Quantcast

Performance Car Shopping time!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A buddy of mine called me last night to ask me for some help in purchasing a new car. He currently drives a 2003 M3 convertible and is looking for something a little faster (handling and straight line).
I was given the following criteria:
1. 2-doors
2. $50k-70k range
3. Used (2-4 years)
4. Performance Car, not an overdressed pig.
5. Assumed level of baller status for very successful lawyer
6. He races AMA sport bikes, so the car has to be on par.

Current list:
Porsche GT3
Aston Martin Vantage
BMW M6

Current off list:
Audi RS4
2009 BMW M3
Porsche GT2
Porsche 911
Any Mercedes
Corvette Z06
Masserati

Can you guys think of anything else?

No matter how this works out, I'm going to have a giddy time doing test drives. It also rocks that after our last track session, when I showed him *some* of the potential of his M3, I am the only person other than his brother that is allow to drive his cars. This is gonna be sweet!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lotus. They have cars in that price range, plus you don't see too many of them on the road.

Edit: their prices are within your buddies range, but for a NEW vehicle.

Last edited:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i keep picturing your friend as looking exactly like jeremy's impression of bmw drivers on top gear.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Lotus. They have cars in that price range, plus you don't see too many of them on the road.

Edit: their prices are within your buddies range, but for a NEW vehicle.
I would suggest an Exige, but he's 6'4". Ain't gonna happen!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
if he wants it to be on par with a sport bike then i think there is really only one option...

although i'm guessing he's looking for a more practical car.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
he should buy a 2005 or 2006 wrx sti for less than 30,000 and then invest the rest of his money into the car. with the right engine, parts, and enough money he could be pushing 750whp in a 4 banger

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
he should buy a 2005 or 2006 wrx sti for less than 30,000 and then invest the rest of his money into the car. with the right engine, parts, and enough money he could be pushing 750whp in a 4 banger
Status level not there. When the $300k/yr lawyer is driving the same car his bum buddy is, it doesn't line up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If he's a former DH'er and currently racing AMA, I'm guessing he has some mechanical ability. Why not a kit car? He could build something good for the budget he's got, and it would definitely have the status level if he does it right. Not to mention braggin rights. How many lawyers do you know that have built their own sports cars?

Or he could take another route, and restore something classic.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
With that kind of coin and experience, I think you're asking the wrong bunch of people.

I see no problem with a Porsche GT3. I see the Vantage farily often around Vancouver. That is one nice car. No idea if it's any good though.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
porsche.....but more important...if he is an adult he really should drop bro and baller from his vocabulary.

Tmsracing37

Chimp
Jan 24, 2007
Hagerstown/McConnellsburg
If he is a motorcycle nut, then he probably would like the feel of the Lotus. Light, low to the ground and very snappy handling. When driving one, it reminds me of my shifter cart days.

as omeone pointed out, kit cars would be a good choice.
a Chaterham Super 7 or if status ranks are more important what about Shelby Cobra kit car. Nothing like a grumble of a 427....

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
+1 for the GT-R. Although the ones I saw in the showroom new were just over 70k, not sure how much a used one would go for if you could even find one.

That and alot of people probably cant justify spending 70k on a Nissan.
That and the fact that the transmissions are falling out left and right.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not to be a dick, but I am underwhelmed by most cars since I rode one of these:

I am getting one next week. Everything else is just a cup holder. My friend got rid of his Nismo 350z for the same reason. The 350 was nice, but it wasn't 0-60 in 2.9 seconds nice. :D

<edit> Since you are looking for status, you could also go this route (MV Agusta F4CC):

Limited edition watch included:

MSRP: $120,000

Last edited:

BillT

Monkey
The GT3 will probably be a little harsh for everyday use and not necessarily something you'd want to take a around it and they retain their value very well so it is probably out of the state range.

The Vantage is fairly new and I don't believe the depreciation curve has quite caught up to your price range either. Price aside, this would be a better choice as a daily except for the fact that it is British - you'd want the dealer close by with a complimentary loaner car program.

A GT-R is out the price range even if you could get one at MSRP but is otherwise a good choice.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The M6 is a douche-mobile.

Something about that car irritates me. I'd go M5.

How much for a used R8? (around $130,000...nevermind)

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
this thread is stupid. If he has that much money, he should pay somebody to make up his mind.

911 turbo, 930, noble m12 gto or whatever, gt40 replica/ford GT, any of the classic/80s hair metal cars, audi s8 rs6 s6 s5 (although performance won't surpass his m3 per se), new cts-v, any of the uber mercedes amg tanks

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Having driven an M6 with a Dinan exhaust I cannot reccomend it enough. rocketship acceleration. I didn't have a chance to push any handling limits as a driver, but I have as a passenger.....wow! The acceleration is top notch, its comfy as hell and not a difficult car to drive around town (no 50lb clutch here)

Of course I'm a Porshe guy, I'd say a RUF modified Cayman or a GT3 would be my first choice.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
nissan GT-R those are sick
not going to happen...they are currently selling for about 25K over sticker...which puts them right at 100K...or else I would say it's the perfect choice...and you can't find a used one just yet. They have only been available in the states less than a year.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
A buddy of mine called me last night to ask me for some help in purchasing a new car. He currently drives a 2003 M3 convertible and is looking for something a little faster (handling and straight line).
I was given the following criteria:
1. 2-doors
2. $50k-70k range
3. Used (2-4 years)
4. Performance Car, not an overdressed pig.
5. Assumed level of baller status for very successful lawyer
6. He races AMA sport bikes, so the car has to be on par.

Current list:
Porsche GT3
Aston Martin Vantage
BMW M6

Current off list:
Audi RS4
2009 BMW M3
Porsche GT2
Porsche 911
Any Mercedes
Corvette Z06
Masserati

Can you guys think of anything else?

No matter how this works out, I'm going to have a giddy time doing test drives. It also rocks that after our last track session, when I showed him *some* of the potential of his M3, I am the only person other than his brother that is allow to drive his cars. This is gonna be sweet!
Might be tough to find, but you gotta go with the 911t AWD. It wouldnt be quite the "track car" as a GT2, but much more civilized in the hands of all but the most experienced drivers. Not to mention the "potential" is as open as his checkbook and boost gauge will handle.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Your focus on "baller status" makes him sound like a tool. For racer-type performance and feel in a daily driver the Porsche sounds like the way to go. But if he wants to stand out, the Vantage should get the nod.

And IMO $300K a year is not enough to justify a $70K car.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Your focus on "baller status" makes him sound like a tool. For racer-type performance and feel in a daily driver the Porsche sounds like the way to go. But if he wants to stand out, the Vantage should get the nod.

And IMO $300K a year is not enough to justify a $70K car.
A certain level is expected within his industry. Expensive car means you get paid a lot. When you are a lawyer and getting paid a lot, you are a good lawyer. This gets you more clients and hence, more money. Upward cycle. This is why the baller status is important.

I am pushing for (in order):
Vantage
GT3
New M3
M6

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not to be a dick, but I am underwhelmed by most cars since I rode one of these:

I am getting one next week. Everything else is just a cup holder. My friend got rid of his Nismo 350z for the same reason. The 350 was nice, but it wasn't 0-60 in 2.9 seconds nice. :D

<edit> Since you are looking for status, you could also go this route (MV Agusta F4CC):

Limited edition watch included:

MSRP: $120,000

He already has a Factory Attack-Kawasaki 600 race bike and a Ducatti 999r. No more bikes needed.

lowside67

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
Since he's writing off the AWD RS4 and is up for a GT3, I assume where he's located weather isnt a concern or he has an SUV for winter.

If he's coming out of an E46 M3 cab, the GT3 is NOT the car for him. A 996 GT3 (the only one in his sub $70k budget) is a heavily track-focused car - 2 seats, stiff suspension, very low lip clearance, make it a bit of a bear as a DD. It sounds to me that the V8 Vantage is not a bad fit to what he is presumably looking for - more of a touring car. The Vantage is definitely more status than it is car, I had an opportunity to drive one and although it was a beautiful car, the performance was not leaps and bounds over my daily driver - also an E46 M3. I would also suggest a slightly used Porsche 997 C2S, they can be had at the edge of his budget and are not only much more robust and comfortable, but newer and under warranty.