in different colors. No big crashes but some slide outs and the material has held up fine.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
i love my NF's (they're undoubtably more robust), but can't beat the forbemk's value. $70cdn is ridiculous. fit great, and they've yet to fall apart. think i'll pick up another pair, speaking of which.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Im 6’1 standard/slim/deadsexxy build and i really rate the Fox Ranger pants, in 34 is a good fit. Just needs a little snug on the waist and its perfect. Not overly tight or baggy. Length is right. Just bought a second set. Only one small logo btw which i like.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Does anyone make a DH trouser for a more stout build? Like someone resembling a corgi or perhaps a wombat?

Or basically not a slim fit. Why the crap are they all so tight on the legs? I'm not a friggen ballerina.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City

Love that you can have a 39 inch waist and be a medium:clapping::clapping:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Does anyone make a DH trouser for a more stout build? Like someone resembling a corgi or perhaps a wombat?

Or basically not a slim fit. Why the crap are they all so tight on the legs? I'm not a friggen ballerina.
DH riders: we don't want to wear skin suits!
also DH riders: Fox et al., please make your pants less baggy for better aerodynamics. :homer:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Definitely an issue with pants, and has to be hard to make em for this sport and riders more so than others..
Riders are usually slimmer so you try and build for the widest range they will fit.

Would love to find a good lighter winter pant for rain and chilly rides..
But it has to have a small waist, be long inseam, and fit big quads...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
DH riders: we don't want to wear skin suits!
also DH riders: Fox et al., please make your pants less baggy for better aerodynamics. :homer:
Apparel companies - "we don't understand! We sized them off our sample group of professional 22 year old, highly trained WC athletes - how can they be too tight for average beer-fuelled consumers??"

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

Sounds like you need some Euro-style knickers lol

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have the Akta pants and I love them. May not be the best for super tall dudes though. Inseams are on the short side.
They have a 30% sales at the moment.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Texas size?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was in a bike shop not too long ago and felt some of these new trousers for the mountainbiking. I used to make fun of people who rode in spandex because one crash and you nekkid. I don't really see how any of these are much different.

space pants indeed