Quantcast

Performance Car Shopping time!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
#1 - Why would he discredit a Z06. I drove my buddies which is bone stock and it scared the crap out of me. One of his buddies has one that just yesterday dyno'd 800 whp.

And you can get those Vettes for well under $25k. Slap a few bolt ones, plus a blower and suspension, and you're money.

On a side note, if your friend can hold out until next year and doesn't mind a new car, the Nissan GT-R will be out, and is set to be priced at $70,000. And it's got a 0-60 of 3.4 seconds.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
GT-R's blow up transmissions and the warranty is VERY limited. It's not going to happen.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i'd stay away from Porche's, never been a fan of them. the Aston Martin would be my choice, but i'd go with the DB9. i'm a huge fan of the Merc. McLaren. the price range makes it a hard sell, and it having to be used. i'd also go with the Mustang GT500 and send it back to Shelby for the retro fit, or any nice muscle car, even a re-done 69 Camaro. but those are weekend toys and he's looking for an everyday drive. the Aston, Merc and Audi R9

BillT

Monkey
Out of curiousity I did a quick Autotrader search and the cheapest GT3 was over $100k and the cheapest Vantage that showed up was like $90k. You could probably find a older 996 turbo in the upper end of your friend's price range, but it may be beat up a bit.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i'd stay away from Porche's, never been a fan of them. the Aston Martin would be my choice, but i'd go with the DB9. i'm a huge fan of the Merc. McLaren. the price range makes it a hard sell, and it having to be used. i'd also go with the Mustang GT500 and send it back to Shelby for the retro fit, or any nice muscle car, even a re-done 69 Camaro. but those are weekend toys and he's looking for an everyday drive. the Aston, Merc and Audi R9
Uhh...$70k max? Reading Comprehension? Bueller? Bueller?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Out of curiousity I did a quick Autotrader search and the cheapest GT3 was over $100k and the cheapest Vantage that showed up was like $90k. You could probably find a older 996 turbo in the upper end of your friend's price range, but it may be beat up a bit.
ebay.com

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You don't want a GT3 that someone is willing to part with for $70k.
Through dealership, with warranty. There are a lot of people who need to dump highend cars right now. Many, many hedge funds are going under. Morgan Stanley and Citigroup are letting go 10% of employees. These cars are becoming available.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Status level not there. When the $300k/yr lawyer is driving the same car his bum buddy is, it doesn't line up.
:plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown:

The most successful and wealthy man I know grew up dirt poor in Brooklyn, Washington near the coast. He and his brother where loggers who built their own business up from nothing. Through a series of good financial, timber and land investments he was able to comfortably retire at age 55. The cool thing about him was how down to earth and unpretentious he is - a self made man who doesn't judge the worth of himself or others by the car they choose to drive.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A certain level is expected within his industry. Expensive car means you get paid a lot. When you are a lawyer and getting paid a lot, you are a good lawyer. This gets you more clients and hence, more money. Upward cycle. This is why the baller status is important.
Being invited to present argument before the United Stated Supreme Court can have a similar, more permanent effect on a lawyers ability to get paid.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
:plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown:

The most successful and wealthy man I know grew up dirt poor in Brooklyn, Washington near the coast. He and his brother where loggers who built their own business up from nothing. Through a series of good financial, timber and land investments he was able to comfortably retire at age 55. The cool thing about him was how down to earth and unpretentious he is - a self made man who doesn't judge the worth of himself or others by the car they choose to drive.
I've never understood the desire to make money only for the sake of making money. I've known people like that too - they worked really hard (ie gave up a lot), were frugal, retired comfortably, couldn't get out of frugal mode, and will die with a lot of money. What's the point? I say if you earn it, spend it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've never understood the desire to make money only for the sake of making money. I've known people like that too - they worked really hard (ie gave up a lot), were frugal, retired comfortably, couldn't get out of frugal mode, and will die with a lot of money. What's the point? I say if you earn it, spend it.
The man I'm referring to is Bob Sholes I don't suspect he is motivated by solely by money.

Bob & Haldis are pictured on the right. Classy people. :) Probably not the wealthiest people in the world but certainly the most well off couple that I know.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
if i was dropping 60 or 70 k on a used car it would be:

used s8
rs6
m6
m5
porshe turbo
noble m12 (i think)

no british crap, have lived with two land rovers and know lots of ppl wth ranges- biggest pos's ever (and yes even beemers have these problems but not as badly)

e55 (mait costs though)
s65 used
sl55/65 used

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
and serial, in missoula, if your a lawyer, you drive a nice car. period end of story. best lawyers here have the best cars. fact

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Don't people of status buy their sh*t new?

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You say he doesn't want an overdressed pig, yet he's considering a Vantage and M6?

Go big or go home. GT3, early 00's Ferrari 360/late 90s 550, or maybe a Gallardo if he can land a screaming deal on one.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You say he doesn't want an overdressed pig, yet he's considering a Vantage and M6?

Go big or go home. GT3, early 00's Ferrari 360/late 90s 550, or maybe a Gallardo if he can land a screaming deal on one.
He knows the Vantage is an overdressed pig, but damn, it's one sexy overdressed pig.

M6? He likes the shape:disgust1: I just can't seem to talk him out of it. That being said, he's got bids out on a few GT3's :busted:

Lambo is out, too flashy. to most people, GT3 = porsche; to enthusiast, GT3 = SWEET!.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
He knows the Vantage is an overdressed pig, but damn, it's one sexy overdressed pig.

M6? He likes the shape:disgust1: I just can't seem to talk him out of it. That being said, he's got bids out on a few GT3's :busted:

Lambo is out, too flashy. to most people, GT3 = porsche; to enthusiast, GT3 = SWEET!.
a DB9 is a better choice the a Vantage...its a lot cheaper and nearly as fast.

whats wrong w/ a M6??:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/372-Kph-BMW-M6-By-GPower_190233.htm

if he's looking to spend $70k+ then a Lambo would be definitely out...and why you would pick a Lambo over a Ferrari i dont know.
GT3's are nice, but GT3 RS's are nicer...but not like a GT2...

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
He wants something rare, exotic, and fast as all hell.
No anti-lock stoppers.
No queer ass air bags.
Out and out go fast, sexy as Salma Hayek in a thong bikini, and will drop panties faster then 3 vicodin, a shot of rumplemintz and a ruphie put together.

I give you the:
TVR Sagaris

Sex on wheels.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
HAHA TVR....thats a good one.

great car if you like a car with ill fitting panels, impossible to drive and over priced.

oh and no air bags and or no abs makes it not legal in the states

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
HAHA TVR....thats a good one.

great car if you like a car with ill fitting panels, impossible to drive and over priced
The panels suck, you've got me there.
We drove one in the UK (my wife's dad's ride) and it wasn't that impossible to drive, just had to get a feel for her.

And everything on this list is over priced.

I suppose since this is my idea of the perfect car:

that maybe my concepts are skewed from this particular problem set's requirements.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its not impossible when you drive it like a 80 year old woman, but if he's gonna get on the car, which im sure he is judging by this kids list of cars, then TVR are notorious for biting back REAL hard.

the Ariel Atom 500 V8 would be my choice...its got a F1 inspired 2.4L V8 making 500hp
http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8

thatll get the piss flowing

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
its not impossible when you drive it like a 80 year old woman, but if he's gonna get on the car, which im sure he is judging by this kids list of cars, then TVR are notorious for biting back REAL hard.
I was getting on it when we went to the track with the TVR, and I just had to learn to respect her limits. More then once she bit back, and it got right up and bit you on the inside of your ass (like rainbows) and I had to learn to respect her authority.

In a lot of ways it reminded me of Cartman as a car with a 550hp plant.

He wants something exotic. Not much is more out there then the TVR.

Though I was watching Topgear and if he really wants to blow coin I hear there is a super monster of a bitch mother super car being built in Switzerland.

the Ariel Atom 500 V8 would be my choice...its got a F1 inspired 2.4L V8 making 500hp
http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8
Hard to get a HJ from your secretary or ambitious big boobed law clerk in one of those without the neighbors noticing though.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
have you tried?
and if your neighbors watch, they pay
Once upon a time I tried to get some lovin in a sand rail.
My neighbors like to judge, not fork over cash for good live action sex shows.